Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Hope you can find a nice home for those APM's Xart!

he, he, yep !

The SS-G333ES are growing on me more every day. They sure are great speakers, and their build quality is really amazing.

Excellent, :music:

Some day I will also own a TA-E900 and two TA-N900 monoblocs. They are still on my 'very much wanted' list :yes:

I hope for you, but the TA-N902 ist most impressive, on all the floors it answers Bass, Medium, Treeble, in more the punt response without exageration in one of the registers.

And ist most easy to repair because when the PLPS of TA-N 900 ist down ist difficult to find parts !

the alimentation of TA-N 902 fact calls with two good transformers easier to remake.

You should post some pictures again of your setup. Truly impressive man!

Yep, in september the TA-E and the TA-N are in revision and I remplace the transformers of the TA-N 902, because they are in 100V 50/60HZ one remakes windings with l identic but in 220V.

Friendly

Xart

If they weren't so big, I would definitely want to buy those APM's from you, but I know shipping will be outrageous... (and I just had such a wonderful experience with my speakers coming from Japan...NOT). Would love to own a pair of APM's though... even though they need servicing. So who knows ? (you can always pm me, my French is pretty good ;) )

I don't know what it is, but even though the TA-N902 is supposedly technically better, I still like the TA-N900 monoblocks better. It's just their very minimalist sleek looks that do it for me. I think I will have to throw an extraordinary amount of money Axel's way to convince him to give them to me :D

I hope the overhaul/revision of your precious equipment goes well !

I keep on talking about servicing my TA-E88B (it needs it), but no time, not enough skills... :thumbsdn:

The 777ES also needs a tuneup, because it is starting to skip (again!) intermittently. Scary stuff alright...

Anyways, I will be looking forward to your pictures Xart !

And dammit Axel, get your ass in here and post some more about those nice presents you got!!!!! :yes: :drool:

Lots of Sony ES fans here. Need some advice.

I managed to snag a 2nd TA-E80ES last week. The unit was advertised as "for parts", so I thought I'd grab it since these come up for sale so infrequently. I got it the other day and found that it is fully functional, aside from a cold solder joint on the tuner input.

Cosmetically, its not perfect though. Some scratches in the aluminum panel and one of the simulated wood panels is missing a section of veneer and another is peeling. The wood panels definetely need to be fixed if its going to sit in my system.

I've got two thoughts on how to fix the wood problem.
1) Obtain a melamine veneer that is as close to the original as possible and redo both sides to match.
or
2) Fabricate new solid wood panels and stain to match the original Sony dark cherry color.

Any thoughts on either of these solutions or any others to suggest? I'd really be interested in where to find small quantities of a simulated wood veneer that is a close match to the Sony ES line, circa 1990.

In the end, I'll probably use this unit as a test mule for some mods that I had in mind for the E80. That way, I'll have a good before and after reference that I can compare directly (or as quickly as I can switch them out;) )
If I end up satisfied with the mods, I'll probably sell off my minty stock original E80.

Hi billwillw,
In the past I also had a problem with damaged wood panels on my SONY TC765.
I never find a melamine close to the original so I decided to replace it by a new one. In fact it's not so difficult !

1 - how I received it - oups !!!
P1.jpgP2.jpg
2 - remove the old melamine. Use a good cutter and a glue thinner like acetone
P3.jpgP4.jpg
3 - very important : sand the panel after remouving the original melanine
P5.jpg
4 - the panel are ready for the next step : damaged edge repairing
P6.jpg

Hi billwillw,
In the past I also had a problem with damaged wood panels on my SONY TC765.
I never find a melamine close to the original so I decided to replace it by a new one. In fact it's not so difficult!
Patrick - I'm missing something here. Did you reuse the old melamine or did you put on all new melamine?

Hello Yamaha B-2
I replaced the melanine.
I have some others pics but I dont know why cannot upload them at this moment:scratch2:
To be continued ...

La suite ...

4 - the panels are ready for the next step : damaged edge repairing
P7.jpg
5 - for this I used this repairing paste - In this case I enlarged the damaged edge and I put some nails in the corner
P8.jpg
6 - I found on the french market this type of thermo-glued foil. It's made of natural wood like teck for instance. Because it's themo-glued all you need is a iron (ask it to your wife - I guess she will be very surprised like mine !!!)
P9.jpg
7 - Cut all the edges
P10.jpgP11.jpgP12.jpg
8 - Finally I used a beeswax but some other colouring oil can also be used
P13.jpg

Total cost 25€ ! Not so bad isn't it ?

Very nice work! We can purchase a similar product (wood veneer with thermo-glue backing) from Parts Express (and AK sponsor). I will have to do a similar thing with my TA-E77ES/N77ES this fall.

Very nice work! We can purchase a similar product (wood veneer with thermo-glue backing) from Parts Express (and AK sponsor). I will have to do a similar thing with my TA-E77ES/N77ES this fall.

The stuff from P.E. is iron-on Melamine, so it has a built in finish and you wouldn't be able to color match very well. The only wood color is walnut. I guess if you refinished all of your equipment at the same time, it wouldn't be an issue. Another problem is that it only comes in 24"x96" rolls for about $36 shipped. I probably only need 12" of the roll to finish the job. I think I could get a small hardwood board for less than that and saw, drill, and sand it into the right size/shape panel and stain it to match with just about as much effort as replacing the melamine with new laminate/veneer. I'll probably just take my time and explore my options for awhile.

...keeping in mind black ES units looks so much better with the shiny rounded panels delivered with the champagne-coloured units... :scratch2:

The stuff from P.E. is iron-on Melamine.
Reading from the top/sides of my box "Real Wood". Maybe the makers got it wrong. :D

...keeping in mind black ES units looks so much better with the shiny rounded panels delivered with the champagne-coloured units... :scratch2:
Axel - could you send me a set for my TA-E77ES/N77ES so that I can compare? I would be forever in your debt.

Attachments

• DSCN0108.JPG
    DSCN0108.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reading from the top/sides of my box "Real Wood". Maybe the makers got it wrong. :D

Or maybe P.E. quit carrying it...

I saw at the Band-It website that they do make a real wood iron on veneer in size like 24"x48" or 12"x48", just not at P.E. Supposedly, they sell the stuff at Lowes, Home Depot, etc., so I guess I'll just have to get out there and look when I have time.

EDIT: Glenn, are you sure that stuff is 'iron on'? Looks like its normal glue on stuff.

Last edited:
finally got to my storeroom...

Finally started unpacking my storeroom so here are a few initial pics of my pride and joy SSG333es speakers. They have been packed away for 6 years and 4 months. Stoffie, here's a few pics of my WS333 stands along with their instruction manual (japanese anyone?). Condition is pretty much perfect, the slight corrosion on the anodized aluminium frames has continued but is extremely minor. Pics to follow when I unpack more...

Attachments

• DSC00150 (Small).JPG
    DSC00150 (Small).JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00149 (Small).JPG
    DSC00149 (Small).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00148 (Small).JPG
    DSC00148 (Small).JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00142 (Small).JPG
    DSC00142 (Small).JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00137 (Small).JPG
    DSC00137 (Small).JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00151 (Small).JPG
    DSC00151 (Small).JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC00152 (Small).JPG
    DSC00152 (Small).JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00154 (Small).JPG
    DSC00154 (Small).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00156 (Small).JPG
    DSC00156 (Small).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00157 (Small).JPG
    DSC00157 (Small).JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00140 (Small).JPG
    DSC00140 (Small).JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00160 (Small).JPG
    DSC00160 (Small).JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00159 (Small).JPG
    DSC00159 (Small).JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 34
Those look great John ! Glad they survived the lengthy store-away ok!

Need to take some better pics of mine too. They look equally good, but suffer from more alu corrosion I'm afraid.

Would love to get the stands...

I've got no pictures but I have some 80's sony speakers (but they arn't very good) and a sony tape deck that works decently.

hey 5150, the thread is for any sony pics. If you love your gear, show it off. We 'aint snobs here, post any pics, and welcome to AK!

Here's some decent pics of my SS-G333ES. As you can see the alu corrosion is a bit worse than John's. As for the rest, they are in optima forma!

Check out their size compared to a KEF IQ5!

Attachments

• DSC00290_rs.jpg
    DSC00290_rs.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00289_rs.jpg
    DSC00289_rs.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00288_rs.jpg
    DSC00288_rs.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00284_rs.jpg
    DSC00284_rs.jpg