• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help Technics MK II tone arm weight

vuel

New Member
Hey,

I just bought a pair of technics almost new, but I am struggling with the tone arm weight -these are my first technics.


I am using Ortofon cartridges and I have to screw the tone arm weight at its maximum in order for the cartridge to be well mounted.

It seems as if the tone arm weight is too heavy, the 0 equilibrium balance is obtained at 1.5g before the top end of the tone arm weight screw. It is the same thing on both turntables.

The probleme as a result is that my cartridge are too light on the record (it is at +1.5g instead of +5g), as a result they jump when anyone hits the deck.

I've check the anti skating and it works fine.

Is the problème from the weight that is too heavy or the tone arm that maybe is too heavily screwed ?


Thanks a lot,

Marc
 
Register to hide this ad
You need to balance the arm first. With the Headshell/Cartridge attached. Twist the counterweight. Until the arm floats level above the table. It shouldn't touch the table or point upward.

Once you do this. Hold the weight. Then turn the outter ring with number on it to 0. Once you do this turn the entire counter weight to the recomended tracking force.
 
I've installed Ortofon Omegas (very similar to OM5Es -- the pointy-looking ones) on some Technics tables and had the same thing happen -- the counterweight is really up on the pivot.

Do you have the auxiliary counterweight installed on these arms? It's a silver cylindrical piece that screws in to the back of the tonearm. If you do have it, try removing it.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
You have the aux counterweight -- it's the cylindrical metal piece on the back of the tonearm. Just unscrew it and set it aside and you're golden. No need to worry!:yes:
 
I Love you man! I was going to try to get them repaired / sent back to the guy who sold'em to me :p These decks were such a bargain that since the beginning I thought they were fake / faulty :p


ps: I think the guy who sold them to me never noticed that as I remember he was struggling with the needles (he bought the decks 3 years ago btw)...


Thanks a lot!!!
 
Last edited:
I Love you man! I was going to try to get them repaired / sent back to the guy who sold'em to me :p These decks were such a bargain that since the beginning I thought they were fake / faulty :p


ps: I think the guy who sold them to me never noticed that as I remember he was struggling with the needles (he bought the decks 3 years ago btw)...


Thanks a lot!!!
No problem, glad I could help. Enjoy the tables! :thmbsp:
 
Great advice.
Can I offer a little bit more? Don't lose the extra weight, you may need it some day, and you'll kick yourself if you lose it.
 
Back
Top Bottom