Speakers for McIntosh Mono Tube amps (the 60's)

jvigil

Speakers for McIntosh Mono Tube amps (the 60's)

Hello to the forum...

I recently acquired a one owner pair of McIntosh mono amps. I have never had any tube equipment before, and am wondering if there is anything that I should look for in particular when buying speakers to hook them up to.

I am partial to B & W's, and my wallet would put me into the 600 series with either a used set of 603's or maybe new line of 680-somethings.

I don't want to kick off a religous debate, but I would like some insights if any of you are willing to share.

thanks,

Jason

Welcome. If you are new to the world of tubes, get ready to sell all your other stuff. Any good speakers will work well, but to many variables to give a specific recommendation. Try what you have now, then go audition some others. Will all depend on room, the amp in question etc. John

You might want to do some searching for Tekton Design speakers. Google will find it. They offer a 30 day home audition and seem to be well made and loved by those who have given them a chance.

Get some Khorns if you have the space. Not too expensive, were designed "back in the day" when tube amps were commonplace AND, will kick some serious hiney if you want them to.

Of course, you're going to hear differing opinions for each person who responds, so you really need to hear the speakers FIRST (any of them) and then make your mind. Also, I'd suggest that buying the amp first, speakers second is backwards.

I'd suggest you should find speakers you like/love, and then figure out what the best matched amps might be for them.

(sort of like buying a car first, then fitting the fancy mag wheels, rather than buying some mag wheels that look cool, then figuring out which car they might work on)

The above 2 recommendations make sense. IMO the vintage Mc amps sound best when used with efficient vintage units... here in Binghamton back in the day Frank McIntosh teamed up with Rudy Bozak at all the HiFi shows to show off his wares. I personally like the sound of Mc's with vintage Altecs, my pair of Mc 60s running Tung Sol 6550s is paired up with 1963 Altec Valencias, the consumer version of the A5/A7 Voice of The Theater - 2 way 15" woofer with sectoral horn/compresion driver... Tannoy, JBL, Bozak, Jensen also are a good chioce imo.
R Anderson VTV writer, Binghamton NY, home of McIntosh Labs

Get some Khorns if you have the space. Not too expensive, were designed "back in the day" when tube amps were commonplace AND, will kick some serious hiney if you want them to.

Of course, you're going to hear differing opinions for each person who responds, so you really need to hear the speakers FIRST (any of them) and then make your mind. Also, I'd suggest that buying the amp first, speakers second is backwards.

I'd suggest you should find speakers you like/love, and then figure out what the best matched amps might be for them.

(sort of like buying a car first, then fitting the fancy mag wheels, rather than buying some mag wheels that look cool, then figuring out which car they might work on)
Yes sir, I see you point about speakers first and then amps- but these were a gift so what was I going to do?

I used to look at these on eBay and drool, I saw them in my a relatives house and knew what they were and then couldn't stop talking about them. They went home with me a couple months later. Now I have the pleasure of doing things ass backwards and buying speakers for the amps. Luxury problem, imo. I'll see if I post some pics- I got a tube pre and some old solid state stuff too.

Back
Top Bottom