• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

recent multichannel amp recommendations?

viggy

Member
I'm looking for a surround sound amp that excels for audio and build quality and don't need the latest a/v bells and whistles. 5 channel, at least 100W/ch. I might spend up to $500 for the right used unit, but figure there's a lot of nice gear available for half that or less.

Any suggestions? If you have a top three that fit that description, even better.
 
Register to hide this ad
Audiogon is your friend.

There are too many mulitchannel amps to list them all...Rotel, Parasound, Sherbourn, Emotiva, Anthem, Carver, et al. (no specific order).

You would be doing VERY well to find one 5 x 100 for $250 or less.

A quick check of Audiogon seems to indicate that at around $400-$500 they are selling pretty quickly. So, even at that price, you'll have to be ready to pull the trigger or likely miss out.

Do you actually mean an amp, or do you really mean an AV receiver?

The part that's got me a bit confused is the "don't need the latest A/V bells and whistles". I could interpret that two ways - a power amp that doesn't really have bells and whistles anyway, or an older receiver that doesn't have the very latest features like room correction.
 
sensible sound current issue reviews the Onkyo TX-SR705 and 805 -- i am the recent owner of a 705- this piece of kit is astonishing at its price point. i recommend you at least read the reviews.
 
Adcom has numerous 5-channel offerings, many selling within your price range on the used market. In general, Adcom amps have proven to be solidly built, durable, and good-sounding. Consider the GFA-6000 (100wx3 + 60wx2) or GFA-7400 (100wx5), or you might get lucky on a GFA-7000 (125wx5). I have a GFA-6000 that worked very well for me.
 
Do you actually mean an amp, or do you really mean an AV receiver?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I mean an a/v receiver, of course. A $500 ceiling for a used unit narrows the choices a bit. I see lots of Sony STR-DG510 units recently sold on ebay, and other decent looking receivers from Yamaha, Pioneer, etc going for cheep, but don't know which modern mass-market makers are great at their price point, and which might best be avoided.
 
Denon usually has very nice AV receivers, especially higher up the line. Might get lucky with a secondhand AVR-38xx (several revisions) somewhere, although that's probably already pushing your budget ceiling.
 
I came across a Sony DA5000ES locally on CL. It fills my tricky space well. I use it for audio only, the video functions are reserve capacity for now; it's in the basement though it would be a big upgrade for the upstairs tv system.

The Sony is rated at 170wpc for all 7.1 and is actually a lot more modern than I was particularly seeking. Everything except HDMI upconversion, which is why the brain surgeon (no kidding) was selling it. $400.

I now run Klipsch rf3's in the front and beat-up HPM-100's in the rears with Advent Legacy III's (surprisingly good) in the middle, no center or sub. Fun, no matter how glued together.

The digital Sony has edged out my Marantz 2285B and Soundcraftsmen A5002 at least for now. I don't use the sound fields, but a little delay does help to even out the 13wx30lx7' room, something no combination of the other amps can do. Apples to oranges to peaches comparisons, I suppose. Could use a more integrated speaker upgrade, too.
 
At the price range you are looking at I would recommend Denon product...especially if you haven't committed to anything yet.

Klipsch w/ that compression driver can get fatiguing, especially on Sony stuff - very bright. If you can snag a prior model year Marantz you would be in very good shape.
 
Back
Top Bottom