Hello all, I'm new to this site and relatively new to world of turntables and vinyl. I've been doing some reading on this forum and others about different tonearms and styli and have a question which I haven't been able to get a definitive answer to.
Many people seem to believe that s-shaped tonearms are better for record wear, especially with an elliptical stylus, as the tracking error is higher on straight tonearms. The argument I've read is that the increased tracking error combined with the shape of the elliptical stylus will wear records much faster. In fairness I've mainly read this on DJ forums so they may have different concerns from some one who is using the TT only for audiophile purposes.
If this is the case however, why do most modern audiophile tables all come with straight tonearms? Is there any validity to the claim that straight tonearms may be inferior for record wear, and reducing tracking error than s-shaped arms. It seems like many 70's and 80's audiophile tables did have the s-shaped arm.
Many people seem to believe that s-shaped tonearms are better for record wear, especially with an elliptical stylus, as the tracking error is higher on straight tonearms. The argument I've read is that the increased tracking error combined with the shape of the elliptical stylus will wear records much faster. In fairness I've mainly read this on DJ forums so they may have different concerns from some one who is using the TT only for audiophile purposes.
If this is the case however, why do most modern audiophile tables all come with straight tonearms? Is there any validity to the claim that straight tonearms may be inferior for record wear, and reducing tracking error than s-shaped arms. It seems like many 70's and 80's audiophile tables did have the s-shaped arm.