What genres of music do you listen to - please read post first!

What are your favorite genres of music?

• Classical

Votes: 196 34.5%
  • Country

Votes: 86 15.1%
  • Dance/Alternative

Votes: 67 11.8%
  • Jazz/Swing

Votes: 260 45.8%
  • Opera

Votes: 24 4.2%
  • Pop

Votes: 116 20.4%
  • Rap

Votes: 32 5.6%
  • Rock

Votes: 434 76.4%
  • Techno/Rave

Votes: 53 9.3%
  • Blues

Votes: 241 42.4%
  • Folk

Votes: 119 21.0%
  • Reggae

Votes: 55 9.7%
  • Other - Please Specify

Votes: 104 18.3%

• Total voters
The only types of music that I won't have in my home are rap, metal and soul. I listen to a lot of "country" but you won't hear it on any FM station. Bluegrass certainly is a type of country music that had it's beginnings in old time mountain music. Original Bluegrass vocals had an antique quality that most modern BG singers can't imitate. Ralph Stanley claims his style of "mountain" music came before bluegrass and you have to be "borned" with that type of voice.......... I have everything from Hank Williams to Beethoven on the same shelf and play one as often as the other. Old Blues.......Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker. Jazz from before the 50s and "Bigband" music take me back to my early childhood.

I listen to a lot of "country" but you won't hear it on any FM station. Bluegrass certainly is a type of country music that had it's beginnings in old time mountain music. Original Bluegrass vocals had an antique quality that most modern BG singers can't imitate. Ralph Stanley claims his style of "mountain" music came before bluegrass and you have to be "borned" with that type of voice..........

"Oh plaaaay meeeee some moun-tain muuuu-siiiiic, like Grand-maw and Grand-paw used to plaaaaay..." :thmbsp:

We have the Telluride Bluegrass Festival here in Colorado. But I think most of it is "modern" Bluegrass, really a kind of Bluegrass fusion with more contemporary forms, more like Bella Fleck. Which is cool, I like it, but I think it's good to hear "old timey" music once in a while just to know where at least part of us came from.

Classic Rock only. Every now and then I'll get the urge for some old hip hop but that's rare.

I do have to listen to country music in the card though because that seems to be the only music she seems to listen to in the card (and I hate country music!).

I voted;

dance/alternative

techno/rave

I listen to every musical genre, but on these I'm the most knowledgeable.

The category dance/alternative seems a bit odd to me. Alternative being 'band' type music and dance being anything which resembles disco or house. I'd make it;

alternative/indie (or just; alternative , indie is the same ol thing.)

And swap dance over to techno/rave (rave is not a type of music but a type of party btw) and call that one;

dance/electronic

:)

P.s. wow now I see how old this thead originally is, guess the OP isn't even here anymore. :D

Last edited:
I listen mostly to New Age artists such as Medwyn Goodall, David Arkenstone, Patrick O'Hearn, Tangerine Dream, Cusco, and Ray Lynch to mention just a few. Classical on some nights depending on mood, with a smattering of jazz/swing thrown in also when the mood is right, etc................

Happy Listening to all............Terry:thmbsp::music:

Normally,I listen to classic rock,and 80's retro,and blues,but lately I am enjoying ambient.To me,its like techno without the heavy drum beat.Very relaxing,and easy listening.Just puts me in a very peaceful state of mind.

Minority here.
Hate rock. Or at least I hate what it became after the 50s/60s.
I assume Lady Gaga is rock?
You don't want to know what I think of you if you think she is good..........

I listen primarily to Classical and to a lesser degree to Opera. I also like some of the "classic" rock from the 50's and 60's and folk music.

However, being an individual with the highest aesthetic credentials and unsurpassed taste, I also like to listen to examples of the ultimate musical experience...Bagpipes!
:banana:

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
1. Classical, esp Baroque, esp Italian Baroque

2. Celtic, from all 8 of the Celtic nations: Ireland, Scotland, the Isle of Man, Wales, Cornwall, Brittany, Galicia...and sometimes Nova Scotia

3. Contemporary Scandinavian Folk, esp Varttina and Vasen

If I've done the arithmetics correctly, as of today (September 6, 2011), the sum of all percentage figures yields 316.33 % !

(36.68+14.9+12.32+46.7+4.87+21.2+5.16+76.22+8.88+39.26+22.06+8.31+19.77 = 316.33)

If I've done the arithmetics correctly, as of today (September 6, 2011), the sum of all percentage figures yields 316.33 % !

(36.68+14.9+12.32+46.7+4.87+21.2+5.16+76.22+8.88+39.26+22.06+8.31+19.77 = 316.33)

That's a function of people making multiple choices, or did you expect folks to listen exclusively to one genre only?

My favorite genre of music would be rock because rock music tells you live stories when you listen to the lyrics and you can really relate to them.

Mood often dictates genre choice for me.

For a while it may be classic rock. Other times blues. Today it's international...Latino based, with lots of guitar with a sprinkling of Greek thrown in plus some Irish Celtic to round it off.

Pass the Tequila, Metaxa or Jamison's which ever comes first!:beerchug:

Q

Back
Top Bottom