merrylander
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hi,

Another member who responded to my post said that you might have one of the square like knobs with the set screw for a Yamaha R-700(input source select knob). TIA,
    meaudio1
    You were right. The diode behind the fuse holder is shorted, passing current both ways. The leads look like they got a littler warm too. I checked another diode just like it and it only passed current one way. These are shiny and look like copper with two small green rings around them on one end. The good one settles at .57 on the display with my Fluke meter set on diode test.

Are these anything special, or would a regular black diode with gray stripe work in it's place?

Thanks for the help,

James
    Just finished replacing all lamps in my cr-2040. I accidentally shorted the white and red wires that go to the upper 4 lamps which blew the 3A fuse. Replaced fuse and it blows as soon as powered up. Powered it up for just a second with my meter reading current across fuse holder and it shows 5.5 amps. Any ideas??
    James 214-907-5325
    Hey Rob, I hope all is well..
    Just reconnected my cr2020 to a real load (not the smaller bench test speakers).
    Cranked it up all day and was just using the fm and ipod for input(pretty crappy)
    and the sound is incredible..shes holding her own to the parallel set of 501s connected to her...getting some Altec 14s for her to drive ...thank you so much for your kind help....you saved me alot of time..
    Jim
    OK - identified the three contact points on the board for the phono input "module". The connections are not wires, but extensions of the module RCA contacts (as are all of the RCA jacks on this unit).
    On magnified inspection, solder joints appear to be solid. I did a little scraping between connection points to remove what appeared to be flux between them. I'm wondering if my next step would be to de-solder the three (L, R & Com. Grnd.) and try to remove the module for a visual inspection and continuity check. My guess is that the contacts inside the RCA jack module have worn or spread, and I doubt that I can access them within the module to close them up. Your thoughts on any of this, and do you know if replacements are available for these?
    Looking at the bottom plate (and assuming that's how I have to get to the phono input board), it looks like the power transformer is screwed to the bottom. Is there anything else I should know before I start unscrewing that bottom plate?
    Oops - on second look, it's not screwed directly to the plate - it's to an internal frame. The screws are just visible through slots in the bottom. Still, is there anything I should be aware of, taking the bottom off?
    Now that the cover's off, yes the STK heat sink feels quite warm, though the module itself wasn't particularly. I'll see what RS has & get some JB.
    RE the phono inputs: I was afraid of that. Can't tell how hard it's going to be to get to, but it'll have to be done. Can't use my turntable otherwise.
    Thanks!
    Hey, Merrylander! Enjoyed meeting you at the fall MD-DC etc. get together.
    You gave me advice previously about my Yammie R-1000: "There is a single STK Voltage Amplifier located in the middle of the PC board, it tends to run hot. On evert R2000 that has been through here I bolt some extra heat sinks to the simple aluminium heatsink holding the STK module." Do you have a pic of one that's been done?
    Also, I'm having a contact problem causing hum at the phono inputs. I can wiggle them and make it go away, but can't get rid of it permanently. Those look like a module that connects to the board - is there any easy way to get at them to see what's wrong? (I've tried several cables)
    Hello Merrylander. Since you're retired now, can you recommend someone who could repair my faithful Yamaha A-960II integrated amp? Thank you very much! Dave in No. VA.
    G'Day Merrylander. I hope you can help. I have been reading threads that are a few years old now. The question i have, is there a solution to replaceing Yami CR640 pre-driver IC chips? If there is, what is? Please help me save my CR640 i have dad since new.
    Thanks.
    Hooroo, Mickoh
    Thanks Merrylander. I've always liked the looks of that one. I wanted to show it to a wood worker friend so he can do the same to my cab. Cheers, Dennis.
    Hi Merrylander. I am looking for a picture of a Yamaha 1020 recivever that was revereened. I keep thinking that it was you that did the work or have it now. Is that right??? I think it was done in rosewood. Cheers, Dennis.
    Rob,

Hi…….long time no talk. Hope you and your family are well.

BTW, I was wondering if you were still fixing/restoring vintage receivers. I have had my CR-1000 stop working (that I had you restore/fix and put in a new cabinet for me) and I ended up picking up another CR-1000 a few years ago but it does not work quite right either. Interested in working on them or using one to fix up the other for me? If so, I can drop them off some weekend. I am still living up here in Western PA. Feel free to e-mail or call.

Regards,

Kim I.R. Knippel (knippeki@westinghouse.com)
    724-454-2574
    Hello, Merrylander! Hope all is well with you and yours.
    Would you be interested in taking a look at my Yamaha R-2000? Haven't had it out since last December, then moved here to Indiana after retiring, but believe the problem is in the power amp section. I know it may not be exactly "vintage" but it is one of the most incredibly fine sounding receivers I have heard, and I keep thinking that when I get older (LOL) I should downsize to a receiver ......... *ouch*

--bully aka KP Hetlinger
    Hello Merrylander
    You commented a whie back on a Yamaha R-1000 tuner issue and were going to post some info on tuner alignment etc.. I just bought one and am having some issues. Can you send me the info?
    Fred
    fredcohiba@hotmail.com
    Hi Merrylander. I'm looking for some belts for my Yamaha PX-3, the 3 little drive belts are showing some cracking. Any idea where I can get those? Thanks.
    Thanks! Unfortunately I was unable to snatch that one up quickly enough. I appreciate the info greatly though.
    Hello, I was looking at maybe getting a Yamaha CR2020 for $125. It is at the top of my price range, and was told to talk to you about the availability of repair parts should I need them. Would they be hard to come by? Would this receiver be worth it over a $75 Philips AH-7861? Thanks for any info!
    Hi, do you have the tuner display board that is glued to the steel faceplate? I have a mxr150 that has a destroyed tuning display board assembly,it looks the same as a mxr 130 display. Thank you
    Thanks so much for your response. I think I am going to buy it and implement your suggestion. Just hope I am not overpaying as there are not a lot of transactions out there to compare to, but this one is so perfect (even looks new inside). Thanks again.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom