The Pioneer SPEC Series

Dr. Strangelove

The SPEC series is presented here. Nothing else need be said (except that the year is the catalog from which the photos/specs were taken).

1979 SPEC-1
1979 SPEC-2
1979 SPEC-4

1978 SPEC-1 and SPEC-2 (German)
1978 SPEC-3 and SPEC-4 (German)

1978 SPEC-3 and SPEC-4

edit: Looking at a 1977 Japanese catalog, I found some very striking similarities with some components.

1977 C-77
1977 M-77
1977 C-73
1977 M-75
1977 M-73
1977 C-1500
1977 M-1500

I believe that the Japanese versions of the SPEC-1 and SPEC-2 are the C-77 and M-77. I also believe that the SPEC-3 and SPEC-4 are the C-73 and M-75.

Additionally, and I would not go so far as to say they were SPEC equipment, there is the M-73, C-1500, and M-1500. Photos attached for your consideration.

Doc

Attachments

• spec-1.jpg
    spec-1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • spec-2.jpg
    spec-2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 621
  • spec-4.jpg
    spec-4.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 613
  • spec-1 and spec-2 german.jpg
    spec-1 and spec-2 german.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 507
  • spec-3 and spec-4 german.jpg
    spec-3 and spec-4 german.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 467
  • spec-3 and spec-4.jpg
    spec-3 and spec-4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 659
  • c-77.jpg
    c-77.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 318
  • m-77.jpg
    m-77.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 324
  • c-73.jpg
    c-73.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 799
  • m-75.jpg
    m-75.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 339
  • m-73.jpg
    m-73.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 821
  • c-1500.jpg
    c-1500.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 308
  • m-1500.jpg
    m-1500.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Retro Stereo said:
Those look vaguely familiar.... :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
Retro

Yep, I figured you would recognize them<g>

Let me know what you think of the Japanese models.

And, what are those four buttons between the two VUs on the M-75? Even with a magnifying glass on the original catalog, there is not enough detail for me to read the writing.

Doc

Last edited:
These are the speaker buttoms. You could connect 2 pairs of speakers and one headphone ! ( Same as EXCLUSIVE M3 )

This is one of the things I don´t like from my SPEC´s. I can connect one pair of speakers directly to my SPEC-4. But than I cannot use the headphone jack on my SPEC-1 !

m-75.JPG

m-75(1).JPG

Last edited:
"This is one of the things I don´t like from my SPEC´s. I can connect one pair of speakers directly to my SPEC-4. But than I cannot use the headphone jack on my SPEC-1 !"

There is a unique feature on the Sony 2000F preamp, it has two sets of preamp outputs. One is muted to the amp if headphones are plugged in but the other output set is not defeated so you have a choice. Also has a center channel output to feed a sub amp that is level controlled by the independent headphone volume control. The Sony is one cool preamp.

Sorry but we don't have a Sony forum so I sometimes have to crash the brands sites :music:

Lefty

siamac said:
These are the speaker buttoms. You could connect 2 pairs of speakers and one headphone ! ( Same as EXCLUSIVE M3 )

This is one of the things I don´t like from my SPEC´s. I can connect one pair of speakers directly to my SPEC-4. But than I cannot use the headphone jack on my SPEC-1 !

Thanks, Siamac. Also, your photo is much better than the catalog photo.

Doc

Damn you, Siamac. That photo of the M-75 is causing me to rethink what I want to do for my next system. I really like it.

Doc

Hard stuff to find, I'm going to list my 1250 and 9100 and throw some$ at it , do you guy's ever see the Japanese stuff for sale? There is a system in the classified with an amp that goes into protection, I don't have a problem with that but I don't want the whole system. I could live with a spec4 but boy the 3 is sweet

Pricey ??? :scratch2: $ 1178,- :scratch2:

I didn´t liked my SPEC-3, because it had not the build quality of SPEC-1, even the frontplate was thinner.

siamac said:
Pricey ??? :scratch2: $ 1178,- :scratch2:

I didn´t liked my SPEC-3, because it had not the build quality of SPEC-1, even the frontplate was thinner.

I have both the C-77 (Japanese SPEC 1) and the C-73 (Japanese SPEC 3) and agree with Siamac. As a preamp, the C-77 is the more visually attractive and robustly built of the two, well built and versatile. The C-73 also uses a thinner frontplate, like the SPEC 3. I haven't had a chance to compare their sound.

I bought my C-73 paired with the M-73 amp, which has almost exactly the same dimensions, as well as the thinner faceplate. Interestingly, the C-73/M-73 combination doesn't look all that different from the SC-1500/SM-1500 set I just bought. When I have time, I'll try to find out the differences.

By the way, did I read that price right? One thousand plus dollars for a C-73?! I've got two that I'll gladly part with for, say, two thirds of that. :D

Regards,
expatguy

SoCal Sam said:
Hmmm, I'm not so interested in a SPEC 3 / C-73 anymore.

Don't get me wrong. When I say the C-77/SPEC 1 strikes me as being better, I'm not saying that the C-73/SPEC 3 is a piece of junk. I haven't done side-by-side tests, but I don't remember the C-73 sounding bad compared to the C-77. Still, considering the ridiculously high prices the SPEC 3s go for, I'd lose interest really fast, too. Especially considering that the SPEC 3/C-73 seems to be a stripped down version of the SPEC 1/C-77. It's smaller, lighter, and has fewer functions. Why pay more for less unless you're a hardcore collector who just has to have one?

One day I want to line up my SC-1500, C-73 and C-77 preamps and really compare them. The only problem is that I'd have to drag the 1500 and 73 home from the office, and my wife would be less than pleased if she knew I'd bought all this stuff! I got them for a good price, but I don't think that logic would get me very far.

Women!:dunno:

Regards,
expatguy

Back
Top Bottom