KR-5200 found at Goodwill

speidi1

Mike in AZ
$20. Very nice cosmetic and operational condition. My first vintage Kenwood.

Attachments

• KR-5200 front.jpg
    KR-5200 front.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 307
  • KR-5200 top.jpg
    KR-5200 top.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 172
No listing in Orion, but probably around 20 wpc. Looks like it is from the mid-70s. Should be a nice little guy.

looks a lot like my KR-4140. In fact it has the same style of cover as that, with the metal grill on top. You case looks like it is in pretty nice condition. I would say early 70s.

Last edited:
I had the KR-6200, which IIRC was 45 wpc. It was good-looking (just like yours) and sounded really nice, too. I'm sure you'll like the sound!

Sweet looker. I have a 4200 with manual. States 38W RMS--19wpc into 8 ohms. So you must be pumping a little more (think they're underrated anyway). Have the warranty card but can't find any mfr dates. Mine came with some KLH 32's and is a tight sounding little unit.

Holy cow. I found the owner's manual on the web. 30 wpc/20 to 20/8 ohms/0.5% distortion.

2 tape and 2(!) aux.

nice!

I have a KR-7200 found under similar circumstances! Very nice. Does it have the engraved lettering as well? I was also surprised that the front panel is a solid alloy casting. I'm so used to fake chrome trim over molded plastic that when you see real chrome over real metal you sorta do a double take. The 7200 has a nice 4 gang tuner and is 55 wpc. I've been looking to see if there was ever an 8200 or 9200, but I can't find anything. I think this is a real overlooked lineup in the Kenwood ranks, but also not very common.

Where did you find the owners manual on the web?

Mine says 33/33 Watts at 4 ohms. Mine has 2 phono, 1 aux, 1 tape. One of the Phono also doubles as a mic input. This particular phono is a little noiser than the other one.

I've replaced all the filter caps, and capacitors on the amplifier section. Unfortunately the tuner section isn't working, so I have that disconnected. Eventually I will get the tuner up and running again. I've replaced all the ceramics with film caps and the jump in sound quality was very impressive. I am using it right now to drive a pair of NHT II floor speakers. Before the modifications/recapping, the lights on this unit kept dimming when the bass would kick in, when attached to these particular speakers. Now it has no problem keeping up.

Does anyone have the service manual for the KR-5200? I thought I'd ask before I buy it. Mine was a freebie and seems to work ok, but I'm going to do a recap anyway. I figure it will be good practice for redoing my Fishers.

packrat said:
I have a KR-7200 found under similar circumstances! Very nice. Does it have the engraved lettering as well? I was also surprised that the front panel is a solid alloy casting. I'm so used to fake chrome trim over molded plastic that when you see real chrome over real metal you sorta do a double take. The 7200 has a nice 4 gang tuner and is 55 wpc. I've been looking to see if there was ever an 8200 or 9200, but I can't find anything. I think this is a real overlooked lineup in the Kenwood ranks, but also not very common.

Where did you find the owners manual on the web?

ftp://docs.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/

The lettering IS engraved.

Last edited:
Here is the schematic for KR-5200, while not the complete service manual, it will at least give you a decent view of things. Plus it is another freebie for you :thmbsp: The above link contains only the instructions manual.

http://www.freewebtown.com/rulerboyzz/kenwood_ampli_kr5200.gif

In fact you should find that this Kenwood is relatively easy to recap because of the fact that you don't have to do any extreme disassembling in order to get access to the bottom of the main circuit board. Also the type of PCB board and soldering used seems to make it relatively friendly in terms of ease of removal and replacement of caps.

I used mouser as my supply of caps. For electrolytics, I used low ESR or low impedance 105 degree caps (zicon and nichicon), for large film caps I used vishay sprague orange drops, for smaller film and ceramics I used AVX multilayer film or mica caps. You might prefer to just recap the electrolytics.

Last edited:
FWIW (and appropos of almost nothing) here's a photo of my KR-4200. This was a dump find.

Attachments

• kr4200 front.jpg
    kr4200 front.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 268
  • kr4200 insides 2.jpg
    kr4200 insides 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Hey ,i too picked up a Kenwood 5200 exactly like yours for $20.00 today @ the SA.....My first Kenwood. Nice case, but the power button is sticky but that should vanish with some cleaning.
What should i use to clean it?? and how do you clean the push button switches?

Also picked up a super clean Hitachi SR-804 for free...on craigslist, but i HAD to take the sony bookshelves and sansui 40c's as well:rolleyes:
Been listen to the hitachi all week...it is one powerful amp!!
Can't wait to try the "kenwood-y":music:

Back
Top Bottom