Modern speaker cable / old-style barrier strip

nsgarch

McStatic
Modern speaker cable / old-style Mac barrier strip

Here's my solution to the problem of adapting big fat speaker cables with big fat spades to Mac amps with teeny weeny barrier strip speaker terminals. There are two different parts involved. You'll need:

(4) brass adapter forks usually available on Ebay. Go to 'vintage electronics' and type in 'forks'. Or on Audiogon under McIntosh.
(4) spade-to-banana adapters available from PS Audio.

In the attached pics of my system, I'm using the 4ohm tap, so I've oriented the adjoining forks one up and one down to allow clearance between the spade adapters. If you're using 8 or 16 ohm taps, you don't need to do this.

I think it's an elegant and solid solution. Hope it helps anyone who's been pondering this problem :yes: :thmbsp:

Attachments

• spade_to_banana.jpg
    spade_to_banana.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 679
  • MC275BPadapt1.jpg
    MC275BPadapt1.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 1,031
  • MC275BPadapt2.jpg
    MC275BPadapt2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 703
  • MC275BPadapt3.jpg
    MC275BPadapt3.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 778
  • fork adaptors.2.jpg
    fork adaptors.2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 662
  • fork adaptors.1.jpg
    fork adaptors.1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 750
Those look really easy to short againt one another, I think I'd be looking for some insulation.
Actually it's quite a safe arrangement, for sure in the 8 or 16 ohm configuration. With the 4 ohm setup like mine, you just have to stagger the orientation of the adaptors and you're OK :yes:

When I had my MC275 IV, I used a pair of these:

outpost-mono-lg.jpg

Prelude Audio makes these, and other designs using high-quality components.

Their website:

http://www.preludeaudio.com/index.htm

No affiliation other than a well-pleased customer. nsgarch's idea certainly has merit, however also could lend itself to an accident that need not happen, ie....grounding.

Best,

Paul :thmbsp:

Nice.. but what about bare spade lugs for 10 gauge cable?
Amp_lug.jpg

What are the barrier strips? #6 machine screws?
terminal_lugs_1.jpg

On the other end are insulated spades for LARGER barrier strips with #8 screws.
terminal_lugs_3.jpg

And the price can't be beat....
spades.jpg

All of these are crimps with no solder. You can rough them up with scotch-bright if necessary, but notice how the screws dig into and scrape the surface.

-Gregory

Nice.. but what about bare spade lugs for 10 gauge cable?
Gregory, that's a good way to do it if you're "rolling your own" cables, and the little machined billet spades from Cardas (like the ones on the device Beemer posted) are really beautiful and easy to work with.

But I'm sure you realize that many people (for various reasons) want/need to utilize cables with modern terminations, and so my suggestion (and Paul's) are for them.

Prelude Audio also do custom loudspeaker cables that you can specify terminated with the narrow cardas spades which fit the McIntosh barrier strips (the same as in the photograph).

I imported some from the US to use with my MC275 mk IV's and very nice they look too.

Gregory,
That's my solution. Works well, simple, elegant and functional.

Yeah.. well the repaired cabinet was setup over the weekend and I took some pics of the cables and terminations. Have a look. Making your own cables is FUN!!

Photo-1: four #10 copper cords bring the 4-ohm and 8-ohm transformer taps outside the cabinet and almost to the floor.

Photo-2: another 8 position HEAVY barrier strip on the floor between the speakers. Brown wires are from C33 monitor amp output.

Photo-3: for tests purposes I ran additional cable and brought the speakers out into the room and turned them around 180°.. the Black and Red lines are make with Sharpie pens. :)

Photo-4: these are Mitchell connectors under the Thiels. The tighter you turn them the tighter the copper gets clamped, and the tighter the banana post gets in the jack.​

-Gregory

Attachments

• barrier_8pos_I.jpg
    barrier_8pos_I.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 270
  • barrier_8pos_II.jpg
    barrier_8pos_II.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 181
  • barrier_6pos.jpg
    barrier_6pos.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Mitchells.jpg
    Mitchells.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 189
Gregory, that's a good way to do it if you're "rolling your own" cables, and the little machined billet spades from Cardas are really beautiful and easy to work with. I'm sure you realize that many people want/need to utilize cables with modern terminations, and so my suggestion are for them.

Yes.. that is understood.

-Gregory

Note, the MC275 is 75 watts per channel not 750.....Bwaaaaaa.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Ron, what's wrong with the cardas connectors ? They do the job ok and aren't very expensive.

It is virtually impossible to find anything else that will fit apart from Lucar type tinned crimp car lugs....or bare wires....

Ron, what's wrong with the cardas connectors ? They do the job ok and aren't very expensive. It is virtually impossible to find anything else that will fit apart from Lucar type tinned crimp car lugs....or bare wires....

Crimped car lugs!! LOL

I wouldn't let my dawg listen to those cables!!
{ not to mention getting them broken in }

-Gregory

Back
Top Bottom