Your Last Concert (or two)

February 21, 2019, McMenamins White Eagle Saloon, Portland OR

Will West
Todd Albright

I got sent home early. 9 souls came through the front door. Come on out and support live music!

Went to see King Buffalo last night in Burlington, VT. It was definitely one of the best shows I've been to. The band sounded great, they were definitely heavier live than on the album. Smaller crowd, maybe 80 people, so you could get right up front. The sound was perfect, loud but not overly so and well mixed.

The vibe was awesome, they play really trippy psych (comparable to Pink Floyd at times). The guitar player had great tone and mastery of delay effects. The bass player also used a lot of effects to keep the psychedelia going and the drummer was no slouch either. The music sounded really layered and gets your head bobbing. Just really cool. Highly recommend these guys.

View attachment 1416182

The opening band was pretty cool too. Lake Superior was their name. They played a kind of garage/psych/blues. I bought one of their cassettes just for fun.

View attachment 1416188
View attachment 1416189

I saw them (King Buffalo) Sep 6th last year in Saskatoon. What a great sound from just 3 guys! They impressed me with how tight they were musically, and would definitely recommend seeing them live.

Also saw Earthless in Saskatoon Oct 5th for a jam filled show

Last one before this was Alice Cooper in Regina in 2016

Last edited:
I saw them (King Buffalo) Sep 6th last year in Saskatoon. What a great sound from just 3 guys! They impressed me with how tight they were musically, and would definitely recommend seeing them live.

Also saw Earthless in Saskatoon Oct 5th for a jam filled show

Last one before this was Alice Cooper in Regina in 2016

Right on. They were tight, very well rehearsed. I'll see them again for sure, probably next tour. Right now I'm looking at seeing Sleep in Albany. Can't wait for that one.

Last night, wife and I went and saw Sarah Brightman in Orlando Florida. First time I have been in the new Disney Theater in the Dr. Phillips Center.

She was performing songs from her new album, Hymn. She has scaled down from her past concerts, but she still as a great show.

Sarah Brightman ‎– Hymn

Hey Now,

Sweetheart of the Rodeo 50th Anniversary show . . . . .

byrds-sweetheart-glory-1480x779.jpg

--
Finest kind,
Chris

February 22, 2019, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

Garcia Birthday Band (sold out)

Again! Only two more shows at this venue by them.

Right on. They were tight, very well rehearsed. I'll see them again for sure, probably next tour. Right now I'm looking at seeing Sleep in Albany. Can't wait for that one.
I thought about going to Pittsburgh to see them last year, but I couldn’t make it work. They’re coming to Buffalo on this tour, right when I’m supposed to be out of town for a conference.

Two shows on Thursday:

2/21 Root Shock & Kaleidoscope Sky, The 9th Ward at Babeville, Buffalo, NY
2/21 Grateful Shred (2nd set), Buffalo Iron Works, Buffalo, NY

2/23 King Buffalo & Nine Layers Deep, Mohawk Place, Buffalo, NY

I missed the first two bands because we were getting dinner in between the hockey game and the show. Much thanks to @likebike23 for the heads up on these guys. Great show. I’m listening to the newest record now. I like how they manage to make it feel like there’s a keyboard player up there with them, but it’s the guitarist and bassist playing double duty.

@Johnny B: cool you could make it to see them. I agree that they sound like more than a 3 piece live. How was the sound overall? In Burlington, they had the mix just right. The singer could be heard and no instrument over powered any other.

@Johnny B: cool you could make it to see them. I agree that they sound like more than a 3 piece live. How was the sound overall? In Burlington, they had the mix just right. The singer could be heard and no instrument over powered any other.
It sounded really good, in a club that doesn’t have the best sound always. The band before had a really muddy mix, but the sound was really good for the King Buffalo set. I think it was still the house guy, so maybe they just gave him something more to work with.

Thinking about it now, their arrangements really have everything layered well. The bass pedals the guitar player plays are well beneath the sonic range the bassist is working in. The keyboards either sit above the guitar or between the guitarist and bassist. That makes it easier for a sound guy to get a good mix.

March 1, 2019, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

Portland State University Orchestra
Hollywood Film Scores

March 3 & 4, 2019, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Sunday
Joy Now Brigade
March Fourth (Matinee show for kids, there was a second all ages show that night.)

Monday
DJ Ruckus
March Fourth - 16th Anniversary show for 21+

All 3 shows were part of March Fourth 16th Anniversary. They are a Portland based non-profit.

http://www.marchfourthband.com/

Last edited:
Saw Robin Lane and the Chartbusters last Saturday, Back Room at The Burren, in Somerville.

RIP Asa Brebner. you are already missed.

Last two were

Depeche Mode: One of the most disappointing concerts I've been to. They played almost exclusively their new stuff and very few of the popular 80's songs that everyone was hoping to hear. To their credit, they did play their asses off.

The Cure: Smith's voice is as good as ever...pretty much unchanged somehow.

Caught Girl Trouble's 35th Anniversary Show over the weekend, was great. Waxahatchee a couple weeks earlier.
Melvins, Built to Spill, and Mudhoney tickets already purchased for the next couple months.

Back
Top Bottom