9090db Faceplate Aluminum Finish

bgoodz

Recently got a better faceplate for a 9090db and the one I'm taking off has some scratches and a couple small gouges. The gouges are in the area of the black lettering so that will be left alone. I'm going to sand out the scratches as they are not near the black lettering and was wondering if anyone has done this successfully. I have sanded out scratches on aluminum and SS before with fine grit wet/dry paper and polished to completion with success but, the 9090 faceplate has what appears to be either a satin brushed finish or sanded finish. Has anyone replicated this finish and if so what did you use.....a fine grit flap disc or maybe a satin finish wheel (fine or med texture).

I have put satin finishes on other metals before but the striations do appear to be the same as on the 9090 faceplate. I would like to match the existing finish as close as possible.

Thanks for any input or ideas.

If the faceplates were raw aluminum there would be no problem sanding out scratches. But they are not raw, they have been anodized. There is no way to sand out a scratch without sanding through the anodized layer. The raw aluminum exposed by sanding of the anodized layer, will look much different. The results are pretty ugly. Trying to sand out scratches is likely to make it look worse.

- Pete

If the faceplates were raw aluminum there would be no problem sanding out scratches. But they are not raw, they have been anodized. There is no way to sand out a scratch without sanding through the anodized layer. The raw aluminum exposed by sanding of the anodized layer, will look much different. The results are pretty ugly. Trying to sand out scratches is likely to make it look worse.

- Pete

Thanks for the response Pete. I didn't get it early enough and learned the hard way and figured out quickly that it was anodized and not oxidized. All was not lost as I only block sanded the lower 1/4" section across the width of the bottom. I masked it off and sprayed with Power Coat Black. It matches the top section of the faceplate and doesn't get into any lettering or numbers. Doesn't look all original anymore but not bad at the same time. It was an "extra" and the other gouges were hidden somewhat by the knobs.

If anyone tries this make sure you cut along the edge of the masking tape with a razor blade before pulling the tape off. Or better yet listen to what pete said...leave it alone. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom