• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman R-117 score, it's all true!

Bigears

Manager of my own day
I wasn't particularly looking for a Luxman R-117, but one threw itself at me Saturday and I could not pass it up. I've heard wonderful things about its tuner, big power with huge headroom, and overall outstanding sonics, even still I did not have high expectations. I figured it would be the same experience I’ve had with other late 80’s TOTL stereo receivers; degraded build, so-so tuner and thin sounding front end without enough power behind it to really open up my larger speakers.

The R-117 went to the bench first, since I wasn’t sure it even worked, long story. Anyway, once cleaned up and working right, I wired it into my L100t3’s, played a few favorite CD’s and put the hammer down. Wow.

The R-117 is impressive right from the start. The most noticeable attribute is the nearly limitless power; at least the equal of the 200 wpc receivers in my collection and closer to the reserve headroom in my high power separates. Even at extreme power levels the bass sounds tight and the rest of the spectrum doesn’t suffer when the amp is working hard. I have a large listening room and can listen at fairly loud volumes without being right in front of the speakers, an excellent way to audition high power and the R-117 does not disappoint. Even the tuner is nice.

I think the R-117 is my new favorite. I know I’m not alone. I wish I had the remote.
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to the R-117 club.It is indeed one of the best receivers built in my opinion.I have a few totl receivers but the r-117 is my best.There are many positive reviews that are out there.Check out Audioreview.I also wish I had the remote but for $26.99 I can't complain.
 
Congratulations. And thanks for the review. It's always been on my radar and your comments just make me drool more. Hope to join the club someday! :)
 
I have its baby brother R-113 which has excellent sound and build quality but much less power (still ample for my use). It is a more modern piece that easily compares to my vintage stuff. Stupidly I passed up a remote for it at the sally ann for 2 bucks about 3 months before I picked it up; lesson learned -- always buy cool remotes when found for cheap.
 
I wasn't particularly looking for a Luxman R-117, but one threw itself at me Saturday and I could not pass it up. I've heard wonderful things about its tuner, big power with huge headroom, and overall outstanding sonics, even still I did not have high expectations. I figured it would be the same experience I’ve had with other late 80’s TOTL stereo receivers; degraded build, so-so tuner and thin sounding front end without enough power behind it to really open up my larger speakers.

The R-117 went to the bench first, since I wasn’t sure it even worked, long story. Anyway, once cleaned up and working right, I wired it into my L100t3’s, played a few favorite CD’s and put the hammer down. Wow.

The R-117 is impressive right from the start. The most noticeable attribute is the nearly limitless power; at least the equal of the 200 wpc receivers in my collection and closer to the reserve headroom in my high power separates. Even at extreme power levels the bass sounds tight and the rest of the spectrum doesn’t suffer when the amp is working hard. I have a large listening room and can listen at fairly loud volumes without being right in front of the speakers, an excellent way to audition high power and the R-117 does not disappoint. Even the tuner is nice.

I think the R-117 is my new favorite. I know I’m not alone. I wish I had the remote.

Congrats Bigears! I bought one on the recommendation of our audio friend in Woodland Hills and it is everything as advertised. IMO, the R-117 is one of the best if not THE BEST of the 80's receivers. I was lucky enough to find the RR-117 remote BEFORE getting the R-117 itself. I also have the matching D-109 CD player sitting on top of my R-117 and that is pure BPC eye candy.
 
Welcome to the R-117 club.It is indeed one of the best receivers built in my opinion.I have a few totl receivers but the r-117 is my best.There are many positive reviews that are out there.Check out Audioreview.I also wish I had the remote but for $26.99 I can't complain.

I thought I had no complaints but sheesh, $26.99! At $82, I paid way too much for mine!:D
 
I use a Luxman TP-114 tuner/preamp that is just a couple years newer (1991) than the R-117 and it's a very good component as well. If I had to say it has a weakness, it would be the phono section but that's comparing it to my Mitsu DA-C20, which has one of the sweetest preamps of anything I've heard.

How is the phono section of the R-117 compared to other separates of that era? :scratch2:

 
Way to go, Bigears!

I've always been impressed with Luxman receivers. Funny that the remotes always seem to be missing though...why is that?

I saved this poor R-115 from the dreaded recycler and spent $2 for a replacement AC power cord. Can you believe that someone actually threw this away????

I have to say I should have kept it as it was indeed a very well built and beautifully sounding receiver, but alas it was flipped to purchase other pieces.

r1151qt5.jpg


r1159wn3.jpg


Enjoy that R-117!
 
I use a Luxman TP-114 tuner/preamp that is just a couple years newer (1991) than the R-117 and it's a very good component as well. If I had to say it has a weakness, it would be the phono section but that's comparing it to my Mitsu DA-C20, which has one of the sweetest preamps of anything I've heard.

How is the phono section of the R-117 compared to other separates of that era? :scratch2:


I got a TP-114 for cheap as well, with the remote. I love this thing! I mate it with a tube amp or chip amp and it works so well. The phono section is kinda stinky but that's cool as I have a tubed phono pre so no problem hearing vinyl in all its glory.

I love how the remote volume control is motorized and you can see an LED in the knob rotate up or down. So freaking cool. Anything under a $100 for this I think is an absolute steal! :banana:
 
I got a TP-114 for cheap as well, with the remote. I love this thing! I mate it with a tube amp or chip amp and it works so well. The phono section is kinda stinky but that's cool as I have a tubed phono pre so no problem hearing vinyl in all its glory.

I love how the remote volume control is motorized and you can see an LED in the knob rotate up or down. So freaking cool. Anything under a $100 for this I think is an absolute steal! :banana:

Yeah, well I bought mine new in 91' so I paid a bit more for it than that. :D
 
Excellent purchase. I am a big fan of Luxman equipment.

I own a vintage RX-103 receiver, and a R-114 for the office. I really like the sound of the RX-103 (the servo even works!)
 
George 1355,
Are you all positive that a remote is available for an R-113? When I look closer at my 2 units, I could not even find a receptor (an eye)
 
I've been very interested in getting a R-117 or R-115 for my bedroom system. The 115 probably has enough power for my 4 ohm speakers at bedroom volumn. I like the reviews and that they have (sometimes) a remote. I've shyed away because of warnings of it being impossible to get replacement parts if something goes afoul. What has been your experience?
 
Great receiver!

I have an R-115 I picked up at a yardsale, along with a Kenwood Eq and a non-working Luxman CDP for $10.00. No remote, alas.

It took a lot of elbow grease to clean it up, but under the patina of dust and grease was a very clean receiver.

The sound is powerful with plenty of detail, even at high volume. I think it's the best receiver I own although I can only use it with CD-Direct. Can't figure out how to use it otherwise.

But, hey, for 10 bucks I have a nice workroom system. :music:
 

Attachments

  • Luxman and Allison.JPG
    Luxman and Allison.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 216
Congrats Bigears! I bought one on the recommendation of our audio friend in Woodland Hills and it is everything as advertised. IMO, the R-117 is one of the best if not THE BEST of the 80's receivers. I was lucky enough to find the RR-117 remote BEFORE getting the R-117 itself. I also have the matching D-109 CD player sitting on top of my R-117 and that is pure BPC eye candy.

Sam, I was sorta looking for an R-117, but I didn't think it could be THAT spectacular, despite what you and Chris said. Boy was I wrong and had I known, I would have purchased one for a lot more with the remote, but I seem to have a R-115 remote on the way, so I'm covered.

Max, my R-117 was purchased from a recycler too along with 4 other pieces of true vintage gear, all had cut cords! The R-117 had a dead channel and I'm sure that is why it was tossed. A good cleanup and some DeoxIT later and both channels perform strong and even. I did set the bias, which was way out of spec on one channel but everything is fine and I've been playing it since Saturday with zero issues.

The way this unit can open up speakers, even at moderate volumes is impressive. I have my Sony ES 707ESD playing some jazz fusion and I'm lovin' it. I don't know if any of my other vintage gear compares. I will have to see to that with a comparo or two! The headroom for 160 wpc is way beyond my expectations.
 
The one stereo I did a head to head comparison with the R-117 was a Sansui 9090db.The Sansui is one fine unit.It held its own with the R-117 until the added wpc and headroom took the Lux to another level.I love my Sansui to the max but the luxman is a very special unit.I got this Luxman before I got the Sansui and it showed me what a real stereo can do.
 
I'm sure Bigears and our friend Chris would appreciate this question. Is the R-117 the BEST 80's receiver?

I'll admit, I haven't heard them all but here are the one's I have. TOTL only...

Sony STR-GX10ES (150 wpc)
NAD 7600 (150 wpc)
Carver Receiver (130 wpc)
Carver HR-772 (150 wpc)
Onkyo TX-108 (100 wpc)
Kenwood KR-1000 (120 wpc?)
Luxman RX-103 (75 wpc)
Pioneer SX-3900 (120 wpc)
Concept 12.0D (120 wpc)
Yamaha R-2000 (150 wpc)
 
I'm sure Bigears and our friend Chris would appreciate this question. Is the R-117 the BEST 80's receiver?

I'll admit, I haven't heard them all but here are the one's I have. TOTL only...

Sony STR-GX10ES (150 wpc)
NAD 7600 (150 wpc)
Carver Receiver (130 wpc)
Carver HR-772 (150 wpc)
Onkyo TX-108 (100 wpc)
Kenwood KR-1000 (120 wpc?)
Luxman RX-103 (75 wpc)
Pioneer SX-3900 (120 wpc)
Concept 12.0D (120 wpc)
Yamaha R-2000 (150 wpc)

Sam, I've heard and or owned a a few of these and I don't see any of them coming close except perhaps the Sony, which I haven't heard. What do you think?

Superdog, I love my Sansui 9090DB, but as you state, the R-117 is at another level completely.
 
Sam, I've heard and or owned a a few of these and I don't see any of them coming close except perhaps the Sony, which I haven't heard. What do you think?

Superdog, I love my Sansui 9090DB, but as you state, the R-117 is at another level completely.

The Big Sony is fairly close soundwise but way ahead in the looks department. The 12.0D is surprisingly good and I think a worthy contender. The SX-3900 was also pretty good but not in the R-117 class. The rest are interesting but flawed in one way or another. The Carver HR-772 is easily the worst built while the KR-1000 is the most garrish. The NAD 7600 is the most disappointing, I've owned two and both were dull performers. The receivers that didn't make the cut got shown the door. My two cents...
 
Back
Top Bottom