Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

Very true! And local prices can be surprising. I’ve found some stuff I researched online went for quite a bit more than my research led me to believe.

Stopped at an estate sale not too far from us looking for a lamp my wife saw on the Web site. I volunteered to go because, you know, audio stuff should be there as well. There was a Dual turntable, but they wanted too much. So I looked through the records - the usual, a dollar a pop, but mostly schmaltz. Then this caught my eye - a mono black label Atlantic pressing of the Modern Jazz Quartet. Not in too bad of shape - more dirty than scratched. Quick check on Discogs shows suggested sale price of $65.

IMG_20190224_130329.jpg IMG_20190224_130255.jpg

So I bought it, took it home and cleaned it up, thinking I'd flip it if I didn't like it.
While listening to it, I took a better look at Discogs and saw that it regularly sells for ~$10 in NM condition. One person a few years ago paid $65 for it, for who knows what reason, and everybody else pays about $10. My scroe got shot down in flames.

Luckily, it's not a bad record at all. Especially for a buck.

Stopped at an estate sale not too far from us looking for a lamp my wife saw on the Web site. I volunteered to go because, you know, audio stuff should be there as well. There was a Dual turntable, but they wanted too much. So I looked through the records - the usual, a dollar a pop, but mostly schmaltz. Then this caught my eye - a mono black label Atlantic pressing of the Modern Jazz Quartet. Not in too bad of shape - more dirty than scratched. Quick check on Discogs shows suggested sale price of $65.

View attachment 1438422 View attachment 1438423

So I bought it, took it home and cleaned it up, thinking I'd flip it if I didn't like it.
While listening to it, I took a better look at Discogs and saw that it regularly sells for ~$10 in NM condition. One person a few years ago paid $65 for it, for who knows what reason, and everybody else pays about $10. My scroe got shot down in flames.

LOL, as the record says "One Never Knows" - until you do more research. From time to time I'll do a search on my phone that gives me higher value results than when I get home and look it up on a the computer.
I think I got a scroe and discover all I got is crow.

View attachment 1438422 View attachment 1438423

Maybe it was sealed. Or autographed. Lots of things can create a high outlier.

This reminds me of this time last year, when I found Nautilus 805 Signatures in Tigers Eye for $200. Seller had no idea what he had. They needed a tweeter(one was mashed up and missing the enclosure), but that was only another $200 from B&W. Also got the HTM2 Nautilus center for an extra $100. Found them at an estate sale where my friend was buying a pair of CDM1NT's for $150. Also found tons of cables, blu rays, and some extremely rare books. Dunno if I'll ever score like that again.

This reminds me of this time last year, when I found Nautilus 805 Signatures in Tigers Eye for $200. Seller had no idea what he had. They needed a tweeter(one was mashed up and missing the enclosure), but that was only another $200 from B&W. Also got the HTM2 Nautilus center for an extra $100. Found them at an estate sale where my friend was buying a pair of CDM1NT's for $150. Also found tons of cables, blu rays, and some extremely rare books. Dunno if I'll ever score like that again.

Dang, nice score! Thats the thing isn't it - some finds are so good you can't imagine doing better.

No audio today, but I had a couple of great scores.

Stanley Bedrock 605 1/4 plane. $20.

Filson waxed jacket with wool liner. $1.

It's an All-American TRF made around 1926 prior to the merger with Mohawk. It's one of my only complaints of Alan Douglas' book "Radio Manufacturers of the 1920's" when he lumped both companies together as All-American Mohawk. Both companies were very much independent of each other up until around 1928 when the companies merged only to be sold to Wurlitzer and moved to NY a few months later. All American was Einar N. Rauland's radio company. Rauland specialized in transformers and also owned radio station WENR. Everything was located

Sorry I am late, but your All-American set was made before the merger with Mohawk so it is technically an All-American Radio (less the Mohawk name). Probably a 1926 model. AA made all the parts necessary for several plan built kits from simple 1 tube sets all the way to high-end superhet sets. Your set looks like a TRF to me and if it has no panel engravings then it almost certainly was built from plans or as a kit. Similar to the model R, but with 3 dials. The Lyric R500 audio transformers were of high quality and may still work unlike many others from the period. Your set looks clean and complete so it may work as it sits. Einar N. Rauland founded the company in 1920 as All American Electrical Manufacturers making electrical supplies and transformers. In 1922 the company was incorporated as Rauland Mfg Co. All American Radio Co was incorporated in 1925. All-American made a ton of transformers under the AA name and also for other manufacturers during the 20's radio boom years. Rauland reported a loss almost every year in the manufacturing business, but was able to found WENR radio station in 1924 and purchased 152 acres of land in Deerfield (Chicago suburb) in 1925 as an investment. He sold WENR to Samuel Insull in 1927 and made a fortune. In 1928 he merged with Mohawk Corp and possibly Buckingham Radio and within a couple months sold out to Wurlitzer who soon after moved the factories to North Tonawonda, NY. The AA factory, WENR studio, and transmitting tower were all located at 4201 Belmont Ave in Chicago. The smokestacks and radio tower were demolished years ago, but the building is still standing and can be viewed on street view of google maps. Rauland also was a director of the RMA (radio mfgrs assoc). Later Rauland made picture tubes and sold that company to Zenith in 1948. Legacies of his name and business ventures remain today: www.rauland.com
So what is it really?

3B9096FB-31D2-4640-AAE1-52F9907DB075.jpeg 9D4DD3C2-B7B6-4A97-99C7-C62C30E5F0FB.jpeg
I found a NM Technics SL-Q200 turntable with what looks like a brand new Technics cartridge ($50), and a Sherwood RX-4109 receiver ($15) this week among other pieces, some neat, some dubious.

2977IMG_4025.JPG IMG_4026.JPG IMG_4027.JPG IMG_4028.JPG

I havent found anything in a long while so i knew i was due. i had planned to hit this sale yesterday but they cancelled at the last second because of illness. they re-posted the ad this morning at 11 am so i moseyed over. it was the estate sale of a former musician and they had lots of band stuff and a smattering of home audio stuff. i probably should go back.
denon dp-52f
vandersteen model 2ce
kef 105.4

Last edited:
2977View attachment 1452121 View attachment 1452122 View attachment 1452123 View attachment 1452124

I havent found anything in a long while so i knew i was due. i had planned to hit this sale yesterday but they cancelled at the last second because of illness. they re-posted the ad this morning at 11 am so i moseyed over. it was the estate sale of a former musician and they had lots of band stuff and a smattering of home audio stuff. i probably should go back.
denon dp-52f
vandersteen model 2ce
kef 105.4
PLEASE tell me you went back and got some of this stuff....

Back
Top Bottom