Where should you place your best Power Cord?

Your best power cord needs to go where you can see it from your listening position and easily point it out to friends. An "out of sight - out of mind" approach makes power cords angry and you won't hear any improvement at all.
I will need to get those speaker cables that apparently are the size of fire hoses. :D

Don't forget the little stands to keep them off the floor and prominently displayed. (At least 3" high so the Roomba can get underneath.)
I definitely do want cable elevators. But I'll make my own. I doubt any rarified wood is going to do anything different. ;) If anything, they're good for organizing cables. I can imagine the size of elevators needed to hold up those "fire hose" cables though! Probably the size of a small dog!! :D

Oh, boy. I've got another Cullen Crossover Series ll power cable coming soon. I'll be putting it on my power conditioner which provides the power for my sources and tv.

I'll then have my best power cords on my amp and power conditioner. Really looking forward to it since the first Crossover ll power cable has been outstanding on my amp.

Cheers,

Scott

Oh, boy. I've got another Cullen Crossover Series ll power cable coming soon. I'll be putting it on my power conditioner which provides the power for my sources and tv.

I'll then have my best power cords on my amp and power conditioner. Really looking forward to it since the first Crossover ll power cable has been outstanding on my amp.

Cheers,

Scott
Awesome!

When I have more cash, and the wife isn't paying attention, I will upgrade some of the cheaper ones I got to Cullen.

By the way, when I got the Cullen and freed up a Pangea cable, it went on my OPPO. I had only been watching movies and felt there was a little better sound, but I just was using my secondary system which the OPPO does 2X duty in and there was big improvement on sound all around. So Entry Level cables work in my house.

When I have more cash, and the wife isn't paying attention ...
I haven't been married in 15 years. :D It's a long-term live-in thing now that is pretty much like being married, but without the legalities involved, so we keep everything separate. (Well, that and our student loan payments would both take a huge jump--hers is on track to be dismissed if she stays in non-profit legal aid for ten years, in fact.)

But luck is with me, since sometimes months will go by before something new is noticed. Like when I swapped out my Dahlquists for a pair of Vandersteens--several months later, "Are these new speakers?" How could I say "yes" truthfully? Think about it...I already had them for months, and I got them used, not new. :D (I've had the electrostatics in the basement for over three years now--I don't think she knows what those are yet.)

Luckily she doesn't care--our money is kept separate, ,the bills are all paid, I pay cash for everything (no debt beyond small car payments and student loans), and life's too short not to enjoy what we like, so anything I'm asked is more out of curiosity than the blame/guilt/shame treatment (like my I used to get with my ex).

And actually, the power cables are kind of hidden behind the rack, so she doesn't notice those anyway... ;)

Awesome!

When I have more cash, and the wife isn't paying attention, I will upgrade some of the cheaper ones I got to Cullen.

By the way, when I got the Cullen and freed up a Pangea cable, it went on my OPPO. I had only been watching movies and felt there was a little better sound, but I just was using my secondary system which the OPPO does 2X duty in and there was big improvement on sound all around. So Entry Level cables work in my house.

Very cool. The Pangea power cables by all accounts are great. I don't look at them as entry level. They are a great value in high-end cables.

The more affordable Cullen Avius (12g shielded) power cable will stay on my streamer and the other Avius that lead me down a path to all Cullen will be used on the Arcam A19 integrated in the office/bedroom. It's currently on the power conditioner in the main system and the stereo sounds great.

Cheers,

Scott

I need two more PS Audio AC-5s and I'll be done with mine for now. That is, unless I decide to get some for the electrostatics when I get the refurbishment completed, and I might go with a pair of the Cullens as I could probably use two meter cords for those. They don't have to be heavy gauge cables though--they are used only to energize the panels. But I may go heavier anyway, as I may end up with much newer stats in the next year or two that have a powered bass section. The power still needs to be clean, though, so I might find another power conditioner for these speakers once I get to that point.

I have an upgraded power cord on my amp,which chosen by the man who restored it a few years ago, it is currently plugged into my Belkin PF-60 powercenter/conditioner. Is any benefit from this cord lost in this arrangement? I thought it would be best to jack it into the Belkin for protection, as once or twice a year I have to restart the power center as surges have shut it down. Thanks for any comments in advance.

I have an upgraded power cord on my amp,which chosen by the man who restored it a few years ago, it is currently plugged into my Belkin PF-60 powercenter/conditioner. Is any benefit from this cord lost in this arrangement? I thought it would be best to jack it into the Belkin for protection, as once or twice a year I have to restart the power center as surges have shut it down. Thanks for any comments in advance.

Your Belkin unit looks to be similar to my APC. As long as the cord from the Belkin to the wall or outlet is robust, of heavy gauge, and well shielded, you should be fine. You can try swapping the cord from the Belkin and Amp to see if you hear any changes.

I eventually updated the PC from my APC to the wall with what I consider my best cable, the Cullen.

It was fun this morning finding a package on the porch from Cullen Cable which contained another Crossover Serires ll power cord; I put it on the power conditioner. With about ten hours on it I'm very pleased with the results. Out of the box I'm getting a nice jump in dynamics, detail and soundstage.
smiley_thumb.gif

Looking forward to accumulating hours on it and hearing how it will improve my system. I'll post more impressions in a few days.

Cheers,

Scott

Is there any rule of thumb as to what component will benefit most from After Market Power Cables?

If you have cords of varying value/performance, what component should you place your best cable on?

I have been reading that Source (CD Player) is where you see the most benefit, but would like more feedback from AS members.

Also, is larger gauge as important for Amps, or is 14 good enough?

I also use an APC H15 for my main 2 CH system which actually came with the most robust 12G cord of any component I have purchased.

Right now I have a Pangea AC14 SE MKII on each of my Pre Amp and CDP and a PS Audio AC3 on my Amp, all running thru my APC. I tried the Amp directly to dedicated outlet but preferred thru the APC as my normal incoming house voltage is low and the APC ups it closer to the norm.

On another forum, it was suggested that the best cable go to the APC. I am considering getting a few more but trying to decide if I need larger gauge going to the APC or if another PS Audio AC3 (12g) is good enough or if I should go to the Pangea AC9 (7g) cord to power the APC.

I am also wondering if the Pangea AC14 SE MKII is good enough for my Pre Amp or if I should step that up to another PS Audio AC3.

Thoughts, suggestions, experiences?

And just for the record, after replacing the 3 stock 16 and 18g cords with the above, I have what sounds like an entirely new system, for the better. I am actually stunned by the benefits I got as they are far from subtle.

:lurk:

Well they don't seem to have a half full bucket or you could embellish it with "I'm getting full".

Yes, a new post goes to the end even if you post it on the first page of a long thread.

Well they don't seem to have a half full bucket or you could embellish it with "I'm getting full".

Yes, a new post goes to the end even if you post it on the first page of a long thread.

I was reluctant to truly post my technical thoughts on it, as it would not probably be well received, so I did the least destructive post/reply, hence :lurk:..

And yes I have noticed some time back, how replies are handled..
I didn`t think it would trigger a response..

Back
Top Bottom