• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A PL-630 just sold on eBay for nearly $1500

Tusec

Active Member
Item#250743941655

Sold for $1425 with 33 bids.

Does this strike anyone else as incredibly high, even given its superb condition? I seem to recall seeing them pretty regularly in the $200-$300 range as recently as a year or so ago.

It makes me wonder if used TT prices are going to jump when the economy starts coming back. What do you guys think -- is this an outlier or a leading indicator?
 
Register to hide this ad
As it's a value question, it's going to get moved to D&S anyway. Might as well include the eBay link so people can find it easier: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&_rdc=1&item=250743941655

I haven't quite figured out why Pioneer gear is getting so expensive. At that rate, a pristine Sony PS-8750 or PS-X70 should be running at $1000+, but they're not. I could see an Exclusive P3 going that high or higher, but it seems high for a 630.
 
It was a bidding war. Three bidders weren't going to let the others have it so it got crazy.

John
 
And whether or not it gets paid for remains to be seen.

1 bidder with 0 feedback and the winning bidder with 2 feedback. Not likely that this seller will see a dime. Possibly some shill bidding going on also.

I suppose I should also be doing :banana: because I have 3 of 'em!
 
Last edited:
These turntables seem to be going up in price. A nice one sold on ebay for just over $400 but add another $1000?? Seems foolish or inexperienced bidders at work on this one.
 
Yeah, I bet someone will not get paid for this. There will be some story of how the buyer was on vacation and the auto-bid thingy did not work right and it let the bid go above what they THOUGHT they were paying...blah blah blah. NO WAY is that table worth that kind of money. Sorry, but it's not... For that kind of money, you can get a DAMN good sounding Modern deck with a Modern cart!
 
I love mine to death it even has has a modern cart. Its been completely restored by fellow Ak'r Rich P.
I would put it up against any modern table with cart included at that price.
 
There is no way on earth. I'm happy for the seller, but that's ridiculous. This might be the classic case of sense vs. money.
 
Yeah, possibly an eggnog-fueled game of eBay chicken that got a little out of hand. That's life in the fast lane I guess.

Those PL-630s are some fine tables though. I've got a PL-600 whose purpose is mainly to tide me over until I can track down a PL-630.

Whoever won it will have an interesting time explaining his new purchase to the wife.
 
Last edited:
Well, the 2nd highest bidder has over 600 transactions to their name. If the winner bails out, the seller could give the other guy a 2nd chance bid. Trouble is, it got so heated at the end, he's probably like "whew" at the end and would rather just have another go at a fresh auction.
 
Yea, I saw this, Had it on the watch list and noticed later yesterday it was at about $660, or 680. and said holy crap then!....... an equally nice one sold just prior (days) for under $400. looked mint, one owner.....I would've but i cant.
 
Last week a PSX800 Biotracer went for $2500, only to be relisted and sold for $1000 a couple of days later. An LT-30 with a B+O 20en went for $1200. I'd been keeping an eye out for a nice linear tracker and the prices do seem up recently. Maybe it's the holidays where more people have time to comb listings for this stuff. Heck, even a SL-10 got close to $300.
 
I would have thought maybe 1/3 that price at the most, and only with the original box and packing which I didn't see mention of in the listing. I'd almost bet money that either the "winning" buyer defaults, or it gets ruined in shipping.
 
I love a good bidding war.....when I'm selling.:yes: Problem is....I don't think I've ever had one.:no: Maybe this next year?:smoke:
 
ive bought from this seller before. he seems to have an endless supply of vintage gear, professional pics, and generally his items are in pristine shape. i dont know where he gets it or how, but he often receives 2-3-4x what the same items will sell for under another seller. i think its his pictures and rep that give him enormous leverage. but the prices he gets on his stuff can get out of control and has had me puzzled for some time as well.
 
I have seen this and was stunned too. I agree fully with "sculptura" and would add that strong reputation and good packaging is especially important with turntables.
 
Wow! :scractch2:... I wonder what that would make my PL-C590 worth? :D

I also suspect that this one might not be paid, and might end up being re-listed.

However, the OP still raised a good question that remains unanswered: even if this is an "outlier," above the current market value for such a TT, is this also a harbinger of things to come? I haven't been tracking prices in any rigorous way, but it does seem that there is a gradually increasing number of higher-priced sales of vintage TTs, or maybe we just notice these "outliers" more, and there is no trend overall.
Is the TT market on a clear upward swing, or is it just a few bidding wars or shill bidding giving a false impression? Is it a good time to be hoarding TTs against future further increases, or to be selling them into a price trend bubble? Since some of us here have piles of vintage TTs, it's a question worth thinking about. I don't plan to sell my best/favorite TTs, but I do plan to further trim the pile, so it's a question I'd love to know the answer to (Yeah, who doesn't want a crystal ball? :D).
 
I would guess that perhaps someone got too much cash for Christmas and got wrapped up in the whirlwind of the bid.

Maybe some of this wild spending will taper off after the holidays. Most people will be back at work and the younger generation can get back to classes, giving them something else to do with their time.

The seller did an excellent job of getting some professional pictures and making a good presentation of his TT, and he was lucky.
 
I would say it's probably in the top two of Pioneer's tables that were available in the US market. It has a superb suspension and arm and can keep up with tables that usually sell for much more. Maybe not quite worth what this auction went for but still a great table.
 
Back
Top Bottom