1967 JVC Nivico 5010 Receiver

birchoak

Hi-Fi Nut
1967 JVC 5010
16 watts RMS (8 Ω)

After reading many amp reviews at select45rpm.com, curiosity overwhelmed common sense and I purchased a filthy, neglected 14 watt JVC-Nivico 5010 receiver from a PA pawnshop. The 5010 looks like a Reader’s Digest reward for renewing your subscription, or something you'd find at the dump. The graphic equalizer practically shouts, “Keep walking,” and the anemic PRE/MAIN jumpers and awkward screw posts complete the bad impression. Mine had bent control shafts, a missing knob, and the interior was caked with so much dust I dubbed it the Lost City of Nivicolopolis.

IMG_2470.jpg

I donned a respirator, then exfoliated the interior with a soft paint brush and a hepa vac, unearthing an ancient electronic civilization. I flooded controls with CRC & Deoxit. Compressed air removed stubborn specks. While the face plate was off I cleaned it with warm, soapy water, then polished the rear RCA jacks as best I could (I load up an old male RCA plug with toothpaste and twist it off and on a bunch of times. At the very least, the jacks now have minty fresh breath).

After powering up via DBT, I took a deep breath and tried the little guy out on my crappy 8 ohm test speakers.

What the what?! No static, no scratchiness, no hum, no smoke or flames. I did not expect a successful launch, given the age, condition, and conspicuous neglect. All the lights worked and FM came in clean and strong without an antenna, in the basement. Playing a random CD through AUX was the next surprise: powerful, clean sound—about as good as any receiver I have ever heard--through tiny test speakers.

Ok, says I, let's see what this little guy does with these slightly less crappy 3-way Layfayette speakers I pulled out of a dumpster last year.

Oh my. Oh. My. How is this ugly, under-powered 52 year old receiver putting out this kind of sound? This is like Elmer Fudd dead-lifting 500 lbs with a hangover. This does not make sense.

All right, onto some home-brew 4 ohm speakers not all that much better than the crappy test speakers and never good with bass.

Lord, how is that much bass coming out of these? What the what?

A day elapsed, and I found I couldn't sleep until I'd introduced the senior citizen to a large pair of ADS L620s, well-made, efficient speakers that encourage even the wimpiest amplifier to go on a sonic rampage. The best match I'd found for them so far was a Scott 380R, a massive thing in comparison, Frankenstein's monster vs. Pee Wee Herman.

After some tedious soldering to make up new speaker wires for the JVC's screw terminals (12 gauge Monoprice--I happen to have a lot of it), I heaved the Scott off the dresser and replaced it with the JVC. FM sounded good, but nothing to write home about. Plus, I was already home. Then I hooked up the laptop. On a whim, I played "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies (it's actually one guy who sings it, even the lyrics that sound like a girl). "Sugar Sugar" tends to sounds only so good, on any system, due to the technical limitations at the time it was recorded, but it sounded the best it's ever sounded with the JVC. Next up, "Man with the Hex," by the Atomic Fireballs. This is a modern recording, with husky, shouted vocals leading up to a punishing drum beat that leaves no doubt as to whether your amp is up to the task of replicating dynamic passages.

Holy. Mother. Of. God. This 52 year old receiver (multiply by 3 for human years) spanked those L620s until their 10 inch woofers were positively rosy. The JVC kicked ass and took names. It blew the Scott out of the water, at least at moderate listening levels. There was no need to turn up the JVC much past 7 o'clock, such was the wall of sound presented at normal volume. The Scott outruns it at top volume, but it needs all of its 85 watts (including a pair of massive filter caps, brand-new Nichicon Gold Tunes) to master the JVC.

"Man with a Hex" segues into a bunch of Badly Drawn Boy songs, which are superbly recorded and offer equally impressive dynamics. The music is extremely diverse, with all kinds of percussion, beats, and acoustic parlor tricks to please the ear and challenge the fidelity of your hi-fi system.

In 34 years of listening to and owning many different amplifiers and receivers, including a Luxman R-117, a Pioneer SX-980, a Harman Kardon A-300 tube amp, a Marantz 2230, a Yamaha CR-800, a Sansui 800, a Proton D1200, and others, only three other classic, low-wattage receivers have impressed me as much with their sound: the Sherwood S-7100A, the Sansui 800, and the Concept 2.0. Yes, it's possible that some of those receivers may have needed recapping, bias adjustments, etc., and evaluating something as subjective and fleeting as sound is fraught with peril, but I cannot stop listening to this wonderful ugly duckling.

Wide shot of the interior. There is literally nothing in there to explain the sound that comes out. No TO-3 output devices. No big output caps. The power supply dates back to the Paleozoic Era. There are some tiny power transistors -- smaller than beans (but magic beans!) -- strapped to a heat sink the size of a playing card. If folks are interested, I will post recent pics of the orphan, cleaned and somewhat presentable.

IMG_2466.jpg

I googled the image of this receiver and surprise surprise - it’s the exact same one my friend grew up with. I think he might still have it in the attic or a closet somewhere. His parents bought it new when he was a kid and he still had it about 10 years ago. It sounded awful through the cheap full range Nivico speakers that came with it, plus it had a very poor quality Nivico branded BSR mini-changer that came along with it. I never even thought the receiver part of it could be any good, I guess maybe the crummy speakers were holding it back. It looked (and sounded) like something you’d find at Woolworths, I’ll have to ask him if he’s still got it somewhere in the house. Guess ya never know!

I googled the image of this receiver and surprise surprise - it’s the exact same one my friend grew up with. I think he might still have it in the attic or a closet somewhere. His parents bought it new when he was a kid and he still had it about 10 years ago. It sounded awful through the cheap full range Nivico speakers that came with it, plus it had a very poor quality Nivico branded BSR mini-changer that came along with it. I never even thought the receiver part of it could be any good, I guess maybe the crummy speakers were holding it back. It looked (and sounded) like something you’d find at Woolworths, I’ll have to ask him if he’s still got it somewhere in the house. Guess ya never know!

Track it down and give it a try! We need to save the good ones, even if they don't look the part.

What are the output transistors? Are they all NPN and therefore quasi-comp design?

I spy two big electrolytic caps just before the output transistors, so I'd guess a cap-coupled design?

Low wattage, all discrete components, quasi-complimentary and cap-coupled is why the HK 330A/B and Pioneer SX-626 sound so good. Im guessing your Nivico follows that same design and has the same sound character.

I would say it a bit differently; the cap-coupled quasi-comp design is what makes those receivers sound like they do. Whether it sounds good or not is in the ear of the beholder!

Last edited:
What are the output transistors? Are they all NPN and therefore quasi-comp design?

I spy two big electrolytic caps just before the output transistors, so I'd guess a cap-coupled design?

Low wattage, all discrete components, quasi-complimentary and cap-coupled is why the HK 330A/B and Pioneer SX-626 sound so good. Im guessing your Nivico follows that same design and has the same sound character.

Yes, it is cap-coupled, but those caps are tiny, only 470uF! I did not know the HK 330A/B were CC, nor the 626. I will have to take a closer look at them as I am quickly falling for CC designs.

Those act only to block DC...they are not part of the power supply. The single, larger cap serves to supplement the single rail power supply

Last edited:
And the looks are growing on me. It's got a spartan, Motorola police radio thing going on. I just love how simple it is and cannot get over how much it does with so little. Yes, the Scott 380R is impressive looking and has every switch, meter, and dial known to man, but this is a working man's true-blue companion (I can say that; I'm a carpenter), and much easier to work on. Best of all, it survived the ultimate test of any receiver's durability: a recap by me!

Wow. One day later, and its been recapped.

I am always missing at least one component when I undertake a restoration, so can never get done in one day. Impressive.

Wow. One day later, and its been recapped.

I am always missing at least one component when I undertake a restoration, so can never get done in one day. Impressive.

Oh no, you misunderstand and I obfuscate: I did the power supply when I first got it, a few months ago. It sounded good enough (lived up to select45rpm.com's hype) that I ordered caps. While I was waiting for those to arrive I did the output caps as I happened to have some already. Then, I'm pretty sure I didn't order enough caps or got something wrong and had to re-order. I will say this, Mouser is a great company and even when I use "economy" shipping I get the package in about three business days.

Nivico BLA-500 i have the speakers for your receiver
file.php

1967 JVC 5010
16 watts RMS (8 Ω)

After reading many amp reviews at select45rpm.com, curiosity overwhelmed common sense and I purchased a filthy, neglected 14 watt JVC-Nivico 5010 receiver from a PA pawnshop. The 5010 looks like a Reader’s Digest reward for renewing your subscription, or something you'd find at the dump. The graphic equalizer practically shouts, “Keep walking,” and the anemic PRE/MAIN jumpers and awkward screw posts complete the bad impression. Mine had bent control shafts, a missing knob, and the interior was caked with so much dust I dubbed it the Lost City of Nivicolopolis.

View attachment 1453696

I donned a respirator, then exfoliated the interior with a soft paint brush and a hepa vac, unearthing an ancient electronic civilization. I flooded controls with CRC & Deoxit. Compressed air removed stubborn specks. While the face plate was off I cleaned it with warm, soapy water, then polished the rear RCA jacks as best I could (I load up an old male RCA plug with toothpaste and twist it off and on a bunch of times. At the very least, the jacks now have minty fresh breath).

After powering up via DBT, I took a deep breath and tried the little guy out on my crappy 8 ohm test speakers.

What the what?! No static, no scratchiness, no hum, no smoke or flames. I did not expect a successful launch, given the age, condition, and conspicuous neglect. All the lights worked and FM came in clean and strong without an antenna, in the basement. Playing a random CD through AUX was the next surprise: powerful, clean sound—about as good as any receiver I have ever heard--through tiny test speakers.

Ok, says I, let's see what this little guy does with these slightly less crappy 3-way Layfayette speakers I pulled out of a dumpster last year.

Oh my. Oh. My. How is this ugly, under-powered 52 year old receiver putting out this kind of sound? This is like Elmer Fudd dead-lifting 500 lbs with a hangover. This does not make sense.

All right, onto some home-brew 4 ohm speakers not all that much better than the crappy test speakers and never good with bass.

A day elapsed, and I found I couldn't sleep until I'd introduced the senior citizen to a large pair of ADS L620s, well-made, efficient speakers that encourage even the wimpiest amplifier to go on a sonic rampage. The best match I'd found for them so far was a Scott 380R, a massive thing in comparison, Frankenstein's monster vs. Pee Wee Herman.

After some tedious soldering to make up new speaker wires for the JVC's screw terminals (12 gauge Monoprice--I happen to have a lot of it), I heaved the Scott off the dresser and replaced it with the JVC. FM sounded good, but nothing to write home about. Plus, I was already home. Then I hooked up the laptop. On a whim, I played "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies (it's actually one guy who sings it, even the lyrics that sound like a girl). "Sugar Sugar" tends to sounds only so good, on any system, due to the technical limitations at the time it was recorded, but it sounded the best it's ever sounded with the JVC. Next up, "Man with the Hex," by the Atomic Fireballs. This is a modern recording, with husky, shouted vocals leading up to a punishing drum beat that leaves no doubt as to whether your amp is up to the task of replicating dynamic passages.

Holy. Mother. Of. God. This 52 year old receiver (multiply by 3 for human years) spanked those L620s until their 10 inch woofers were positively rosy. The JVC kicked ass and took names. It blew the Scott out of the water, at least at moderate listening levels. There was no need to turn up the JVC much past 7 o'clock, such was the wall of sound presented at normal volume. The Scott outruns it at top volume, but it needs all of its 85 watts (including a pair of massive filter caps, brand-new Nichicon Gold Tunes) to master the JVC.

"Man with a Hex" segues into a bunch of Badly Drawn Boy songs, which are superbly recorded and offer equally impressive dynamics. The music is extremely diverse, with all kinds of percussion, beats, and acoustic parlor tricks to please the ear and challenge the fidelity of your hi-fi system.

In 34 years of listening to and owning many different amplifiers and receivers, including a Luxman R-117, a Pioneer SX-980, a Harman Kardon A-300 tube amp, a Marantz 2230, a Yamaha CR-800, a Sansui 800, a Proton D1200, and others, only three other classic, low-wattage receivers have impressed me as much with their sound: the Sherwood S-7100A, the Sansui 800, and the Concept 2.0. Yes, it's possible that some of those receivers may have needed recapping, bias adjustments, etc., and evaluating something as subjective and fleeting as sound is fraught with peril, but I cannot stop listening to this wonderful ugly duckling.

Wide shot of the interior. There is literally nothing in there to explain the sound that comes out. No TO-3 output devices. No big output caps. The power supply dates back to the Paleozoic Era. There are some tiny power transistors -- smaller than beans (but magic beans!) -- strapped to a heat sink the size of a playing card. If folks are interested, I will post recent pics of the orphan, cleaned and somewhat presentable.

View attachment 1453726
And Yet another JVC convert! Good on you to take a chance on this little receiver that could. I’ve read countless stories similar to yours, new owners shocked at how great JVC gear sounds. I grew up with a JVC, the 5003 receiver, GB-1E omnidirectional speakers and TT, model SRC-700U. System bought new, directly from JVC as my dad was in advertising, and handled all the creative when they started to import to the U.S. Dad still has it, but doesn’t listen to it any more, he’s 92 now, and I need to go pick it up at some point.
Your story is an entertaining read, and great to see you put some work into it. May I suggest adding this to the Let’s see your great JVC gear thread. I’m sure others would be interested in your rescue efforts. There’s also a JVC group on FB.

BTW, the 5010 is 1971-72 vintage.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/jvc/5010.shtml

Cheers, Glenn

Last edited:
Glenn, I just saw your post--yes, the old JVC receivers are magical. I don't now where I came up with 1967; I think the dude at select45rpm.com gave it that date, so I (we) stand corrected. I also have a VR-5521 (sounds great but not cap-coupled and I can't get the DC offset down) and a VR-5551 (sounds good but not quite as magical as the smaller ones). I always look for old JVCs when I'm on Ebay but the prices aren't as low as they used to be. I see you run the newer JVCs--do they sound appreciably different from the early gear?

1967 JVC 5010
16 watts RMS (8 Ω)

View attachment 1453696

View attachment 1453726

Select45rpm.com and I love similar circuit designs very well. Clean it up, give it the service and restoration it needs, and it's likely a nice one to listen to. I respect his views on gear, and we seek the same goals in our audio in most ways.

Back
Top Bottom