• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help buying NEW speakers

Not quite - since they claim +/- 3dB 34-20k, it could be -6dB at 34. It's generally a safe bet that Klipsch is pretty generous with their specs. I'd guess it starts rolling off 45-50Hz, but I definitely don't know.

That’s not flattering at all, the reason I’m considering them is because I thought they could go real low.:tears:
 
That’s not flattering at all, the reason I’m considering them is because I thought they could go real low.:tears:

My home builts are designed for an F3 point at 34 Hz. In room response, they play down to 27 Hz with some extension to the low twenties. Human hearing rolls off quite a bit that low.

I've built some massive speakers with big drivers that were tuned to only 20 Hz. I could feel the walls breath at 16Hz, but really couldn't hear much. Just seems a wasted effort.
 
Regardless of what brand/model you buy, if you end up buying new then Kudo's to you!!

If everyone bought used then our economy might end up in the dumpers....:scratch2:

I've bought all my speakers (Klipsch/EV/ESS/Superscope) new.

I understand the logic of buying used & saving a few dollars however, I also understand the logic of supporting the company which buying used doesn't accomplish.
 
+1 on Tannoys. There are many models to choose from, and they are to England what Klipsch are to us here in the States. They are very expensive and generally (especially in England) highly-coveted the same way JBL's are here. I had a pair of 6" concentric cone biampable studio monitors , and I traded them for a long-gone Mesa-Boogie bass cabinet. I regret that impulsive move now.
 
I have the ten year old System 800 passive studio monitors with an 8 inch dual concentric. For 3000 you should be able to get that same driver (and maybe they have a super tweeter now?) in a floor stander.
 
Hello im am in the US greetings!

I just found a pair of OHM I , they seem to be able to go lower than the cornwalls , there is even a modification to extend lower frequencie response. Do any of you gentlemen have experience on these speakers what is your opinion?
 
I would be inclined to find a fine woodworker in your area and have them make cabs for for good drivers and crossovers. There are many horns out there that fit 2" compression drivers and very good woofers too. So $1000 for the horns and CDs, $1000 for the woofers, $1000 for the cabs, $500 for crossovers. In each case all those prices are high except for maybe the crossovers. For the money you have to work with, you could end up with speakers that are FAAAAAAR better than the Cornwalls.
 
I just found a pair of OHM I
Are you talking about these, or the completely different Walsh 1?
http://www.ohmspeakers.com/images/I-med.jpg

They are a bit of an oddball design, and they should be priced a good bit cheaper than you'd find a classic Klipsch. If you listen to them and like them, it's a cool speaker to have. While you're in the US, I think you should look for a large model of ADS, JBL 4430 (there's a pair in new jersey), or JBL L300. These should be well-suited for the preferences you've described here and I think in another thread from a while back.
 
Here is what I'd look at:
The ejmlc300 horn with a 2" JBL compression driver body and Barillium (sp) diaphragm from True Extent and the TDM15 woofer from Aespeakers. Then start with a simple 1st order crossover and stuff it all in a beautiful Columbian hand crafted cabinet.

http://www.horns.pl/ejmlc300.html

http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=4

The third picture is what Cosmos did using the same components except he had his horns turned locally. Then a local woodworking made the cabinets. His system sound really great and is flat from about 30hz to 20khz or so.

For the price you have to work with, you could do much much better than the Cwalls.
 

Attachments

  • ejmlc300.jpg
    ejmlc300.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 11
  • TD15M-front.jpg
    TD15M-front.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMGP0191.JPG
    IMGP0191.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
So sure sounds like AE is having some real problems filling orders?

Seems like with as popular as they are, they'd be trying to find a way to really crank them out..
 
Might be Dumptruck, but a pair of TAD or JBL drivers would work very well too....they just don't look as cool as the TDs.
 
Are you talking about these, or the completely different Walsh 1?
http://www.ohmspeakers.com/images/I-med.jpg

They are a bit of an oddball design, and they should be priced a good bit cheaper than you'd find a classic Klipsch. If you listen to them and like them, it's a cool speaker to have. While you're in the US, I think you should look for a large model of ADS, JBL 4430 (there's a pair in new jersey), or JBL L300. These should be well-suited for the preferences you've described here and I think in another thread from a while back.

Yep thoes are the ones...

Ive spotted a L300 but asking price is 5000 dolars :no:
 
So sure sounds like AE is having some real problems filling orders?

Seems like with as popular as they are, they'd be trying to find a way to really crank them out..

I talked to someone there a month or so ago and they went from 7 or 8 employees to 1 guy. They may have changed....at least I hope so.
 
Here is what I'd look at:
The ejmlc300 horn with a 2" JBL compression driver body and Barillium (sp) diaphragm from True Extent and the TDM15 woofer from Aespeakers. Then start with a simple 1st order crossover and stuff it all in a beautiful Columbian hand crafted cabinet.

http://www.horns.pl/ejmlc300.html

http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=4

The third picture is what Cosmos did using the same components except he had his horns turned locally. Then a local woodworking made the cabinets. His system sound really great and is flat from about 30hz to 20khz or so.

For the price you have to work with, you could do much much better than the Cwalls.

Cosmos set up seems very nice :smoke:

Your advice is tempting, but remember this would be my first speakers ever so maybe that project is way over my understanding . Thank you anyways
 
I can understand you hesitance Jam. However, this is all very simple stuff and you have a lot of support here. These speakers would be the end all....in my opinion.
 
huh... mass exodus doesn't sound promising for the future... Here's to hoping they work things out, because I believe they are some of the finest drivers being produced.. .
 
I agree Sim, they are fine sounding drivers. I have 2 TD15s in my garage that need repair and I can't hardly get a hold of the guy. I am reluctant to go any further with them. I was also told that if the magnet has shifted even in the slightest, they can't be fixed but he would not tell me how to check it.
 
DJ,
Have you had a chance to hear the ejmlc300 horn?
I have a set of TD12S woofers on order in the group buy. Finger's crossed.

Here is what I'd look at:
The ejmlc300 horn with a 2" JBL compression driver body and Barillium (sp) diaphragm from True Extent and the TDM15 woofer from Aespeakers. Then start with a simple 1st order crossover and stuff it all in a beautiful Columbian hand crafted cabinet.

http://www.horns.pl/ejmlc300.html

http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=4

The third picture is what Cosmos did using the same components except he had his horns turned locally. Then a local woodworking made the cabinets. His system sound really great and is flat from about 30hz to 20khz or so.

For the price you have to work with, you could do much much better than the Cwalls.
 
I've not heard them Sky but I have talked to folks that have them and also have had other well known horns like the Edgars and TADs. All the comments were very positive. Looking at the polar responses and freq graphs, I can believe it.

I was going to get in on the group buy but work changed...once again and I decided to hold off.

Edit: There is a group buy for those and many other horns from Europe over on diyaudio. I'll post link when I find it.
 
Back
Top Bottom