AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

There was a crusty old curmudgeon on a mailing list Newman and I were on a few years ago named Ed Heath. He advocated this method quite vocally. I tried it once and it worked pretty well for me.

Try to cover the entire panel, about 1/4" thick. I didn't have trouble getting it to stick. If you really want to break up reflections in the box then take a ball pien hammer or something similar and "golf ball" the clay.

Ray

Thanks, Ray. I'll do it tonight and get back to ya.
I don't think it's so much the reflections causing the problem but the left and right sides of the cab vibrating at a certain frequency... Unless you mean it's the vibrating that's causing the reflections. Or is it the other way around? :smoke:
I give up.

They're related. The clay should help. It'll drop the panel resonance by adding mass and help with the higher frequency stuff by absorbing it. Let us know how that works.

Ray

They're related. The clay should help. It'll drop the panel resonance by adding mass and help with the higher frequency stuff by absorbing it. Let us know how that works.

Ray

DING DING DING
I put the clay in this morning, and we have a winner! It definitely helped the cab resonance and smoothed the response. Not as smooth as my Focals, but hey... I still think they sound great. The Focals are 5 times the price.
I do have a problem with the clay sticking to the MDF. I may try heating it up so it's softer. It also occurred to me that my wife had me flatten out the clay on wax paper with a rolling pin, and I may have used the side that was stuck to the wax.

is there any more info re: the special parts buy from PE? just wondering, as i was on verge of ordering x-over parts and saw the notice about it....keepin' my powder dry for now...and thanx for the work on that

Please be patient, working out some details to keep things on the up and up. I should be able to followup within a few days about whether or not this is a go and what the pricing would be.

In other news, I finally finished my pair today! I haven't had a chance to take any fresh pictures, and have only had a few minutes to listen, but I like them so far. Unfortunately one of the ports de-attached itself whilst I was transporting them, so I'll have to break down and buy another tube of epoxy and fix that in the next few days. Also, in my haste to finish them, I attached the baffle of one upside down, meaning that what I expected to be a bottom became a top. Ah well! I used nice oak everywhere, so it still looks just fine. I'll get you pictures soonish.

Last edited:
I do have a problem with the clay sticking to the MDF. I may try heating it up so it's softer. It also occurred to me that my wife had me flatten out the clay on wax paper with a rolling pin, and I may have used the side that was stuck to the wax.

That would do it. You might also try roughing up the MDF surface you're trying to stick to with some sandpaper.

In other news, I finally finished my pair today!

:thmbsp:

Ray

Boriswerks Indignia 3.5s

Finally got around to taking a few pictures. Enjoy!
(AutoCAD drawings also available by request)

AKdone1m.jpg

New speakers, and a "new" receiver to power them. A Pioneer SX-424. 12 watts of pure stereo power, baby. The Indignia on the right is currently missing its port, but I'll get that reinstalled soon enough.
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~hern0163/ak/done/AKdone1.jpg

AKdone2m.jpg

Yeah binding posts! Or rather spare brass bolts with permanent marker to distinguish polarity. Also, that's not my electrical engineering book. Probably my roommate's. I haven't the slightest idea why it's on my bookshelf.
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~hern0163/ak/done/AKdone2.jpg

Final assembly was done using a 23ga pneumatic pin nailer. Definitely the right tool for the job. When done, the pins are practically invisible.

I'm afraid I forgot to take crossover pictures before final assembly. I assure you that my crossover are not laid out anywhere near as neatly as the fine examples I've seen in this thread.

And finally, a word of advice--wear a long sleeve shirt when working with fiberglass. Gloves are NOT enough protection.

Absolutely gorgeous Comrade.

Much nicer than mine in MDF with a bad paint job to boot!

Happy with the way they sound?

Great job from BorisLab.

That is a truly unique pair of speakers, Boris. You can be exceedingly proud of what you have done. And I got to listen to Zilch's pair whilst passing through Berkeley a month or so ago, and the sound is delightful for such a small pair. I may have to build a pair, just for kicks. My cabinets won't be anywhere as nice as yours.

Again, great job.

"Boriswerks," heh, heh.

[There's just no end to us.... :p: ]

Peoples' Laboratory of Boris?

Just so's ya know, the shop here is not known as RayLab, it's Ray's Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy. (bonus points for the geek who knows the reference)

Ray

As a Star Wars geek, that's too easy. A certain cantina on Tatooine, perhaps?

Figrin D'an rocked that joint.

Actually, Obi-Wan was talking about Mos Eisley in general. One of my favorite movie quotes..."Mos Eisley spaceport: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

Sir Alec sure could deliver a line.

Back on topic, Boris, are you leaving them "in the raw" or going to oil them up?

Ray

You about ready to belly up to the Indignia bar, SI? Probably going to need a system in the teenager room soon. ;)

Ray

You about ready to belly up to the Indignia bar, SI? Probably going to need a system in the teenager room soon. ;)

Ray

Replace Minimus 7's? sounds like a plan.

You know my address.... :yes:

Seriously, it sounds like a worthy project. I'm waiting on the PE deal to see if I'll take the bait now or later.

Thank you all. This was a really enjoyable project. A project which I expect will continue to be enjoyable for quite some time. :thmbsp:

Happy with the way they sound?

Well, only one has gotten much playing time. The other is still due for surgery. But I like the sound that comes from the working one! Previous reviews have been right--the Indignia 3.5 produces way more bass than it rightfully should.

Did you seal the seams inside?

Um, not as such. I thought about it, but didn't have any of the silicone caulk that I used to seal my last set of speakers (which turned out terribly, by the way. Mostly listenable, but with a significant lack of bass. The Indignias are much better), so I figured I'd see how they dig with just the tight fitting together. I thought I could always try sealing later with something like the modeling clay which as recently been suggested for damping.

Great job from BorisLab. That is a truly unique pair of speakers, Boris.

Thank you, Jack.

Peoples' Laboratory of Boris?
Ooo. I like. I may have to rename. Also, I knew the quote, but clearly wasn't quick enough on the reply. The first music I listened to on my new Indignias was the main title to that movie.

Back on topic, Boris, are you leaving them "in the raw" or going to oil them up?

They have one coat of gloss polyurethane, and two coats of satin polyurethane. I'm considering them 'finished'. :D

Back
Top Bottom