AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

My circle cutting jig seemed to turn out dims about 1/32 undersized, so i bumped up the cutouts + 1/16th and now there is some play but they are close. A little black paint from a paint pen will do wonders to hide the MDF from showing through.

I'm sorry for everyone that needed milling done that it's taken so long to get to them, had a series of unfortunate incidents over here.

It's fine, Dave. :yes:

Looks like you've got it all worked out, and the next group will go easier.... ;)

Looks great, Dave.:thmbsp: I guess I'll go ahead and assemble the crossover, can hardly wait to get these done and fire them up!:D

Russellc

those look great, dave, i gotta get mine out the door and up to you, thanx for all your help getting this thing organized

With all this positive energy flying around, let me be the first to say "it's about bloody time!" :D

As we say out here in BFE, "I done did it!"

Why are you typing and not milling baffles? Nose to the grindstone and all that. Come to think of it, you're one of the few people I can think of that could keep your nose to the grindstone and your ear to the ground at the same time. Get with it, man!

Ray

Awful quiet around here, anyone getting theirs completed? I'll post pics as soon as I can assemble, awaiting turn to have panels cut. Let's see some of the results!

Russellc

Russellc,

Glad to see someone else is getting impatient here. I'm still using my Indignias every day on my desk as nearfield monitors and tuned to a college FM jazz station with a fantastic uncompressed signal. They are a joy to have on all day.

They are a joy to have on all day.
Same here. LOVE these little things.

I have a small run of production crossover PC boards on the way. **Edited By Moderators**:thmbsp:

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. LOVE these little things.

I have a small run of production crossover PC boards on the way. **Edited By Moderators**:thmbsp:

I already have my own etched printed circuit boards, stuffed with the exception of one part. All I need is the 1.5 mH inductors from PE and my milled baffles. I had hoped to have these ready to give to Ben and Jane a week or so ago, but with this kind of weather, they aren't using their house in Rocky Point anyway.

Patience is the best bet, but is tough at times!

I just heard from a friend building a set that the inductors are beginning to arrive again. He just got his today.

Awful quiet around here, anyone getting theirs completed? I'll post pics as soon as I can assemble, awaiting turn to have panels cut. Let's see some of the results!

Russellc

I assembled the first crossover during the Rose Bowl game, so it took about 4 hours, the second took 30 minutes (Picture 1). That's an old "school slate" piece of masonite I recycled. I made a temporary plywood baffle (Picture 2) since I had to wait for a friend and his router to help make the cuts, shown in partially stuffed box (Picture 3). The temp baffle now has the port cut and installed, awaiting testing against the finished un-ported version (Picture 4) to see if I want them ported or not. Pretty much done except for the port decision, and buying black screws. They sound pretty good at low volume late nite testing yesterday.

Attachments

• P1040971XOver.JPG
    P1040971XOver.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 237
  • P1040973TempBaff.JPG
    P1040973TempBaff.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 353
  • P1040991CutBaff.JPG
    P1040991CutBaff.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 274
  • P1040992NoPortDone.JPG
    P1040992NoPortDone.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 329
I assembled the first crossover during the Rose Bowl game, so it took about 4 hours, the second took 30 minutes (Picture 1). That's an old "school slate" piece of masonite I recycled. I made a temporary plywood baffle (Picture 2) since I had to wait for a friend and his router to help make the cuts, shown in partially stuffed box (Picture 3). The temp baffle now has the port cut and installed, awaiting testing against the finished un-ported version (Picture 4) to see if I want them ported or not. Pretty much done except for the port decision, and buying black screws. They sound pretty good at low volume late nite testing yesterday.

Very nice. Hope to have mine completed soon. Will post pronto, to be sure.
Nice looking speakers there!

Russellc

Congrats, Webbb. They look nice.

FWIW, I prefer mine ported but bought some "Zilchplugz" at Home Depot in case I change my mind. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom