Want REALLY fresh coffee?

pmsummer

simul justus et peccator
I've just discovered you can roast your own beans using a hot-air popcorn-popper (certain models only) in 4 to 8 minutes. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now, and the results are great! :yes:

Ayup that method is great. Also, make sure you have a decent burr grinder. I quit drinking coffee because it was cutting into my audio budget. Yerba mate is so much cheaper. All you need is a mate, bombilla and some yerba. Yerba is only $5.19/kg at the store up in Phoenix. MUCH cheaper than coffee.

409px-Mate_03_calabaza.jpg

Can you get a travel-mate for commuting?

I drink Yerba Mate, Coffee, chai, and a variety of teas.

Thanks for the excelent tip on roasting your own coffee beans, PM.

For people interested in Mate (an aquired taste), read this, culled from Wikipedia...

Yerba mate ... is a species of holly ... native to ... South America.... The infusion called mate is prepared by steeping the dried leaves in hot water rather than boiling water like tea or coffee. It is slightly less potent than coffee and much gentler on the stomach. Drinking mate with friends from a shared hollow gourd (also called a mate...) with a metal straw (a bombilla...) is an extremely common social practice... (south america)....

The flavor of brewed yerba mate is strongly vegetal, herbal, and grassy, reminiscent of some varieties of green tea, though the flavor is much stronger than green tea can achieve. Many consider the flavor to be very agreeable, however, it is generally bitter if steeped in water at boiling point and is traditionally made using boiling water combined with a little cold water.

Unlike most teas, it does not become bitter and astringent when steeped for extended periods, and the leaves may be infused several times. Additionally, one can purchase flavored mate, in orange, raspberry, strong, and gentle flavorings.
In Brazil, a toasted version of mate, known as chá mate or "mate tea", is sold in teabag and loose form, and served, sweetened, in specialized shops, either hot or iced with fruit juice or milk. An iced, sweetened version of toasted mate is sold as an uncarbonated soft drink, with or without fruit flavoring. The toasted variety of mate has less of a bitter flavor and more of a spicy fragrance. It is more popular in the coastal cities of Brazil, as opposed to the far southern states where it is consumed in the traditional way...

The yerba mate plant is a shrub or small tree growing up to 15 meters tall. The leaves are evergreen, 7–11 cm long and 3–5.5 cm wide, with a serrated margin. The flowers are small, greenish-white, with four petals. The fruit is a red berry 4–6 mm diameter.

Back
Top Bottom