Adjusting VTA on Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC?

forgetcolor

Considering a Debut Carbon DC (or more likely an Esprit DC). I may want to put a Nagaoka cartridge on it in place of the 2M Red. But my question is how do I deal with the VTA adjustment on this table. Does it have a mechanism for adjusting tonearm height?

You can't you either use thicker mat or shim the cartridge if the arm is too low. Use arm raisers if arm is too high.

If it's anything like the Pro-Ject 1.2, there are two tiny screws near the base of the arm. You loosen these and the tone arm will unceremoniously thunk down on the base. From there you can raise it back to where you need it, hold it steady, and tighten the screws again. Not very sophisticated. Not very accurate, but it offers a very wide range of VTA.

I don't think the debut carbon is adjustable.
Pro-Ject_Audio_Systems_Debut_Carbon_Phono_USB_Bild_Breit_670.jpg

You can't you either use thicker mat or shim the cartridge if the arm is too low. Use arm raisers if arm is too high.

Ok. I thought part of the point of the acryl-it platter was that you didn't need a mat (and maybe wouldnt' want one to keep the low static properties of the platter in place)?

Ok. I thought part of the point of the acryl-it platter was that you didn't need a mat (and maybe wouldnt' want one to keep the low static properties of the platter in place)?

Yes the acrylic platter does not ring like a metal platter thus no need for a mat.

I've been looking around to try and figure out the raisers you mention but can't find anything.

Unfortunately there is no option for a VTA on this model. On some, even older models like RPM there is such possibility but not on Debut Carbon
17357781255_82ea1f27ec_z.jpg

16735363294_173a39da6b_z.jpg

I've been looking around to try and figure out the raisers you mention but can't find anything. Can you describe them or point me in the right direction? thanks!

Basically it's like a shim that goes under the arm base. You will need to take the arm out.
You can probably make them out of sheet aluminum.
What kind of cartridge are you using? IMO the 2M is on the taller end of cartridges. Most cartridges are no where that tall. You will more likely run into arm being too high than too low issues.
The other thing you can do is see if you can lower the platter bearing assembly.

Last edited:
What kind of cartridge are you using? IMO the 2M is on the taller end of cartridges. Most cartridges are no where that tall. You will more likely run into arm being too high than too low issues.

I don't have the TT yet, just researching before buying. I'm partial to Nagaoka cartridges, so would probably stick with them (but get a better one like MP-200). So you may be right that shims on headshell will do it (if I need it).

I will say that I really like the VTA adjustment on my AT-LP120. It allowed me to easily hear what differences VTA makes to the sound as I could raise the arm, adjust the height, lower the arm, etc. Mounting shims on the cartridge or tonearm base is a much different and less interactive method.

Well if you like the VTA on the LP120 why not just find a used SL-1200?
The cost of a Debut Carbon should land you a very nice SL-1200.

Considering a Debut Carbon DC (or more likely an Esprit DC). I may want to put a Nagaoka cartridge on it in place of the 2M Red. But my question is how do I deal with the VTA adjustment on this table. Does it have a mechanism for adjusting tonearm height?
I have a Project Debut Carbon DC turntable with an acrylic platter, and I upgraded from an Ortofon 2M Red to a Shelter 201. The tonearm slopes minutely up towards the cartridge. There is a difference of 1.0 mm in height between the two cartridges. The Shelter 201 is warm and the definition is very good, and it sounds great right out of the box. It is substantially better than the 2M Red. However, it is not a fair comparison due to the difference in cost. Initially, I was leaning towards the Ortofon 2M Blue based on the reviews but don't like overly bright highs. Anyway, I'm sure the Shelter 201 would benefit from a better VTA. Even if it is not audible, it would be technically correct and the stylus may wear better. My plan is to buy a sheet of 1.0 mm carbon fiber like from Amazon to make sure nothing is transmitted through to the tonearm and place a shim between the plinth and the base of the tonearm. Would be interested in anyone's thoughts from the community. Has anyone done this? Will it work? Other ideas?

Graverobbing this post but FWIW, just picked up a Debut Carbon DC with the 2M Red and it's actually sitting slightly "Tail Down" when checked with bubble level. I'm planning on transplanting my AT150MLx from my old TT as the 2M is 18mm in height and the AT150MLx is 17.2mm, so VTA should be spot on.

Back
Top Bottom