Juicy Music Blueberry

Punker X

Staff member
Subscriber
I had the pleasure of an extended demo of a Juicy Music Blueberry. Not much on describing what I hear. I just know what I like and what I don’t.

I normally use an upgraded vintage solid state pre-amp and a Cadillac of one at that. So I’m use to tone controls and tons of options.

This is going to be a positive review, however things that I didn’t like will be discussed first, because they became apparent before I even turned on the Blueberry. The blue, burgundy and orange faceplate throw many people off, but when hooked up with the system and there for a couple days it starts to grow on you. I would suggest a special addition Blackberry, just replace the blue with black. I think they would be more aesthetically pleasing to many buyers and better match more systems.

Connecting it to my system I ran across a few more things that I didn’t like. The RCA jacks are soldered directly to the circuit board. I think this would be fine for the guy that is going to hook it up and just use it. But if you are the type of guy that is always making changes to your system i.e. changing cables and components I could see problems with solder connections developing. I would much rather see the connections on a metal plate with more support. The connections are laid out horizontally with the labeling above. It was hard stretching behind the rack trying to make connections to right set of jacks. Add to that, the left channel is on the right side and right on the left makes for a bit of confusion and double-checking your connections

The last thing I didn’t like (I promise) was the ground connection. It’s a threaded post with a nylon lock nut on the end, several lock washers and nuts. This made very difficult to connect the ground connection of my turntable. A wing nut or 5-way post would be far easier to use.

As I said I use to a Cadillac type of pre-amp, I gotta love the Blueberry for having 2 phono stages when most new pre-amps don’t have any. Any vinyl junky has more than one turntable hooked up to their system. Add a tape loop and 4 line inputs this pre-amp can accommodate just about anyone’s set up.

The Blueberry has a standby switch that keeps the tube nice and warm when not in use. A very nice option.

I first hooked up a pair of VTL MD-100’s, which are bit underpowered for my speakers and had to use tone controls with my pre-amp to get the sound I like. It was a very nice match and sounded nice a full. Once I hooked up a solid-state amp to power the 12” woofer through an active crossover I was able to get very good volume levels without bass getting flabby.

Played some CD’s, which I usually find fatiguing and give me a headache if I listen for any length of time. I’ve tried different tube setups trying to take the edge off of CD’s before, but ended up losing some of the detail. Not with the Blueberry, I found myself getting very involved and cranking up the volume, when I normally only use CD’s for background music.

Time to spin some vinyl, here’s where the Blueberry really shines. It matched up well with my Benz Ebony H. Surface noise and pops and clicks weren’t distracting, while maintaining good top end and detail, very accurate mid-range and fast full bottom-end. For the price of the Blueberry you get a full pre-amp with two phono inputs that sound as good as phono amps in the same price range.

Additionally you get a hand built unit with very personalized service. Nothing but the highest quality parts are used. If the cosmetics were more mainstream this pre-amp would sell for twice the price. It’s a fine piece and would be a proud addition to anyone’s system.

Yeah.. ..I thought of the face colors also... i think they went for instant recognition over aesthetics...I wonder though the price is the same as a McIntosh C22/2000 or similar vinatge tube pre's.....You think it kicks them in the ground?

Really can't comment on too many vintage tube pre's, however, figure additional money on top of the purchase price for new tubes and caps. The one Mac tube pre I heard wasn't updated at all and really didn't care for it. Sorry can't remember the model.

X

Last edited:
This preamp has received a HUGE welcome over on the Klipsch forum. The "gear wars" can get pretty heated on the 2 channel section of that forum, but this preamp is universally accepted as awesome by those who own, and have heard the unit. The most consistently appreciated and positively reviewed unit on the Klipsch forum - and that says A LOT. They are quite tough on gear over there, and for good reason - Klipsch speakers are ruthlessly revealing. Feed 'em good gear, they sound great.

It is touted as being a unit that sounds 3 times as expensive. And it should sound expensive - this preamp uses KILLER PARTS. Since it is direct/internet based marketing, the purchaser gets much more for the $$$...but it sure has survived the initial offering with aplomb, as those who hear it seem to buy it. If a unit sucks, the web will have it's way with it. I've seen no such occurrences with this (or the other units offered by JuicyMusic, for that matter). Simple, great sounding components made with quality parts......sounds like a formula for success.

My only complaint is that damned faceplate. Mark needs to offer optional plates (like black with gold lettering) for an alternative look. I can appreciate wanting the signature look, but it's dreadful to my (and my wife's) eyes.....it looks like it could have come from Apple Computer's IMac line.

But if you can get past the faceplate, the Blueberry sonically is touted as wonderful. I have yet to hear it, but too many trusted ears that I know on the Klipsch forum are impressed. I believe that a return policy is offered on this - but very few seem to do so.

The Blueberry is most definitely on my "want to hear" list.

Last edited:
If anyone has comments on the cream option, I'd love to hear them. I'm pondering a LO cart in my future but have been hesitant in part because of the step up challenges involved.

Styler is waiting on his that has the "Cream" option....

Man, its tempting...but i would have to sell 3/4 of my gear...i will be patient.

my blueberry

mine has the Cream Option (LOMC).... wanna borrow it Jack or Dingus? if you do, mail me your pre so i have something i can use, then I'll ship you my BB. :D seriously. i'll loan it out but its the only pre i have right now (Jack got my other).
Tyler

Last edited:
very interesting, but no for the moment....I dont want to be tempted to have to sell to buy it....If my local coaching business picks up..I am game...

I emailed them and said that they would have a returned demo unit on tuesday for 1500 bucks...:)

If i sold the C32 and the Berning pre..that would cover it... :scratch2:

Tyler,

Thanks for the offer and in time I may indeed take you up on it. We are looking to purchase our first home and I really want to get that out of the way before I seriously consider the BB or anything else.

Brad

DingusBoy said:
If anyone has comments on the cream option, I'd love to hear them. I'm pondering a LO cart in my future but have been hesitant in part because of the step up challenges involved.
Keep in mind I've got some transformers that might aid you there. Haven't tried it myself, but I have some parts that are supposed to do the trick.

i have the cream

i have the cream and love it. if you buy the BB and have a specific cart in mind, Mark will build it specifically to suit your needs. i use a low output benz, 0.3mV and it sounds great!
:thmbsp:

tubino said:
Keep in mind I've got some transformers that might aid you there. Haven't tried it myself, but I have some parts that are supposed to do the trick.

That would establish the comparision model. :thmbsp: Step-up the Seduction.

I am intrigued by all the good things said about the Shelter 501 as a way to spend too much money on something very small. Of course the Benz line also is interesting.

A-B-ing Benz and Shelter

did you get a chance to hear us test the Benz vs. the Shelter at the Fest? quite different... About half thought the benz sounded better mostly because of bass and "blooming a bit better." however the Shelter only had 3-4 hours on it, and still at least half preferred the shelter (its 300 dollars less). i was planning on upgrading my Benz, but now plan to get the Shelter... I fell in love with it, the more playing time it received, the more the bass came out. great carts and cheaper!

Punker-X
Thanks for your comments regarding the BlueBerry preamp. I thought I'd toss a few thoughts in here in the nature of a reply.

RCA JACKS - Well, they're tougher than they look. Yes, if you plug in a huge cable and yank the preamp by the cable, you can damage the jacks. The question is why did we do this? There are three reasons; Directly soldering the connectors to the board eliminates all chance of wiring errors. With 18 connectors, you can't imagine how common a problem that is to have a reversed jack. A direct-connect to the PCB is a superior electrical connection compared to wire with 2 solder joints. And last, one of the strategies we employ to offer units with BETTER parts than competitors is to keep the labor content low. Wiring 18 jacks neatly, correctly takes about an hour. Soldering the jacks to the board takes 5 minutes. That translates into $25 I can spend on better parts.

And, actually there is one more reason. A key design goal I always have is "maintainability." The entire PCB can be removed from a BlueBerry in about 5 minutes. Repairs or replacements of any kind can be accomplished easily by any technician - even if he has never laid eyes on a BlueBerry.

The jack orientation - Left V. Right is oriented as looking FROM the back of the unit. This does confuse people who bend over the top from the front. Sorry it's "your other left!"

The whimiscal color scheme. Well, yes, the BlueBerry is different in this respect than just about anything I've seen, or am likely to see. Frankly, after being in the business 30-some years, I'm just bored to tears with black sheet metal boxes. I designed my first Giant Black Box of Knobs back in 1974 (the Paragon 12A). Designers of anything just get tired of the same thing. Sometimes I think the audio business is slower to evolve than even the housing business which is still stuck in the 18th century. But, of course, this is personal taste, and I never expected 'everyone' to buy into mine. The BlueBerry DID get noticed (even negatively) in a sea of me-too black, and that's a good thing. But who knows? In the future we may offer more mainstream products too.

Of course, all that is inconsequential to the sound, which we have always believed is special and represents a very good value because you have to start spending $5 grand before finding preamps that sound comparable. And hey, my customers tell me the burgandy and blue does "grow" on you after a while!

Thanks again, for the nice comments and the critical ones as well. We take all the input seriously.
Sincerely,
Mark Deneen
JuicyMusic

Mark,
Since this review has kind of evolved into a question and answer type of comment thread, I was wondering if the peach colored swoosh is representative of an audio taper pot? I can't say that the logo really floats my boat but it doesn't put me off either. I have found that the graphics usually have some meaning behind them and since this is audio.......etc.

Audio styling

Quoted by Mark:

"The whimiscal color scheme. Well, yes, the BlueBerry is different in this respect than just about anything I've seen, or am likely to see. Frankly, after being in the business 30-some years, I'm just bored to tears with black sheet metal boxes. I designed my first Giant Black Box of Knobs back in 1974 (the Paragon 12A). Designers of anything just get tired of the same thing. Sometimes I think the audio business is slower to evolve than even the housing business which is still stuck in the 18th century. But, of course, this is personal taste, and I never expected 'everyone' to buy into mine. The BlueBerry DID get noticed (even negatively) in a sea of me-too black, and that's a good thing. But who knows? In the future we may offer more mainstream products"

All I can say is the cosmetic design of a piece of audio gear is less important to me than how it works.
But then my friends come over and are awed by the sound of my system. If they commented on how cute it was, I would probably throw it through the window.
But then again, I am a "jeans and flannel" type of guy who doesn't concern myself with style as a priority, must be my Cleveland upbringing!!! LOL !!!

Am I the only "cave-man" here?????

Ron

Thatch--
Actually, the full color logo swoosh is an LP spinning. The small purple dot in the center of the swoosh being the spindle hole. Abstractly, of course.
JM

Back
Top Bottom