Words that were once common, now gone extinct

CoogarXR

I have been working on my kitchen, and every time I am in a home improvement store and say the word "linoleum" nobody knows what I am talking about. Of course, it's called "sheet vinyl" now. But I will continue to say linoleum for the rest of my life. Because, I'm at that age where I am done updating my vocabulary on trivial things.

So I thought I'd make a thread about extinct words. It can even be local things. Like the gas station near my old house will forever be "SuperAmerica" to me, because that's what it was when I went there. It's changed names a million times since, but my wife and I will call it "SuperAmerica" till we croak.

What about you? What are your belligerently permanent words?

Stuff like this is exactly what I try to resist as I become older. I like language too much to not adopt new words and bring back older ones. Change is good. Its how we advance.

One word I miss is rapscallion. It's one of those that sounds like what it means.

Last edited:
One word I miss is repscallion. It's one of those that sounds like what it means.
Then you probably won't like this: it's actually "rapscallion".

I have been working on my kitchen, and every time I am in a home improvement store and say the word "linoleum" nobody knows what I am talking about. Of course, it's called "sheet vinyl" now.
I believe "linoleum" is a material unique unto itself and largely obsolete, although it may still be available somewhere. Sheet vinyl is another thing altogether.

Back
Top Bottom