Your Favorite Jazz Artists... You may vote multiple times

Favorite Jazz performer/performers- vote for one or many

• Total voters
I'm a jazz neophyte, but over the last 2 years, it has become the ONLY genre I really like. So my favorites might be a tad mainstream...

Just discovered Bill Charlap Trio from Spotify. Fantastic. That's my favorite at the moment.
Also, really like Cal Tjader, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Paul Desmond, Getz, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Evans, Brian Bromberg, Armstrong & Fitzgerald

Vince Guaraldi and Luther Vandross. Jazz isn't really my favorite, but these two artists both taken too early seemed to speak to me.

I must be blind, as I didn't see Sarah Vaughan anywhere in this thread!

Sarah Vaughan
Ella Fitzgerald
Duke Ellington
Count Basie

Didn't read through the entire post but Stan Getz, Herbie Hancock, Jack DeJohnette, Chick Corea, Miles Davis, Gil Evans, Jaco Pastorius are some artist that I really like.

Joe Sample
Oscar Peterson
Getz/Gilberto
David Sanborn
Grover Washington Jr.
George Benson
Fattburger
Ronnie Laws
Pat Metheny
Weather Report
Herb Alpert
The Short list of favorites

I prefer jazz fusion and contemporary jazz from the mid-to-late 70s going forward in addition to some smooth jazz from the 90s onward. Thus, I like:

Billy Cobham
George Duke
Weather Report
Jaco Pastorius
David Sanborn
Grover Washington, Jr.
Najee
Boney James
Dave Koz
Alex Bugnon
Acoustic Alchemy
Angela Bofill (ala "Angie")
Patti Austin
Bob James
Casiopea
Chuck Mangione
George Benson
Herbie Hancock

I prefer jazz fusion and contemporary jazz from the mid-to-late 70s going forward in addition to some smooth jazz from the 90s onward. Thus, I like:

Billy Cobham
George Duke
Weather Report
Jaco Pastorius
David Sanborn
Grover Washington, Jr.
Najee
Boney James
Dave Koz
Alex Bugnon
Acoustic Alchemy
Angela Bofill (ala "Angie")
Patti Austin
Bob James
Casiopea
Chuck Mangione
George Benson
Herbie Hancock

Check out the prog-rock band, "Caravan". At or near the top of the genre, but they they could have just as easily been deemed "jazz-fusion". They can flat out Play!

Last edited:
I'm a jazz neophyte, but over the last 2 years, it has become the ONLY genre I really like. So my favorites might be a tad mainstream...

Just discovered Bill Charlap Trio from Spotify. Fantastic. That's my favorite at the moment.
Also, really like Cal Tjader, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Paul Desmond, Getz, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Evans, Brian Bromberg, Armstrong & Fitzgerald

Damn good line-up you've got there! Most jazz lit. that I have read has Armstrong, Ellington, Morton, Ella, and Sinatra as the "Top Five" most important jazz performers and being influential. I'll how out of that discussion, after the top two

Check out the program-rock band, "Caravan". At or near the top of the genre, but they they could have just as easily been deemed "jazz-fusion". They can flat out Play!
Thanks for the heads-up, Cosmicmes. I'm going to to look into Caravan upon finishing my morning excercise routine. If I find something of interest, I'll be sure to post it.

Didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if this oversight has already been addressed, but doesn't it seem sort of ridiculous that Charlie Parker isn't even on the list?

Check out the program-rock band, "Caravan". At or near the top of the genre, but they they could have just as easily been deemed "jazz-fusion". They can flat out Play!
Cosmicme, I just posted a brief (subjective) review of the band's most prominent release In the Land of Grey and Pink in the "Today's Progressive Rock Tunes." The album contains good, clean rock tunes with an overwhelmingly identifiable "British soud" and proves to be as enjoyable as most of the prog rock releases of the time as the band members had to actually sing and play real instruments versus ProLogic/Reason/Fruityloops/CuBase plug-ins for digital audio workstations. I love the drumming and find myself enjoying my least favorite instrument in recorded music: the organ. Once again, an excellent suggestion.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/todays-progressive-rock-tunes.127349/page-450

Last edited:
Cosmicme, I just posted a brief (subjective) review of the band's most prominent release In the Land of Grey and Pink in the "Today's Progressive Rock Tunes." The album contains good, clean rock tunes with an overwhelmingly identifiable "British soud" and proves to be as enjoyable as most of the prog rock releases of the time as the band members had to actually sing and play real instruments versus ProLogic/Reason/Fruityloops/CuBase plug-ins for digital audio workstations. I love the drumming and find myself enjoying my least favorite instrument in recorded music: the organ. Once again, an excellent suggestion.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/todays-progressive-rock-tunes.127349/page-450

Man I'm really happy that you liked the album, and a really underappreciated band is exposed to others. Steve Wilson recently did a great remix, the package includes a version in 5.1 surround version. Critics seem to like "For Girls Who Go Plump in the Night", while fwiw, I really like the jazzy "Waterloo Lily". I've found that all their albums get better the more that they're played. PS, I've yet to buy a dud :beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom