Top Three Vintage Receivers of All Time

vintagestereo

Addicted Member
OK....let's get right down to it. What are your top 3 Vintage Receivers of all time? They can be your favorites because of how the sound, how they look, how much or how little they cost, how much they weigh and/or how reliably they perform, among other things! BUT, YOU MUST HAVE OWNED THEM AND THEY MUST BE YOUR FAVORITES.

For the sake of dsicussion, I'm going to define "vintage" as "pre-1981". And I'm going to define a "Receiver" as an all in one unit that is designed to function as one piece integrated into a single form factor.

Here are mine:

Concept 16.5: Meets or exceeds every expectation. Defines BRUTE FORCE.
Rotel RX-1603: Sometimes, I just sit and stare at it. MARVELOUS MASSIVE
Marantz 2325: Does any Receiver REALLY sound much better? DOUBT IT!

Let's see what's on your list.......

Last edited:
Mine are

Pioneer SX1080
Marantz 2325
Sherwood S9910

The real suprise is the Sherwood. A great 100wpc receiver :thmbsp: .

Riley

OK, I'll go with the Concept 16.5, followed by the Pioneer SX-5590/1250, and at the same level as the Pioneer, the Onkyo TX-8500 Mk II. The Sansui G-9700 would be in the mix, too.

bully said:
OK, I'll go with the Concept 16.5, followed by the Pioneer SX-5590/1250, and at the same level as the Pioneer, the Onkyo TX-8500 Mk II. The Sansui G-9700 would be in the mix, too.

Bully -- You get only 3.....so you have to be VERY judicious about who to eliminate. What are your 3 FAVORITES?

Since Ive only “owned”one on my top three list
I wont list the others.

Pioneer SX-1250
Reasons,
1 Build quality “They went all out to make sure that
the amp more than adequately heat sinked. Also they
did a very good job to make sure that the tuner and
preamp section was well shielded. They also did
a good job to make that the power supply was more
than adequate to handle the job. They actually used
the same size power supply caps as used in the SX1980.”
2 looks
3 amplifier performance
4 tuner performance
5 features and flexibility “given the time period”

Sansui QRX 7500- has a pretty decent tuner and a nice pleasant sound to it. ALso is nice looking and well laid out control wise.
Pioneer 950- Adequate power, quality build, warm smooth sound and easy to look at.
Fisher 500T- It's what I started with and always liked the sound of it and the way it looks.

Geeez.
I want to say Sansui G9000.....but since I don't own one I'll have to say my Sansui G7500....I bought this unit original back in the late 70's (79?)....she still looks & sounds as great as the day I brought her home all those years ago.

Russ

Best Receiver(s)

SX1250 (first one in 76') Still runnig strong
SX1250 (second in 04')
SX1080 (sold in 76' when SX1250 was offered)

Last edited:
Well I have not had many but here are my personal favorites -

1) McIntosh MAC4100: what a beauty! I know that this is a strong statement, but this has got to be the best buy in hifi. Great amp, great tuner, sweet five band equalizer, good headphone jack, and a respectable phono stage.
2) Sansui TA-500: my first piece of audio equipment. I wish I still had my old friend now
3) Kenwood KR-2090: seriously underated for price and power. Perfect dorm room model

Last edited:
Sanyo DCX8000k - Was my fathers and I ran this to the ground when I was growing up and after a few little repairs its still as good as new.

Pioneer SX-737 - One hell of a beefy little 35 watts per channel....yeah right.

Akai AA1200 - Cause it works perfect and I didn't know what I had till I asked for a little info and found out it was the top of the line Akai.

As of right now
Marantz model 18
Tandberg TR 1055
Optonica SA 5601
Tha marantz Just because it is superb at everything, the Tandberg is outstanding and the only receiver I have that I will not put up against the marantz only because I do not want to choose it over the model 18, and the optonica due to it being my very first purchase so many years ago and it still has the balls to step to the plate with most anything out there.

Pioneer SX-1250 Lexus like build, hot tuner, classic.

Pioneer SX-1280 A bit less build quality than the SX-1250, still high performance, actually better looking than the SX-1250, a bit more refined looking, nice contrast with the power meters.

Marantz 2285B one of Marantz's best looking, really gorgeous, enough power for most situations. Good tuner too. Looks much better than the 2325

Hi all,

Ummmm...well...presently...I have to say...my number one Receiver is my $5.00 yard sale find...a ALLIED 333 Tube Receiver just because it sound soooo darn good with my JBL 4311B's. After that...my HK 730 DUAL POWER Receiver and/or...my SANSUI QRX 7001 with my PIONEER HPM 100's. From the loooong past...my MARANTZ 2250 (with KLIPSCH HERESYS).

Regards,
SixCats!

VintageNut said:
Marantz 2285B one of Marantz's best looking, really gorgeous, enough power for most situations. Good tuner too. Looks much better than the 2325

Be careful there, VintageNut! :boxing:

The Marantz 2325 is an awesome performer, I just like the looks of the 2285B better. Beauty is only faceplate deep, you gotta have the guts to back it up with, and they both have the guts. ......

so many junk stuff, little time to listen
1. Nikko nr-815 everyday usedw/matching speaker (pioneerHPM-900)
2.PIOneer sx-1080- game room usedw/matching speaker (Genesis model 320)
3.marantz 2216 kids roomw/matching speaker (Polk audio monitor 4.6)

Back
Top Bottom