Any difference between coax digital cable and RCA?

89grand

Addicted Member
I connected my older Toshiba DVD player to my Denon receiver using the coax digital output from the DVD player to the coax digital input on the receiver to do some side by side comparisons between the Toshiba and my old Yamaha CDP that only has analog out.

I don't have a "true" digital cable, just a decent quality single RCA cable for the digital connection. The cable is about 2', is there any benefit to using an actual digital cable vs the RCA?

There's no such thing as a digital cable. The benefit of using coax vs. RCA is better shielding and often a thicker solid-core conductor. It'll carry the signal farther with less attenuation and less electromagnetic interference.

You should also try out the analog outputs of the Toshiba DVD player, as by using the digital feed to the receiver you are using the receiver's DAC... there's no reason to assume it's any better than the DAC in the DVD player without hearing both.

Coax is a cable type, like twin-lead, speaker cable, etc....

RCA is a plug/terminator/cable end* that goes on the end of a cable, usually, but not always, coax cable. To add to the confusion, "digital coax" cables use RCA connectors on the ends.

* so are "F" connectors, BNC connectors, S-Video, etc, etc...

I also compared the analog outputs of the Toshiba as well. I haven't decided what I think between the Toshiba, digital out, analog out and the old Yamaha analog out. I couldn't tell much if any difference between the Toshiba analog and digital out. It's was a mid level player when new so the DAC is fine I'm sure, the Denon was expensive in it's day, it's a AVR-2802, but it I haven't determined if the DAC seems to sound better, they sound pretty much the same to me.

Just curious about the cables. I said "true" digital cable, meaning labeled as digital vs standard RCA. In other words, I'm asking between a cable labled as digital, that has an RCA connector on both ends (not a toslink) and a standard audio cable with RCA connectors on both ends.

Last edited:
In my experience, virtually any cable with RCA plugs* on the end have worked well for "digital coax" cables in home usage. Now, if you try to run it into another apartment, well...

* Red & white audio. Yellow, green, blue & red video

The primary difference between "digital" coax cable and ordinary audio cable (which is also coax, btw) is heavier shielding and a 75 ohm impedance. Whether you use a 1M, 2M or other length cable, the total impedance of cable and connectors is supposed to be controlled at 75 ohm over the entire intended bandwidth. This kind of load standardization isn't usually applied to audio cables because audio is a much narrower bandwidth than digital or RF (the other application where 75 ohm matters). But for more or less average 1M cables, decent quality audio and "digital" coax will be probably be interchangeable most of the time.

Last edited:
A bit more detail here \ Cable "quality" hard to test with digital.

A "typical" audio cable may have a shield constructed of several bare wires wound in a spiral fashion the entire length of the cable, over an insulated center wire.

At audio frequencies, this will not matter much and will not disturb the signal greatly (better quality audio cables aren't built this way)

Digital\video\S\PDIF signals are a different thing, they cover a wide spectrum of frequencies and an audio cable with a spiral wound shield may look like a "coil" of wire instead of a direct connection, coils tend to pass low frequencies and tend to block higher ones (general assumption here).

That would mess up a signal that has a wide range of frequencies (way above audio), the longer the cable the more "scrambled" the signal might become.

Many digital systems use some type of error correction and are "happy-est" with a low rate of errors.
If a "marginal" quality cable is used, there may be digital errors introduced with-out the user knowing about it (the errors are automatically being delt with)

OK, so any cable should work right?.... MAYBE!

As the system corrects for the "cable" errors, it has less ability to correct for any additional errors (dirty disk, external noise, etc.) and the result is less "headroom" (correction ability) available.

The "good quality" cables are done with another type of shield construction, it is a "braided or woven" construction, the strands go in two directions, being interlocked as they go, leaving a flexible but more solid even construction that A)Allows the signal to flow with minimum disruption, B) Provides a solid barrier to outside noise\interference.

The result is that the "bandwidth" (low and high frequencies) is mostly flat and even with as little dips\peaks as possible, that a cheap audio cable might cause.

I used to work at a company that produced digital switching equipment, and we could "see" (using digital analyzers) the effect of a poor transmission line\cable, often if just a foot of extra cable was added, the error rate would skyrocket.

Rather than use "any chunk of cheap wire" to connect your digital devices, do this-

Use a good quality 75 Ohm cable when required by the type of signal you are carrying, this way you keep the error rates down, maintaining a good "headroom" to deal with possible "source related" errors and their correction, and keep the "digital stream" as pure and error free as possible.

Unlike analog, when you run out of correction "headroom", digital really crashes badly! (digital TV never fades to "snow", it gets "block-ey" and quits!).

Mark T.:music:

The only difference between a cable used for analog signal and a cable used for digital signal is that the digital cables usually are made out of coax instead of side-by-side conductors, have better shielding, and are made out of better materials. I prefer to use the digital coaxial cables just for the reasons above. Better cable means better signal.
Again, doesn't matter which you use, just one is made better than the other.

This be the reason all of my more important cables are coax, like the beefy cable going between my pre and power amps and the one going from the tape out to my mixer.
Also the reason guitar cables and pro audio cables are coax.

Pro audio cables, at least with regard to analog audio interconnects (and also AES-EBU digital), are virtually always shielded twisted pair to facilitate the balanced connections.

I know this is an ancient discussion but I have never been able to use a regular audio RCA type interconnect and guest any sound out if my Digital RCA output. I just the cable marked digital audio and it works perfect every time. Keep in mind that a have a very large bin full of audio interconnect cables as well. I have also fabbed my own custom length cables for car audio competition systems using very high quality microphone cable and nice heavy duty gold RCA ends. I keep on reading how there is no difference, but yet i can only get sound using a specific cable. I have also tried all yellow, red, blue, green and every other cable made and haven't ever heard any found so hiw many of you have actually used a regular cable and had it work? Or are you all just assuming this is possible? Also if you do hear anything is it registering as a surround sound compliant source. Is your receiver decoding it as 5.1 or 7.1 or is it simply a mono signal or a stereo analog signal. Also what about the quality of the signal, is it still getting 96bit sound with sample rate frequencies above or equal to CD quality (41000)?
I really find this are to believe since I've been trying this for at least 15 years and never had it work! I bought a 10 foot digital RCA 15 years ago for $10 and to this day it's the only cable that will produce sound. I just tried about 20 regular cables on 5 different combinations of receivers and DVD players and nothing worked!

I keep on reading how there is no difference, but yet i can only get sound using a specific cable. I have also tried all yellow, red, blue, green and every other cable made and haven't ever heard any found so hiw many of you have actually used a regular cable and had it work? Or are you all just assuming this is possible? Also if you do hear anything is it registering as a surround sound compliant source. Is your receiver decoding it as 5.1 or 7.1 or is it simply a mono signal or a stereo analog signal. Also what about the quality of the signal, is it still getting 96bit sound with sample rate frequencies above or equal to CD quality (41000)?
I really find this are to believe since I've been trying this for at least 15 years and never had it work! I bought a 10 foot digital RCA 15 years ago for $10 and to this day it's the only cable that will produce sound. I just tried about 20 regular cables on 5 different combinations of receivers and DVD players and nothing worked!
I've used random RCA-to-RCA cables gathered from who-knows-where on all sorts of digital connections and they've all just worked as intended by the device manufacturer, except for the occasional one that's had an end damaged internally -- probably from getting stuck under the furniture and being pulled (yeah, I've done that) -- or been chewed to shorting point by a pet or a pest.

Are you experiencing this on a variety of devices, or just one?

I've used all sorts of "audio" interconnects (red, white, yellow, etc...) for a "digital coax" on many different devices over the past many years and have never had a problem. They have never been longer than six feet though.

IMG_20191105_110529.jpg IMG_20191105_110605.jpg
I've used random RCA-to-RCA cables gathered from who-knows-where on all sorts of digital connections and they've all just worked as intended by the device manufacturer, except for the occasional one that's had an end damaged internally -- probably from getting stuck under the furniture and being pulled (yeah, I've done that) -- or been chewed to shorting point by a pet or a pest.

Are you experiencing this on a variety of devices, or just one?

I have been trying regular RCA audio cables on literally hundreds of receivers amps and CD/ DVD players, from my tv to my receivers over and over until I just gave up. I buy and sell stereo stuff, so I'm getting 4 to 6 receivers a week on average, they range from crappy all in ones with built in DVD players to nice Denon 7.1 receivers and when I have a cheap one set up for a buyer to come hear, I always have to explain that they will need to use the digital or optical inputs from their tv to be able to hear surround sound on that receiver (when they aren't playing a disc), I always try another RCA right away for demonstration to show that it does work but every time I need to come and get my special cable from my own system. I have also had numerous buyers contact me asking why they aren't getting any digital sound when using a regular RCA since they can't find the digital ones for sale. So I've been through this so many times I gave up even trying them. After 50 failed attempts I came to the conclusion that it simply won't work. Last time I tried it was a week ago using a very nice thick cable with big gold ends, I tried all 5 cables that were in bunch and also tried a nice composite right away and had nothing. I have piles of cables but only 1 digital. I use it to send sound from my tv to my many revolving av receivers that come and go. I have settled on an old pioneer elite VSX-56TSi since one of the speaker posts snapped off and I had to do a quick fix that didn't involve removing even one screw. I drilled a hole in the center of the broken output then tapped the hole to screw another post directly on the old one. Works perfectly but nobody is going to buy it like that, so it's mine for life now (or I get something nicer that has worse cosmetic damage). It's 150w per chnl 7.1 THX. I don't even have a sub connected, Snell series 4 fronts put out enough bass, no HDMI, no DVD or Blu-ray, never bought a DVD in my life, don't have pay services, don't go to movies, don't care to watch movies unless it has real actors and a good story (so that's very limited to maybe 1 or 2 a month and only when it's free and I have nothing to do which is never). But I do have a stack of 2 channel amps and receivers and a wall covered in speakers with wired selectors to choose which amp and that leads into another switch that selects which speakers. TV is rarely on, mostly I sit in silence listening to the tenitus ringing in my ears.

I have been trying regular RCA audio cables on literally hundreds of receivers amps and CD/ DVD players, from my tv to my receivers over and over until I just gave up. I buy and sell stereo stuff, so I'm getting 4 to 6 receivers a week on average, they range from crappy all in ones with built in DVD players to nice Denon 7.1 receivers and when I have a cheap one set up for a buyer to come hear, I always have to explain that they will need to use the digital or optical inputs from their tv to be able to hear surround sound on that receiver (when they aren't playing a disc), I always try another RCA right away for demonstration to show that it does work but every time I need to come and get my special cable from my own system. I have also had numerous buyers contact me asking why they aren't getting any digital sound when using a regular RCA since they can't find the digital ones for sale. So I've been through this so many times I gave up even trying them. After 50 failed attempts I came to the conclusion that it simply won't work.
It works.

Or it should work.

How long are the cables that don't work?

How long is the cable that does work?

To add more confusion.

a digital coax RCA cable is marketed as 75ohm because the coax is 75ohm but a RCA connector is NOT 75ohm, so makes the cable 50ohm. You need BNC to make it true 75ohm.

digital coax carries 1’s and 0’s
RCA carries analog.

So no matter what cable type you use, if you are using it for digital it just needs to carry a “bit perfect” transmission.

zinda: Unless your posts are meant as a joke, I'd deem it likely that your setup has a problem (quite possibly ground-loop-related, which this one digital cable might fix by actually being broken and merely providing a sufficient capacitive coupling.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

The primary difference between "digital" coax cable and ordinary audio cable (which is also coax, btw)

What do you mean by that? Coaxial cable is called like that because conductors are on axis (one insulated solid wire inside another "tube" wire). Afaik ordinary audio cable is side by side except for the connectors if it's RCA.

Back
Top Bottom