What amp drives your Infinities?

I have tried a lot of amps for my Infinity RS 2.5 speakers, and about 20 years ago settled on the NYAL Moscode 600 as having the detail, power and ability to deal with the low impedance. Plus it has a slightly warm tube openness, probably from the tube driver circuit. I suspect the Moscode 300 might be adequate and I have a friend who said it was even more detailed, but it's not the one I found.

I did try using an original MC-275 for the highs with Adcom 555 on the lows about 25 years ago, and that was NOT the answer. I preferred the 555 full range.

Anyone with experience with a Nikko Alpha 440? I found one locally for cheap. Do they have adequate current capability to drive my Gamma's woofers (same as Kappa 9)?
Just wondering.....
Dave

I had a pair of Nikko Alpha 450's (same out put just slightly different meter design) powering a pair of Infinity QLS-1's. The QLS only had 1 woofer per side, however very inefficient Watkins. It did fine for these (active crossover and biamped).

I also have the IRS Beta's (4 12" woofers per side (2x's that of the Gamma)). On this I run a Nikko Alpha 650 (biamped / Alpha VI on top) on these and it does fine (330 w/ch vs 220/ch on the 440). I'd like a little more power; but I never come close to clipping and have plenty of SPL. I think you'll be fine.

Also if you get a good deal on it and don't like it just sell it again. No loss / risk likely.

Good luck.

diy class d hypex ucd700hg monoblocks 700watt/4ohm with linear power supplies.

they are great sounding amps and they drine wonderfull my ren 90`s.

RS 3001 driven by Yamaha CR 840
RS 4001 driven by Yamaha A 27
Modest, but hey, sounds pretty sweet in my opinion.

pair of Infinity Beta 20's driven with JVC RX-817V (bedroom) 2.0
pair of Infinity Sm-115's (front) and Primus 152's (rear) with Yamaha Rx-v663 5.1

Note that these are used for mainly home movie theater:

I will say this, between the beta 20's and the sm-115's, I so love the beta 20's better! Even though they're only 2 way bookshelf speakers I think they sound so much better than the 3 way 115's! And the Primus 152's are decent as the rear until I crank up the Yamaha..then the bass totally gets distorted!! and I'm not even close to pushing the max on the receiver. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a bass fanatic. The sm-115's are clear but definitely lacking that extra punch. The Beta 20's are good but sometimes can have too much BASS at times, making the mids and highs sometimes hard to make out! But they sound great when you start out DSOTM.

Kappa 8.1 Series II driven by a Carver A 400 X (200w 8 ohm / 300w 4 ohm) in 2 ch room

Interlude IL-60 (500w internal subs in cabinet plus 3 way speaker), IL-30 and Alpha 37c driven by Harman/Kardon AVR 520 (75 w/ch) in Home Theatre

Last edited:
Nice setup musicom! Have you ever done a comparison of the Interludes and the Kappas in your 2 channel rig?

I have a Plinius Hiato integrated for my Kappa 7, they are soon to be changed to RS2B.
It sounds like Plinius are a wery good match.

Attachments

• IMG_5938.jpg
    IMG_5938.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 117
Rotel RB-990BX

Just picked up a Rotel RB-990BX for Free.99. It's currently powering (no pun intended) a set of Infinity RS-6000A's that I rehabbed. I really like this amp. Plenty of power and very clean. I don't know a lot about it other than what is in the owner's manual. 200W/ch into 8 Ohms and 330 into 4. My Yammie cr-2020 functions as the preamp and seems to pair up well with the amp. Still auditioning the setup but so far so good!

Attachments

• Rotel 005a.jpg
    Rotel 005a.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
get yourself a seperate preamp

Just picked up a Rotel RB-990BX for Free-99. It's currently powering (no pun intended) a set of Infinity RS-6000A's that I rehabbed. I really like this amp. Plenty of power and very clean. I don't know a lot about it other than what is in the owner's manual. 200W/ch into 8 Ohms and 330 into 4. My Yammie cr-2020 functions as the preamp and seems to pair up well with the amp. Still auditioning the setup but so far so good!
I used my yammi 1020 for preamp for a while. Separate preamp was purchased a yammi cx2. It makes a difference.

Rotel Impressions...

Auditioned the Rotel RB-990BX for the better part of the week and am currently (Friday PM) blowin' the roof off with the Sonny Rollins recording of 'Movin Out', a jazz record from 1954, complemented with a bottle of Donum Pinot. Soundstage is wide and spacious, effortless, with a lot of low end "grunt" when called upon. High end is neutral and transparent. Mids are warm and friendly. Great amp. Competent speakers. Lacking in extreme low end, but great midrange, brilliant tweeters. Very happy with this setup.....

I'm biamping my 3007s with a pair of McIntosh MC30s on the highs with a Cerwin Vega M200 for the bottom.
Works pretty well for my tastes:music:

At the moment I run a Kenwood 6600 reciever on my SM-150's, after wednesday they will have a HH Scott 335R. It's going to sound so cool!

Infinity 7 Kappas and their playmates

When I bought my 7 Kappas [1994? 1995?], I had one of them there big [Chatsworth] Marantz stereo amps ["310"?] and a Marantz 3800 [3600?] pre-amp. Steely edge; there was NO steely edge when I demo'd the speakers for FIVE HOURS [!!!] at the dealer's. So I borrowed five solid-state stereo amps and monobloc sets, and found that easily the best-sounding were the B&K "Sonata" monoblocs. Bought them, brought them home. HUGE improvement...but still...there was this faint, thin metalic "edge" in the sound.... Went back and got a USED B&K "Pro-5" pre-amp. BINGO!!! Bliss.

-- Bill

First amp that worked for me on Reference Sixes was the Yamaha DSP-A1.

Now using a Yamaha RX-Z11 in a 11.2 system which works equally well for six Reference Sixes and a Kappa 5.1 II as center channel. Four RS-225s serve as presence speakers. Subs are Velodyne HGS 15 and 12.

In Bedroom, In a 5.1 system, I have two Reference Sixes and two Reference Fives with a Kappa Center channel, all driven by another Z11. Velodyne HGS10 for sub.

The Z11 is able to drive the low impedance excursions of the woofers without blinking.

All speakers have had the woofers refoamed and most mid-ranges. I haven't done anything to the crossovers yet.

right now it's Yammy power on the RS4.5's: the newly recapped/calibrated B-1 on top and the recently recapped/calibrated PC5002M on the woofers in a passive biamp setup.

sounds very nice and natural. not that i don't love what i'm hearing, but i'm waiting to see if there is any noticeable break-in with the B-1. it's been a long time since i've had the amp here, and vocals are better than i remember. it's a muscular amp that's very poised and musical - i wonder if it isn't a touch less "sweet" than the B-2, since at least with my setup and listening room that's not an adjective i'd lead off with.

Back
Top Bottom