Shure m95: what do I have

jancumps

iRock
I bought a thriftstore TT, loaded wit a Shure M95 G-LM.

attachment.php

According to Shure documentation, G means "spherical", LM means "for Dual headshells", but then the stylus should be gray, mine is yellow - much yellower than the photo shows.

m95.jpg

VinylEngine database says it is "hyperelliptical 0.2 x 0.15mil", but that does not match with Dual's doc shown above.

According to another VinylEngine document, the yellow stylus means: N95ED, Elliptical (page 16)

What do I have?

(at least I'm certain about the TT: that is a Dual 502).

Attachments

• DSCF0290.jpg
    DSCF0290.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
It looks like you have a Shure M95 G-LM that someone has upgraded with an elliptical stylus. Like many cartridge companies, Shure's bodies were the same within a given line, the stylus was the difference.

Dirty cantilever in my photo, hé.
I've tested it tracking at 1.25 and it does its job very well.
Looked at the tip with my magic device, and that is very clean and in good shape. But the cantilever looks like Mars after a meteor attack, and then infected with flue virus.

It was a Shure OEM cartridge manufactured for Dual, but equivalent to the Shure M95G – G always indicates a conical stylus in Shure type numbering. They made a lot of cartridges for turntable manufacturers everywhere, but Dual were a major customer. The Shure discontinued stylus reference says it was a conical 0.6 mil stylus. The N95ED stylus from the M95ED will raise it to the same level as the M95ED, which at one time (mid to late-70’s) was the second best cartridge in the Shure line, behind the V15 Type III.

The M91ED was second best when the V15 Type III was first released, but they designed the M95ED with some of the same features as the V15/III, so when it was released slightly after the V15/III it became second best. So it’s a very good cartridge with that stylus. There was also a hyperelliptical stylus (N95HE - released about 1980) which got released after the 1978 V15 Type IV to upgrade the M95 even higher.

If you can justify the cost,a JICO SAS for the M95 is excellent. I have been using an M95ED cart with a JICO SAS 95HE stylus and love it.There's also a 95ED JICO SAS from JICO direct. I purchased mine from LPGEAR.

Back
Top Bottom