What genres of music do you listen to - please read post first!

What are your favorite genres of music?

• Classical

Votes: 196 34.5%
  • Country

Votes: 86 15.1%
  • Dance/Alternative

Votes: 67 11.8%
  • Jazz/Swing

Votes: 260 45.8%
  • Opera

Votes: 24 4.2%
  • Pop

Votes: 116 20.4%
  • Rap

Votes: 32 5.6%
  • Rock

Votes: 434 76.4%
  • Techno/Rave

Votes: 53 9.3%
  • Blues

Votes: 241 42.4%
  • Folk

Votes: 119 21.0%
  • Reggae

Votes: 55 9.7%
  • Other - Please Specify

Votes: 104 18.3%

• Total voters
I voted rock, but I listened to the Jazz CD I got at the AK Fest 2007 and really liked it. The DVD was great too, as it sounded good on the HT setup. I'm more open to Jazz now than ever in my life. Cool tunes!

sleddogman said:
...Other would be things like the majority of the Windham Hills catalog, Beaver & Krause, Acoustic Alchemy, Celtic music, etc.

Same here. Plus Bluegrass as others mentioned. I think if you ran a Bluegrass tune through a supercollider (atom smasher) you would get folk, jazz and maybe a few other things out the other end. Historically, traditional Bluegrass isn't derived from any of those but that doesn't necessarily matter. Plus I'm not that stuck on the traditional variety either. So I voted for folk, jazz, rock, blues, etc.

But I'm mostly into rock. Specifically prog, and some other classic stuff. 50s through today - there's at least SOMETHING good in every decade! :thmbsp: I also really enjoy most things I didn't pick, but I had to draw the line somewhere as "favorites".

Pop.

For me, this includes pretty much everything except classical, jazz and experimental (thanks to Nick Hornby for the expanded definition of 'pop').

No classical (at least not much) or opera, but other than those I'm pretty much an omnivore... I tend to listen to some genres a lot for a couple of months, then move on- or just listen to anything I fancy. Oh, I don't do much Dutch-language music and I love '80s stuff.

Why no symphonic punk country disco category? (Just kidding...) This kind of thing is fun but it can get nitpicked to death. I like instrumental music but there is at least three to five legitimate substrata for that category. I don't know how to have a poll like this without using 25 different categories.

I'm not sure where it all went wrong but this poll is showing 298.32% total voters.

75% Smooth Jazz (there is a difference)
15% 80's dance/R&B
02% Techno (no trance)
03% 80's Alternative
05% blues/do wop

Anything else is just a crossover of the above:music:

I only listen to metal.Some may think that that is narrow minded but metal probably has more sub-genres than all the other forms of music combined.

LONG LIVE METAL!

Nick

Back
Top Bottom