Realistic MC 1000s - need new innards

BmWr75

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Zilch,

See PM on this topic.

The cabinets are in pretty good shape. Prime candidates for stripping and refinishing. Here's a picture of one of these speakers with the drivers removed.

Took the drivers out and made these INSIDE measurements.

Height = 15.75"
Width = 9.75"
Depth = 6.25"
Internal Volume = 0.56 ft3

Woofer cut out diameter = 7.25"
Tweeter cut out diameter = 2 3/8"

The Indignia drivers don't look like they will fit the cutouts. The woofer overall diameter is 6 15/16", will fall thru the hole. The tweeter requires a cut out diameter of 3 1/8", which will not fit in the 2 2/8" diameter cutout.

I can get a hole boring bit for my drill to make the tweeter hole bigger, but don't know what to do about the woofer hole being too big. Thoughts??

Last edited:
Cut out the front baffle and replace with a piece of 3/4 in. mdf. Then bore the correct holes.

Cut out the front baffle and replace with a piece of 3/4 in. mdf. Then bore the correct holes.

The little hole no problem. Big hole, don't have the wood working tools to do that. Am hopeing to find some drivers to fit the existing holes.

DIY bug bit you, has it? ;)

Unless the pair are mirror-imaged, the tweeter location is a problem.

Look at 18-Sound XD-125:

http://www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product&pid=262

$35 apiece if you're lucky/connected.

Woofer, depends on the actual diameter of the counterbore there.

116H = 8.5" OD,

116H-1 = 9" OD.

Closed box.

This is an AR4x upgrade formula.

attachment.php

No, I don't have a crossover worked out for it yet, but I'm doing similar with KLH-17 presently.... :yes:

I've never done anything like this before. Need to be educated.

Does the current front baffle need to be removed completely? It appears it is probably glued in (a guess)? If it is, how can the complete baffle be removed without damaging whatever is supporting it?

Project nearly done. Got one of the Realistic MC-1000 Econowaves (Oops! Maybe that should be Indignias) finished today. Waiting on the Acousta-Stuff for the other one. Here's some pictures. Not bad for starting out with some free wood cabinets a buddy gave me. Got'em this one hooked up to the tube system now giving it a listen. The second one stuff be done tomorrow if UPS man comes.

Thanks go again to Mr. Zilch for the design work. :beerchug:

Last edited:
BEAUTIFUL WORK! I want a pair.:yes:
Send a PM to Dave.

If there's enough interest, he may be willing to do another group buy:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188627

Project nearly done. Got one of the Realistic MC-1000 Econowaves (Oops! Maybe that should be Indignias) finished today.
I'd be excited, too! ;)

Thanks go again to Mr. Zilch for the design work. :beerchug:
It was the AK Indignia design team did it, actually. I just ran some supplemental calcs for these boxes.

What can I say but that you're very welcome! Seeing these actually being built and bringing pleasure to others is most satisfying for all of us.... :thmbsp:

If I had the cabbage I would..... just dreaming. I may do that if money comes my way. Very good looking and I bet they sound great.

If I had the cabbage I would..... just dreaming. I may do that if money comes my way. Very good looking and I bet they sound great.
Just so everyone knows, the component kit price was $115/pair in the first group buy, not including the boxes or crossover PC boards shown in BmWr75's project here.... :yes:

The UPS man came today, so the 2nd Indignia based on Realistic MC-1000 cabinets is complete. Here's the pics. The lighting is not too good where this one was sitting and a flash makes a glare. The color differences in the cabinet are just poor lighting.

Last edited:
Everyone. The are backordered. You should have received an expected receipt date on your copy of the packing list.

Here's a picture of the Indignia MC-1000 in stealth mode using the modified, original speaker grills (had to mirror image them, enlarge the tweeter hole and add the 1.5" vent hole.

Also posted a picture of the crossovers. I've never built a circuit like this before. Kudo's to Zilch on the prototype pictures and wiring diagram. Just copied it not knowing how each component interacts to do its job. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Zilch,

I'm listening to new to me CD, Larry Carlton - Fingerprints, on these Indignia class speakers right now. Man.....they have no right to sound as good as they do!!!! I'm continue to be amazed by the bass that comes out of these things with the itty bitty 7" woofers.

Thanks again,
BmWr75

Last edited:
Hooked an 8" Mirage sub up with these Indignias today and am driving them with a Pioneer SX-980 using both the A and B channels. Sounds amazing!!

Blast,

Here are the only two other pictures I took while building these speakers. Sorry.

BmWr75

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom