Tablets: Who has them and why?

I have a Galaxy Note 2, a "phablet" with a 5.5" screen, and I like it because it's always with me, and it always has an internet connection (whether that's 3g/4g or WiFi).

It's already very similar to a tablet, but a "real" tablet has none of the features which make me appreciate my Note 2, namely a tablet is too big to take with me everywhere I go and it's lack of a persistent internet connection limits it's usefulness. If I'm limited to only using it at home on WiFi - well I'd rather use my laptop or even my desktop if I'm at home, why do I need a tablet for that?

But some of us have both WIFI and Cellular Data built in...

(A note to everyone) But no one is forcing this on you, some like them some don't.

Take care,

Rob

With a little digging, I found out my carrier offered unlimited tethering for a reasonable fee. When I'm out and about for a few days, I'll take the Nexus with me and use my phone for a hotspot. Real handy for finding out what's in the area and what's going on. Only thing I don't like, though, is that local papers are now requiring subscriptions for digital editions, so I have to hunt a bit harder for local news. I no longer take my walkman on trips, so... radio apps to the rescue.

I'm testing the limits of my phones tethering abilities. Word on the Android forums is that the carrier has little control over a fully unlocked device, like my Nexus 4.

Sent from my listening chair via my Google Nexus 7

And if you thinks it's too small to watch a movie on, please sit in your favorite chair in your TV room and put your finders about 12-15 inches in front of your eyes and see if you can frame your TV screen with your fingers, top to bottom. :scratch2:

Take care,

Rob

Not if one sits 4.5' from a 52" screen.

I've never been much of a videophile however I can understand how a tablet screen for movies might not do it for some people.

Sent from the driver's seat or the desk at work via my Google Nexus 4

I've never been much of a videophile however I can understand how a tablet screen for movies might not do it for some people.

For me it's about being able to lower expectations. I've really enjoyed having my tablet for movies while travelling. And I use a projection system with a 90"+ screen at home.
I can see how some would feel differently about it, though.

But some of us have both WIFI and Cellular Data built in...

For me the appeal of my Note 2 is that it's always with me, because it's a phone. I can't see myself carrying a clunky tablet around just for computing reasons, and even if I did, i'd still need to carry a phone also. I don't carry a purse; my Note 2 fits in my pocket.

The Note 2 is a hard phone to sell. Its like a specialty piece. People are either willing to pay whatever they need to to get one or else they aren't even remotely interested. I suspect that'll continue with the roll out of the Note 3 less than a month away.

I recently bought an iPad. I use if to listen to stuff where my PC will not reach. I will bring it when I travel to look up restaurants and stuff. Not essential at all, just for fun.

A part of me also procured it so that I do not fall behind the techno curve and become a candidate for Soylent Green duty.

Good subject tablets are definitely increasing market share I'm even thinking about one !
I'm not not much on a desktop with a touch screen but that is *my * preference
might be fine for others .

OTOH I think touch is a large part of what makes tablets cool.
I don't know how much I will use one being retired .I just don't like being TOO behind the curve
I almost feel like I need to upgrade to win 8.1 when it comes out soon
even though 7x64 is doing the job just fine ,really no need *for me* to do that for now.

I can see and do see many uses for tablets especially in the business market space .
Many times I could have used one when I was working. Even The commercial
Air line pilots are putting load and flight plans in them countless other commercial uses ! I imagine the DOD are buying plenty for the armed forces also. Maybe a Panasonic Tuff Pad ? I'm thinking of a Nexus partly because of it's Google integration and good reviews .

Funny thing today CNBC mentioned Intel going up because of imbedded
Bay Trail tablet CPU . There is good a ZD net article on Intel about this

Intel today unveiled its new family of chips designed to challenge ARM in the tablet market - promising to deliver a two times performance boost on its earlier tablets and support a raft of new Windows 8 and Android tablets.
http://www.zdnet.com/intel-bay-trai...formance-as-it-takes-fight-to-arm-7000020350/

All that being said I'm thinking about a Nexus partly because of it's Google integration and also good reviews .

Last edited:
when i first got the ipod touch the very first thing i said was it would be the coolest thing ever if it was about 3 times as big. thats probably what they'll do next. and there it is.

Back
Top Bottom