Hafler Mosfet testing proceedure

powerdoc

OK, so I've gotten my new Musical Concepts boards but before I install I'm going to check my MOSFETS. One I can safely say has the dreaded drain/source short so it's surely toasted. I've been using a number of different test methods and get varying results. I have reversed the polarities when testing the P devices since it seems most of the instructions are for N devices. Has anyone, using a DMM with a diode function, found a reliable test method for devices with built in diodes, like the Hitachi devices seem to have? I've poured over hundreds of posts and seem to get similar but not precise info on this subject. References welcome.

most reliable test would be build a circuit to power them up and test them whilst they are doing some work . don't forget they will need to be on a heat-sink .
all you can test with dmm is that they will switch on and are not shorted or open .this usually is good enough as far as i am aware . as when they blow they blow . well all the ones i have seen have been blown to bits .

What I'm looking for is the correct DMM responses to turn off check for shorts, turn on, check for conduction proper proceedure and proper responses of the DMM. With the diode in the MOSFET, is a short beep like conduction??

Yes, I read that article. What my quandry is pertains to the diode that is built into the mosfet and how it affects the readings. I'm getting a positive diode "beep" with the dmm in some tests that are supposed to be either conductive or a measured open.

If you want, put them in an antistatic bag and mail them to me. I will then test and make sure they are matched using a Hafler MOSFET Checker/Matcher.

Back
Top Bottom