What can I do to speed up my slowpoke 99 Silverado truck?

i put a k&n filter in an '89 gmc sierra and noticed a difference. nothing insane but enough to justify the cost. i had a v8 so i probably didn't need it to begin with but it did improve the gas mileage.

As a auto tech of 35 years I would say forget the add on stuff and start with the basic's
Compression check, Tune up and whoaru99's suggestion of making sure that the tranny downshift's properly.
You will find your answers there.

As a auto tech of 35 years I would say forget the add on stuff and start with the basic's
Compression check, Tune up and whoaru99's suggestion of making sure that the tranny downshift's properly.
You will find your answers there.

This. Bring it back to 100% first. After that, chip + cold air intake/headers/exhaust if you're still not satisfied.

The 4.3L V6 in that rig is supposed to be about 195HP, sure it's not a mountain-mover, but it's a good engine and really shouldn't have much trouble moving that pickup without a load.

I'm guessing something is wrong as mentioned in the earlier threads. No sense even considering aftermarket power mods until all that basic stuff is checked out first.

That's my experience. My father-in-law had a mid 90's Chevy (C1500?) w/ V6. I used the truck quite a bit to move stuff around and never felt it was underpowered. It wasn't overpowered but it had more than enough grunt to merge & climb grades. I agree that it seems like something is just 'off' with the baseline performance.

The truck probably has a straight six in it. Chevy's are simple. Drop a v-8 in the bitch.

No, it's not a straight 6. It's a Vortec 4.3L V6.

And, living in California, may have vehicle inspections which might preclude such a swap...dunno.

At any rate, it's probably more than just dropping in a different mill given all the electronics. Would at least have to change the computer too.

Yup, might as well do (or at least check) the standard tune-up stuff too.

Fuel filter, fuel pressure, air filter, plugs, distributor cap/rotor, wires, timing, check for vacuum leaks, maybe even check compression, check that transmission downshifts properly, etc.

Don't disagree with any of these performance mods in general, but yeah, putting nitrous or a turbo on stock gasser engine at 150K miles is probably asking to pick the crankshaft off the pavement.

Also, my experience with chips and power programmers on relatively sedate vehicles like V6 gas pickup trucks is...don't waste your time. Not much hidden performance there, IMHO.

Ayup! Stay simple and inexpensive. A tune up, with new plugs, wires, rotor distributor cap, check your fuel delivery and exhaust system for problems.

Edit: Dropping in a V8 in a California truck, would likely mean acquiring either a new engine, transmission and electrical & exhaust system, or sourcing one from a nearly identical wreck. Neither of which would be cheap.

Last edited:
I think the real answer is a V-8. My 2000 Silverado has the 5.3 vortec and is -anything but- a slug. ( even though it's a 4x4) The thing will flat out scoot... and will pull 20-21 highway mpg running empty! (18.5 mpg for all around driving)

However, bearing in mind the expense and trouble of an engine swap, I'd just hang with what you've got until it's time to buy the next one.

1. Get a smaller, lighter more fuel efficient car for your light transportation needs. Keep the truck for when you absolutely need it's few virtues.

2. If #1 is not practical lighten the truck. Take out all the heavy "junk" not absolutely needed. You only need a spare tire, a jack, a lug wrench. Or remove those things too and just carry a cell phone for emergencies. Whatever you're comfortable with.

3. If you have to replace ol' Pokey with another truck try to match the engine with the work load. Too small an engine in a heavy vehicle wastes gas because it runs at higher rpms in lower gears trying to do what an adequate engine can do in high gear. And the big gas savers: (1) opt for a standard shift transmission. For mileage nothing beats a solid mechanical connection 'tween the engine and the drive wheels. And (2) No 4-wheel drive.

You only need a spare tire, a jack, a lug wrench.

You don't even need that if you want to be totally hardcore. On the WRX site that I frequent, a can of Fix-A-Flat is all that is needed and an AAA membership if that won't do.

It's been awhile since I've driven my dads old 90 GMC with the 4.3, but 55 seems rather slow on a hill to me.

If you want a good running truck to drive, figure out what is wrong with the 4.3.

If you want a hot rod truck, do the V8 swap. It'll be a lot of work, time and possibly money depending on your resourcefulness. If you're serious about a V8 swap......you're asking questions on the wrong forum :D .......... Try fullsizechevy.com

Do a complete major tune-up. Don't forget to change the spark-plug wires and maybe upgrade to better spark-plugs (Platinums or iridiums).

Check timing & compression as well. Clean throttle body and get a can of fuel injection cleaner at K-mart or Walmart.

Change the oil/filter.

Check all filters (Air / fuel).

Something cheap, install a Low restriction air-filter (ex. K&N, etc.)

If catalytic converter is bad, upgrade to a hi-flow cat.

If you have extra cash, install after market headers and a low restriction exhaust muffler (Flowmaster, Etc.)

If you still have extra cash, ECU upgrade or high performance computer chip (Ex. hypertech, Superchip, Jet, etc.)

Goto this site for more information:http://summitracing.com

Good-Luck!

I agree with getting it running right first.

If the O2 sensor is original then replace it.

Make sure the Cat. Converter isn’t clogged.

Replace the plugs with ones identical with the originals. For some reason some engines don’t like the expensive super plugs, or even different brands. (My Montecarlo had a bad misfire with Bosch and Champion plugs.)

As for mods I wouldn’t invest much, possibly a K&N filter and maybe a high flow muffler if you can stand the noise.

If you install a Chip, Air Box, and Headers / exhaust you might at best get at 15 HP gain at full throttle (if it even still runs right) and shorten the life of the motor. By then you will have spent more than you would to sell the truck and buy a similar one with a V-8.

If you still can’t go over 55 then how about adding an amp and speakers and just enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom