• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Nakamichi MB-2 cdp

JonTee

Well-Known Member
Picked up this unit at a thrift today for $20. I usually pass on cdp's at the thrift, however, this one caught my attention. It's is big and heavy with separate rca outs for fixed and variable (has a volume control) as well as a digital coax out. Tried the variable out rca's into the Concept 12.0 main-in and liked the tone better than thru the pre-amp, however, there is not as much gain.

Anybody have one of these? Couldn't find much on it, but it seems like a better quaility item.

Jon:)
 
Register to hide this ad
I do

Bought one new early '90s, still have it. What I read says the MB-1/2/3 are much better than the MB-1/2/3s series (the next series).
 
I have a McIntosh that is basically the same thing. Nak Music Bank changer and variable outs. Even the remote control is the same as the Nak's. Mine was made in '95. Best sounding CDP I've ever owned!
 
I have the MB2s It is a great sounding CD player, and it has been completely reliable since it was new in 93. Good find.
 
One thing I have noticed with this

One thing I have found with the MB-2 that I have. It does not do well with a large portion of CD-R media that is available today. It does OK with really pricey high-quality media. Burning slow (if possible--often not) and 650MB (as opposed to 700MB) disks MAY affect this better--not sure. Old Mitsui Gold media is fine, but pricey. The symptom is backround chattering in some of the louder parts. Tried different levels and such; really seems to go with media; extent does vary some but it seem all "cheap" (including 'brand-name' as opposed to 'white-label') media seem to have the problem to one degree or another.-kby
 
I just got an MB1, plugged it in last night and was blown away by how much better it sounded than my H-K did. I've always assumed they all sounded about the same. But the Nak proved me wrong!
 
What fool sells a unit of that calibre for $10!?!
Used, it goes for $330 on average.
Mine was a bargain at half that price including shipping.

Lucky you...thrift find?
 
Yeah, I'm a thrift junkie...and an auction whore... and a diehard ebay seller. This was destined to be sold until I heard the damn thing...

I'm much better at selling networking gear, which is what I generally handle on ebay. I sell audio gear to fund my audio habit...I had to fix this unit though, someone had put a piece of plastic inside, messing up the load bank. Seems to work well now though..
 
FWIW the MB-1 (not MB-1s) is the "hand-crafted-by-elves-with-specially-matched-parts" (well, maybe not hand-crafted--I'd have to go look) version of the MB-2, so ya done pretty good. The other major diff, as far as I can see, is that the MB-1 for some reason DOESN'T have the volume control that can you can see turning even if you use the remote (has a variable and a fixed output). I know Sony has that on their fancy stuff of a few years back, but it was a cute novelty in the early '90s.
The chassis on the MB-1 is a bit heftier.
If you wish, I have the brochure for the MB-1/2/3 and can scan it. Ditto for the manual (which isn't large) in either English or French.-kby
 
Last edited:
Neither remotes for MB-1 or the MB-3 I have provide that feature although there is a vol control on the MB-3 which looks like it is for the phones.
Haven't tried that out yet.
 
Back
Top Bottom