How rare are my Pioneer CS-100's?

anthony28

Hello, I have a set of Pioneer CS-100 speakers and I seem to be the only person so far to have any on the net. This is the reason I ask, just how rare are these majestic Giants? They are 138 Lbs a piece, and have a 15" woofer, two 6" squawkers and a horn. They sound like no other pioneer I have ever owned. They are rosewood cabs with gold tweed-like screens with large pioneer emblems. They have consecutive serial numbers(CY-NGE-026 and CY-NGE-027). Were these the 26th and 27th on the production line? I know they were released in 1969. Does anyone else own a pair of these?
(Halogen lights make the pics look yellow)

DSCN1342.jpg

dscn1355.jpg

DSCN1364.jpg

DSCN1362.jpg

DSCN1358.jpg

dscn1352.jpg

DSCN1349.jpg

DSCN1348.jpg

DSCN1343.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings to ya!

Very nice equipment. What is the model # of the Marantz?

I am not familiar with those Pioneers & you may just be a one owner here on AK with them. I am sure someone will come along with more experience than I.

Zilch is a talented guy here, so he may just help you out.

Rome

Last edited:
Something tells me those speakers would work well with tubes...just a hunch...

Gorgeous speakers, and a rare piece of Japanese audio history from the looks of them! I'd love to hear a set...

I like the cover of Remain in Light in that last photo!!! One of my favorite songs of all time, The Great Curve, is on that disk.

A friend of mine let me test a Fisher 500c on them a few days ago and they were the perfect match! I think you are right about that B3Nut! The sound with the marantz is also superb. Something about those consecutive serial numbers tells me they didn't make a lot of these. Only three digit numbers? Hope someone can decode them.

Last edited:
Very nice! :yes: :thmbsp:

Found this website about Pioneer speakers

Some good info there. :yes:

I really like the CS-H9 speakers. :thmbsp:

Scott

Last edited:
Found this website about Pioneer speakers
Nice find! Thanks for posting.:thmbsp:

That woofer in the OP's CS-100's looks to have all the makings of something substantial, nothing shabby about the rest of the components either. I have a fetish for some of those "higher end" pioneer speaker offerings from the late 60's and very early 70's.:yes:

Yes...replace those old bipolar 'lytics with some good film caps, it'll do those speakers some good. Now I'm going to be keeping an eye out...these look yummy! :D

TP

Definitely tube material, even singled ended stuff if you don't have to have it too loud

Yes I try not to crank them to much with the solid state. The great thing about these is they produce a large full sound even at very low listening levels. They really came alive when that Fisher 500c I tried warmed up!

Yes...replace those old bipolar 'lytics with some good film caps, it'll do those speakers some good

Would'nt doing so effect the Collectibility or value? These sound phenomenal now, would I really hear a huge difference? :scratch2:

Would'nt doing so effect the Collectibility or value? These sound phenomenal now, would I really hear a huge difference? :scratch2:
That's debatable. If done very carefully, the originals could be saved and put back in later without anyone being the wiser, though. I can't imagine it not making a huge difference in a speaker this old, but you never know I guess.

If they sound fine.....leave them alone.......thats my 2c worth....

I have an old pair of Celestion Countys that i woulden't dream of swapping out the original caps.....because they sound fine...

Those Pioneer speakers are breathtaking......i would bet they are pretty rare......

Back
Top Bottom