Votes: 252 53.8%
  • MS/PhD

Votes: 103 22.0%
  • Other Advanced Degree

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters

savatage1973

Addicted Member
This is not a politically motivated or demeaning thread--just a simple question. There are many brilliant people that never got past the 8th grade, so don't lie. I have a PhD that I no longer use (for the last 20+ years), but there is a lot of intelligence in the AK forums, so I just want to know...

IT Tech for Servers/Securities and C++, Cisco Cert., Rebuilder of Laptops/PC/Tablets (good ones) and etc. .......NO PHONES PERIOD! Buy a new one! I wish I had a PHD....then I could go back to work as my own boss, LOL!

Not sure where this thread will go, I hope it does not become a thread of academia elitism. I know several PHD's that nice folks, but are dumb as a box of rocks other than in their field of study. While I have no degrees past high school here just short of an associate degree, but through hard work and acquired knowledge I was General Manager of several successful large metro Automobile dealerships for over 20 years. Could that be done now, probably not as there are so many with various degrees looking for work. However it worked quite well for my family. It still amazes me when socially I get asked what college I graduated from and the response from folks when they realize I never got a degree. Some could care less but there is always those who dismiss me from their conversations. I even had one guy look at me and say that's right your that car guy and walk away. :smoke:
Regards,
Jim

Still repeating 7th grade ...

hqdefault.jpg

I graduated high school with solid grades and thought about college / university. Half way through studying for 'A' levels (not sure what the US equivalent is) aged nearly 18, I realised I had made a really bad choice of subjects. I dropped out of that and found a job at a local manufacturing place, operating their mainframe computer systems. I'd had an interest in computers since assembling a Sinclair ZX81 from a kit in 1981, so it was kind a of nice progression for me. Never did any formal education after that, other than a few Microsoft exams, but I'm still in IT nearly 30 years later :)

AS: Automotive Tchnology
AS; Automotive Autobody and Welding
AS: Biology Anatomy and Physiology

I think the last one just might keep me alive a bit longer than normal. Doctors only treat you after you get sick then they can't even suggest anything that is not a pharmaceutical. Sad.....

I'm a semester or two away from finishing up an associates in business paid for in cash. When I transfer to a four year to finish a business degree with an emphasis on Human Resources Management, that's when the loans start ʘ︵ʘ

I Really should have written more detail............I only work on laptops and PC's due to a spinal injury that keeps me from working as a securities tech for Jack Henry....... in which was the first job offer I received, until I found I had to have another surgery and told them about it. They could not hire me and NO ONE else will since.....thems' the berries, huh?
I buy computers needing rebuilt/updated, so forth and resell for a small profit (average 20% on this) so my Assoc. Degree only goes for experience and not a trophy. Before my Tech School I worked as a mechanic for all my life since I was able to turn a wrench. Motorcycles and cars mainly, but an occasional small engine contraption such as a chain saw would darken my doorstep. I was thought of as a "grease monkey" mainly,so I decided to get a degree of some kind just to prove (in my 50's) I still have what it takes to DO something different with my life since my spine was deteriorating at a rate of pizza dough rising!
Don't get me wrong ehoove.........I understand what it's like to do both. I grew up with my dad being a motorcycle mechanic/Close tolerance Metallurgy Conformer (machinist) and learned many ways to be a bread winner without relying on anyone! I paid cash for my schooling, myself and would do it again. What I own, stereo wise or anything material.......even my home, is also bought cash on the spot and I thoroughly enjoy what I have now, as well! That changes as my spendable income does and if not, I'm happy as a clam! I always give the benefit of a doubt when someone posts, but I feel that I didn't write enough details........so,this is my essay for today! Hope this will put me in another class that I actually belong in!

I applied to the master's in journalism program at UC Berkeley because my girlfriend had move to San Francisco and I wanted to move with her. I got the degree and enough confidence to pursue a career in journalism and then communications (but split with the girlfriend later on). Having the diploma is nice, but the entry and resulting experience was a lot more valuable.

High school diploma and then 90% on the job training and 10% school provided by company for being a distribution powerline worker (aka lineman)
That is not me in the pic I was the one taking the picture
View attachment 913179

Great career choice ! My company provide training services to guys and girls working in the Electrical, Telco, Water Reticulation, Gas Distribution and Civil trades here in NZ.

MA in English Literature. I also spent a few years in music school. Neither is the most practical, and I think my parents are still disappointed that I'm not a doctor.

Great career choice ! My company provide training services to guys and girls working in the Electrical, Telco, Water Reticulation, Gas Distribution and Civil trades here in NZ.
Definitely a great job, 5 or 6 years out of high school you can easily make over 100k a year :D

High school diploma and then 90% on the job training and 10% school provided by company for being a distribution powerline worker (aka lineman)

I've always been intrigued by electricity and high lines. What do you work with in (primary?) distribution, like up to 35kV or so?

I went to college on a full scholarship, then dropped out when I realized many (not all) grad students and professors would rather stroke each others' egos with discipline-specific terminology than make the insights gleaned relevant to society by communicating with it in simple intelligent language.

Back
Top Bottom