Your Favorite Jazz Artists... You may vote multiple times

Favorite Jazz performer/performers- vote for one or many

• Total voters
So far from what I've heard, I've narrowed by my tastes down to a few.
Just for fun, off the top of my head

Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers
Miles Davis
Thelonius Monk
Herbie Hancock
Cal Tjader
Clifford Brown
Stan Getz/Gilberto
Antonio Carlos Jabim
Paul Desmond
John Coltrane
Cannonball Adderley
Oscar Peterson
Chet Baker
Amad Jamal
Milt Jackson
Dexter Gordon
Sonny Rollins
Joe Henderson
and maybe a couple more.....:beerchug:

Maynard Ferguson
Don Ellis
Woody Herman
Gordon Goodwin
Bill Chase (Chase)
Lew Soloff
Randy Brecker
Wayne "Waynard" Bergeron
Arturo Sandoval
Bill Evans
Chick Corea/Return To Forever
Clark Terry
Peter Herbolzheimer
George Gruntz
Carla Bley

To keep myself from “Wuddabout” disease, I will refrain from some of the “fusion” or “smooth” artists (though the additional ones have participated in both.)

Herbie Hancock
Chick Corea
Wes Montgomery
Ron Carter

But wuddabout... (dang it) :music:

List seems to be short on singers; Here you go:

Dianne Reeves, Cassandra Wilson, Abbey Lincoln, Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday, Betty Carter, Carmen McRae.

Also: Eric Dolphy, Jimmy Smith, Freddie Hubbard, Max Roach, Joe Henderson.
Yes! Jimmy smith best organist ever. Hoochie Coochie Man, Organ Grinders Swing and more.

I didn’t have time to read everyone’s posts, but I chose other because for me being a trumpet player I favor Clifford Brown! The first time I heard Step Lightly (Junior’s Arrival) it was love at first listen! That man could solo for days, and his tone was absolutely beautiful! To this day I’ve never heard a trumpet player with a tone as fat as his. My pick is not to take anything away from the choices offered. I thought about choosing Art Blakey for a split second because of all the musicians that went through his band. I truly feel he was so important to jazz. The man had a great ear for talent, not to mention a heck of a drummer in his own right.

Everyone on the list is worth mentioning, but add Oscar Peterson, Milt Jackson, Ray Brown, Eddie Daniels, Dave Brubeck, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Kenny Burrell, Herb Ellis, Bill Evans.....

George Coleman, Eddie Gomez, Tony Williams, Art Taylor, Bill Evans, Art Pepper, Nicholas Payton.

Last edited:
List seems to be short on singers; Here you go:

Dianne Reeves, Cassandra Wilson, Abbey Lincoln, Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday, Betty Carter, Carmen McRae.

Also: Eric Dolphy, Jimmy Smith, Freddie Hubbard, Max Roach, Joe Henderson.

Good to hear Abbey Lincoln's name up here. We miss her.

Back
Top Bottom