What is this (tube) thing?

Intermediate tuner to add another IF stage for fine tuning a radio? I'd think the silver box is a variable crystal and the wound tower is set up to match the stage to a specific frequency band. I've got a Heathkit "Q multiplier" here that does that and will work with any 12AX7 based tuner. Really allows you to lock in on a signal that would otherwise drift and hash out on ya. Different varieties of these for different tube types and tuner designs, so the hard part might be figuring out what it'll work with.

s-l300.jpg

Probably help to know what tube is in the box? That'd go a long way to narrow things down.

Last edited:
It can likely be made to work too. These things have almost nothing in them, which means almost nothing to go bad. Antenna, ground, high impedance headphones, a filament supply from appropriate batteries and 45v or so for the plate using a string of 9v will likely get you the AM band. Need to know what tube it is to know what filament voltage it wants.

It can likely be made to work too. These things have almost nothing in them, which means almost nothing to go bad. Antenna, ground, high impedance headphones, a filament supply from appropriate batteries and 45v or so for the plate using a string of 9v will likely get you the AM band. Need to know what tube it is to know what filament voltage it wants.

Isn't it simply amazing how easily an AM radio may be constructed? No wonder the technology took off in the 1920s.

One may even use a metal-oxide diode (in the form of a hunk of homemade lead crystal or a rusty razor blade) for the detector.

The tube will forever last because even a poor quality tube with little gain and non-linear characteristics is still good enough to do the job.

It's for sale in the next town over for some weeks now. They come into my town once a week or so. I just don't know a single thing about tubes, hell, the guy selling it doesn't even know what it is. Although some people have told him ig had to do with AM radio. I guess his dad used to broadcast his own.

Having your own low watt AM station is fun. I use mine as a time machine using mp3's I've collected over the years.

Intermediate tuner to add another IF stage for fine tuning a radio? I'd think the silver box is a variable crystal and the wound tower is set up to match the stage to a specific frequency band. I've got a Heathkit "Q multiplier" here that does that and will work with any 12AX7 based tuner. Really allows you to lock in on a signal that would otherwise drift and hash out on ya. Different varieties of these for different tube types and tuner designs, so the hard part might be figuring out what it'll work with.

s-l300.jpg

Probably help to know what tube is in the box? That'd go a long way to narrow things down.
I had a really nice Lafayette shortwave reciever that had a "Q" multiplier. Once you got used to using it, it was great for singling out a station in a crowded area or a noisy background.

Could be a low power ham transmitter - 10W or so. Looks like it's marked RK-47 or RK-42 or RK-43 (and the tube is none of those). But could be an 801, 10-Y or T-21 (all transmitting tubes with ceramic bases).

Back
Top Bottom