What amp drives your Infinities?

jimreeves:

I run a couple of Parasound 3500's and there IS a difference in the dynamics of my 4.5's when I hook them up vertically. Don't ask my why though.

Welcome tybrad! Your G9000 is rated for 4 & 8 ohms so should be fine with the Kappa 7(.1?)s, just watch for excess heat at higher volumes. Curious that it specs 160wpc with either load?
The Kappa's don't have watkins woofers but should be nice regardless. Are your Kappa's ported?

Thanks Jim-
Excited to be a part of the community! Yeah, I took the double spec thing to mean that the amp section is very stable under non-8 loads, or that it is a high current amp (?). I didn't look at the speaker label, but it was ad'd as K7. It is not ported, has mid & high pots on rear lower, a 10" barker, polydome mid, EMIT tweet.

Would replacing the stock woofs with Watkins 10"-ers gain me anything?

So, does a speaker's impedance decrease with higher output voltage, current, or both (power)?

I am in process of putting together a vintage system that was my dream system (but unaffordable with being a freshman at university) around 1980. Yes, I know the Kaps don't qualify, but I was wanting the audio signal to end with the best resolution and dynamics that I can afford. As mentioned, I have a Sansui G9000, Technics SL1800 table coming, am thinking of adding a late 70's cassette deck, 8-track player, and a very early B&O CD-50 player (doesn't qualify for my late 70's/ 1980 period system either... it just screams early digital!).

Last edited:
Thanks Jim-
It is not ported, has mid & high pots on rear lower, a 10" barker, polydome mid, EMIT tweet.

So, does a speaker's impedance decrease with higher output voltage, current, or both (power)?

Impedance changes with frequency, usually (but not always) dips low in the bass frequencies til it peaks at woofer resonance frequency.

I think those that know prefer the earlier, acoustic suspension (non-ported) Kappa's. I've never had the pleasure myself.

http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/technik/manuals/Kappa_7.1_technical_sheet.pdf

http://audio-database.com/INFINITY/speaker/kappa7_1i-e.html

I've been using this MPA3250 for a while now..

3 Channels ---- 250W into 8 ohms/400W 4 ohms and 750W peak into 2 Ohms sound is great and compared to some of the other big ones I really can't hear a difference except that the really low end is very tight now.
The Q3's kick my SX1250's out and the lights start to dim on my KR9600 receivers.

Last edited:
Amps for Infinities..

Hi everyone,

My IRS Sigma are powered by a Krell FPB 200 for the low-end and a Harman Kardon X-I for the mids- and highs (DBX 223XL crossover):music:

The Renaissance 90:s are connected to two Sony TA-N9000ES five-channel amps using two channels/amp for lows and two channels for mids- and highs... That leaves two channels to cope with the Modulus satellites.:D

Regards

Lansen

Hi
Renaissance 90: are connected to two sansui AU ALPHA 607 NRA II vertical bi-amping( passive)Waiting for a Sansui B2301 japan for Renaissance 90

Nice setup musicom! Have you ever done a comparison of the Interludes and the Kappas in your 2 channel rig?

When I first got the IL60's, I placed them in the 2 ch room for a comparison test. The IL had a touch more bass when demanding music called for it (but they also have more power from the 500w internal amps). The Carver can draw enough power from the outlet to dim the house lights, but it's not a Sunfire or Magnetic Field amp and has its limits (I compared it to the A760x at time of purchase and the higher powered Carver was way better, but cost way more). The Kappa8 outshines the IL60's in detail, clarity and front to back depth. Where the Kappas "disappear", you know that the IL 60's are in the room. The Kappas also are much more revealing and can show up failures in the music source than the IL'S. On more than many occasions I have thought that the Kappas were damaged only to note that the recording was poorly put together (more and more a problem when engineers think that they don't need to exercise care because it's "digital". I'd say that the IL's are about 90% of what the Kappas are and they went into the HT room as planned in a day or so.

Last edited:
Infinity RS5000 upstairs in office driven by Pioneer SA-8800 (80 WPC) primarily for vinyl. RS3000's down stairs driven by a Sony DE985 at 100 WPC :)

I have the IRS Beta's that I purchased back in 1990 and use an Aragon 2004 (200 wpc 4 ohm) for the panels and an Aragon 4004 (400 wpc 4 ohm) for the Woofer towers. They are both mil-spec made in the USA. I remember them as being good value for the money back then. I did demo Audio Research in my home at the time but didn't think they were worth the about 3K each.

Just found this site. Having Mr. Watkins re-foam four of the woofers as we speak. Was able to purchase four new ones from Harman (before they ran out of stock) but not the Servo Control Woofer.

Cheryl

Last edited:
Dual Mono Amps

I have a question for you techies out there.

My two Aragon amps are "Dual-Mono". What's the difference between that and a "stereo" amp?

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl

dual mono are two amps in one box.

that means that power supply and transformer are all dual.

one stereo amp may use one transformer or even one power supply for both channels.

dual mono are two amps in one box.

that means that power supply and transformer are all dual.

one stereo amp may use one transformer or even one power supply for both channels.

Are there any benefits or disadvantages to designing amps that way?

supposedly dual mono design is better as

each channel does not interact with each other, a large power
demand on one channel does not cause a demand on the other. Is it hype? My acurus a 250 is the little brother of your
aragon I have never noticed one channel causing an ill effect
on the other as most stereo recordings have pretty much the same volume level and demands as the other.

Funny, I could swear I posted something here yesterday, but I guess it got lost in cyber-limbo. Here goes another stab at it....

goldmund telos?

Nope, but I wouldn't complain if it were! :no: :D

I almost want to write, "Give the man half a cookie", for getting the right brand, without adding the right model number, but heck, here's a whole box of cyber-cookies, just for getting the brand. :D Yep, I'm getting a Yamaha 101M to power my Infinities (and other speakers). Basically a huge, "statement" pair of 500 wpc extremely-low-distortion monoblocks built into one large, heavy and sturdy case. :banana:

While I've never heard this exact pairing before, from everything I have been able to determine, it should be a very good match-up, not just between amp and speakers, but between sources+preamp, and power amp, too. It's the last/weakest link in a system that "should" sound really, really nice. At least I'm hoping it will! MarkB has (or has had) the professional near-equivalent (almost identical) amp powering part of his Betas, and has only good things to say about the sound. I'm really hoping it will sound as good in real life, as I'm hoping it will. :)scratch2:...if that isn't redundant! :D)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom