We all love listening to music here, how many play it too?

Do you play an instrument?

• Nope

Votes: 37 22.3%
  • Sort of, still getting at it

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • Yep

Votes: 97 58.4%

• Total voters
I hear ya - Had to sell my Fender P years back but I still have a Squier Jazzmaster in a Gator case stashed behind the couch_:D

Never played an instrument, but many assume I was a musician. I was an active band parent for two musically gifted sons. Both played Carnegie Hall with their high school band . I once got to conduct the high school band, though it had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with how many raffle tickets I bought.

My day job. Principal viola of a Canadian orchestra.

But I still love playing guitar. When I get stuck on a particularly treacherous viola passage, I often pick up an acoustic guitar and sing a Kinks or Beatles cover (or an original).

I actually got a SOCAN royalty check for airplay of this song I wrote for the old band.

http://tindeck.com/listen/viyp

Well, your day job sounds very cool.

I can play at least 2 chords, maybe 3 on the guitar. And no one can play a boring blues lick like me on the guitar!

I do a bit better on the electric bass.

Children run home crying to their mother's if I sing - it ain't pretty.

I can play at least 2 chords, maybe 3 on the guitar. And no one can play a boring blues lick like me on the guitar!

I do a bit better on the electric bass.

Children run home crying to their mother's if I sing - it ain't pretty.

Here is my hero, the Crown Prince of Punk, Prince Igor Stravinsky, talking about the famous eight note chord (E flat major 7, with an E Major chord under it), with only rhythmic accents as "melody", and which caused the famous riot at its premiere in 1913.
Only 2 chords. Played at the same time.

Last edited:
Here is my hero, the Crown Prince of Punk, Prince Igor Stravinsky, talking about the famous eight note chord (E flat major 7, with an E Major chord under it), with only rhythmic accents as "melody", and which caused the famous riot at its premiere in 1913.
Only 2 chords. Played at the same time.

Very cool, thanks for posting that.

Well, I don't make a living with my guitar and singing, but I do pick up a bit of cash now and then when I play for my friends. I charge $2 to stop singing, and a buck to stop playing. I'm usually successful enough to get the whole $3.

Christine likes it well enough to keep her $3, but not enough to pay $3 to hear it, which makes her my biggest fan.

I play guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, dulcimer, piano, and drums. I do the whole home recording thing and I've built a studio in my basement with both analog and digital recording. It's my passion :)

Keyboard amateur. I know some chords..no training but for some reason if I can find that opening chord I know what comes next and I don't mean Just a simple CFG .
Yellow Brick Road is the kind of thing I like..put on the Elton CD and play along

Hey mystic your avatar baseball dude looks like the players in the movie the warriors.
I have hacked away at keyboards, took lessons for about 6 months and quit, bought an analog SH1000 Roland synth and thought I was going to be the next Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman, LOL
Then I bumped into Wendy Carlos and said fugettaboutit.

While I prefer to sing, I started learning mandolin (first stringed instrument I wanted) about 10 years ago. Then picked up the Ukelele in honor of a friend who passed about 7 yrs ago. Not saying I play great but I enjoy picking with friends. I was raised by a percussionist who played a mean Juice harp (joke my dad used to say) and had a whole bag of "noisemakers" so I learned to play the clackamore, fish, spoons, shakers, etc. at a pretty young age.

Last edited:
Playing guitar since the age of 12. Around here, it's a birthright, and expected of you. After all, my grandad dug coal at Paradise Mines with the one and only Merle Travis, who wrote "16 Tons".

True story. I work in Muhlenburg County, that place mentioned by John Prine. Cannot throw a rock without hitting an amazing guitar player.

I must modestly confess that I have been called "the best blues kazooist in the Midwest," however this was by people who had never heard any blues kazooist ever before in their lives. I also play harmonica, the stoneware bass (musical jug), and I dabble in playing various members of the ukulele family.[/Q

I love the kazoo. My friend plays an electric kazoo that he made.:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom