Nakamichi MusicBank CD Player 3 belt replacement

Allison3

The tray in mine has been sticking, so I figured to replace the belt(s). Got a replacement kit from eBay, which came with three, two larger ones of the same size, and a smaller one. When I opened up my unit though, I could only see one belt, on the right side of the tray transport. I replaced that, and the tray sticking is less frequent, but it still happens occasionally.

What did I miss??

Off eBay, from seller marrscommunications. $18.95. If you can figure out where the other two belts go, let me know! :D

Thanks, I'll check it out. As you know, there are three belts. I've had this sucker totally apart so I now know where they go, although I haven't figured out how to get the third one out yet. The tricky one is right in front of the drawer assembly, just below the drawer itself. There is a black plat with four screws (three in front, one on the side). When you take this plate off you'll see the motor that makes the laser assembly go up and down, there are a couple of gears there and the belt is at the bottom of the motor. I can't figure out how to get that one off without cutting it, and that would be a bad way to put the new one on!

The second is under the track assembly on the right side, just behind the pulley/gear with the cable on it. That's the one that I'm having trouble with, it slips and slides and won't take the drawer all the way out or push it all the way in. Sounds like that's the one you already replaced.

The last on is in the back underneath the assembly that holds all the discs. If you have the whole assembly out of the chassis, just turn it around and look in the back. This belt drives the gears that make the cartridge go up and down, and is very easy to get at too.

Hope that helps! I got the service manual at hifiengine.com, they have it for free download. It has pictures of all the assemblies, but almost no instructions or troubleshooting guides. Good luck!

:tresbon: Fab, thanks! It appears that I won't need to replace the other two belts, then (those functions are working flawlessly in my CDP3). And replacing the "second" belt did the job for me. It's not perfect, as I posted, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was before. I just wish I knew why it still sticks occasionally like it does.

Cool, good luck with it. I just ordered the belts from Mr Marrs and hopefully they will do the trick for my CDP3.

I believe that this is the same Musicbank system that McIntosh uses in the MCD7008 player. Check the McIntosh board .I think there is a thread there on how to replace these belts. :thmbsp:

Cool, good luck with it. I just ordered the belts from Mr Marrs and hopefully they will do the trick for my CDP3.

Wetland, do you know what does each belt do? It seems the 3rd one moves the magazine up and down, what about the other two?

Back
Top Bottom