You've got to be kidding? USPS at it again.

photomike

Well the guy packing it didnt do a good job either. Jackhole left the platter in place and packed it with the dustcover sitting on top, like he was boxing it up for storage.

Pictures are worth a thousand words........

1134672204_dual1249damaged_004.jpg

1134672236_dual1249damaged_005.jpg

1134672379_dual1249damaged_011.jpg

Do you guys have any recommendations for a Dual service tech in/near Dallas, TX. ??

I was really looking forward to getting this all hooked up. Now I've got parts.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike, man I am truly sorry. No matter how many times it happens to folks, it always amazes me what people think a little bubble wrap will do.

Now it is evident why buyers are willing to spend so much more for a unit in its original box and packing material. What an absolute abortion :sigh:

I can sure identify with you. Done some business with some pretty dismal packers myself. Some darn good gear is now dumpster food :tears:

Rich P

Turntable packing and shipping :no:

We have seen this many many times before and will many times in the future. There are some that will not ever consider buying a turntable on e-bay that requires shipping.

Many pack well, but a TT requires even more experiance. Platter off and in seperate box, dust cover off and in seperate box. Cart off and packed seperate, Arm secured, and on and on.

Lefty

I feel your pain. Here's what someone did to a Sansui 929 shipped to me recently. I'm still fighting this with DHL and the Audiogon seller.

I'll probably never purchase another tt used. Even insured there's no guarantee you're going to get anything but spare parts after a seller and a shipper get through with it.

Yes, even after 6 weeks I'm still bitter.

Attachments

• Sansui929c.jpg
    Sansui929c.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Sansui929a.jpg
    Sansui929a.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 198
photomike said:
Do you guys have any recommendations for a Dual service tech in/near Dallas, TX. ??
Looks beyond any service help to me.

Where's the counterweight for the tonearm?

WOW real glad I bought my TT from a friend we discussed at lenght how he would be packing the AMP TUNER AND Philips GA-209 TT I'm buying from him coming from DC to Oregon Parcel post.

But the platter is in a seperate box completely along with the TT power cord and manual. While the tone arm is locked into it's holder and then taped in place with that blue painters masking tape just to be sure. The TT is wrapped in two full layers of large cell bubble wrap and then in a double wall cardboard box with peanuts packed TIGHT around the Bubble wrap.

Don managed to get this all over Europe while in the USAF and it never suffered any damage so I'm hoping for the best. If nothing else he fully insured it not for what I paid but what it would cost to buy another one in like condition (I got a very very good deal)

I hope you can be made whole agin but that one looks screwed.

Moot, sorry to see that. And you always hear how the people on Audiogon tend to be better to deal with. Looks like as bad a packing job was done as any there was on e-pay....

And that is the reason I will travel 3 hours to pick up a 1229 that may or may not be any good. I was wondering where the counterwieght was while looking at the pics too.
Sorry to see a mess like that.

Yeah, I'm not happy as this was my 'first' TT in awhile. The 1249 seemed to be the one. I guess I got suckered by the seemingly easy pickings on the bay. I keep reading stories on here about the "$5 Thorens, Micro, AR" and I cant seem to ever find one at the thrifts. It's always junk or nothing at all.

I've been to every thrift within 25 miles of me and most of the pawns. Wish I had a good buy story.

I think I'm going to wait until after the first of the year and start dedicating myself to the estate sales on Saturdays. I dont know what else to do......

Mike

That truly sucks man.

I guess I wont be buying any turntables that need shipping,just to much of this going on. :thumbsdn:

photomike said:
Yeah, I'm not happy as this was my 'first' TT in awhile. The 1249 seemed to be the one. I guess I got suckered by the seemingly easy pickings on the bay. I keep reading stories on here about the "$5 Thorens, Micro, AR" and I cant seem to ever find one at the thrifts. It's always junk or nothing at all.

I've been to every thrift within 25 miles of me and most of the pawns. Wish I had a good buy story.

I think I'm going to wait until after the first of the year and start dedicating myself to the estate sales on Saturdays. I dont know what else to do......

Mike
Not to give away my good sources here in Dallas but, there are a bunch of good resellers here that you can do a local pickup with. There is an older man in Ft. Worth that I keep bookmarked all of the time just for that reason. :music:

proper way to ship a turn table

Unfortunately, this same situation happen to me on my Marantz 6200. Got a good deal for it on the bay, and didnt think of reassuring the seller on the packing, waited for it to come in. Thus, upon opening the nicely packaged box, found that , (people need to think), the platter was sitting where it suppose to be for playing albums, not for shipping. Thus again, the platter freely moved around in all directions and srcatched the heck out of the dust cover(which I was lucky in this case not to break), but a nice cosmeticed priced TT, now with a scratched dust cover and minor scratched to the inside of the platter area. PLEASE, people, pack the platter out of the unit and wrap separate. I wish I wouldnt have taken the seller for granted on this issue and confirm his shipping intenions.

I second that AMEN!

Damnd idiot should be flogged! :whip: :tears:

I've shiped a dozen turntables with no shipping damage. Takes a good deal of effort and a bit of money in packing materials, but sure beats the bad rap and pain from the buyer.

Packing first TT

I recently shipped my first TT and it was nerve wracking and time consuming. There is plenty of good advice on how to do it but this is how I did it: Excuse the "common sense" steps :

Remove the platter. Remove dust cover.
Tighten shipping screws up.
Remove stylus, weights, dust arm. put in a box w/ bubble wrap.
Put TT in a plastic bag. Tape box w/ acc. to the top. Wrap in bubble wrap.
Put platter between 2 cardboard pieces with bubble wrap.
Fill dust cover with cardboard to strengthen. Wrap in bubble wrap.
Use 20 x 20 x 20 box.
Put foam material in the bottom.
Put platter in.
Put TT in.
Some more bubblewrap.
Put in dust cover.
Some more bubblewrap.
Some foam material.
Tape.
Ship Fedex ground to California from Maryland. Got there perfect. :yes:

here is the counter weight what a f-upped shipper take em out in the field and shoot him another quality tt bites the dust

Back
Top Bottom