Any Older CDPs Play Burned CDs?

I had a pioneer laserdisc player that played cds (forget which model) and when I placed a cd-r in it, the player recognized the disc but what came out of the speakers was a different story! Very gravelly, distorted audio-I was fascinated that I was hearing such a fault as digital is such an all-go or no-go medium.

The advice on bringing a test disc seems sound, as I would feel most folks now would be mostly inclined to donate an otherwise working player if it didn't play their burnables.

My old Magnavox FD 1010SL (1983 vintage, CDM-0 transport) plays CD-R media as does my 1986 vintage JVC XL-Z 444 player. Both have good strong laser units. They don't play CD-RW media. My Tascam CD-RW 750 does play and record those discs well. I am covered! :tresbon:

I find that older CDP's will play CD-R's as well or better than newer machines that play all kinds of disks. For example, my Magnavox and Denon DVD player sometimes have a hard time playing CD-R's. For compact disk players, I own a JVC XL-V211, Pioneer CLD-5201 Laser Disk player and a Denon DCM 360 changer.

Nothing but thrift store units here going back to 85 and no probs at all. Magnavox,Sony and an ADC that will break my heart when it dies! My favorites are Magnavox dual 1540 dac's. Sound just fine and can be used as just transports. My secret (ha ha!) weapons!

Get Yourself a Sony Playstation 1. They are 20.00 or less just about
anywhere. I have the model #5501 and it plays all the cdr's I have
thrown at it and sounds amazing. Most say the #1001 is the
one to have but I have both and prefer the 5501. They are built like
a tank to withstand teen abuse and would be great for a shop or
garage. You can even buy a remote controler at WM built by Sony made
to work with the playstation 2 or 1.

I think this is almost true, but my DVP-S9000 ES- a top of the line combo DVD/CD/SACD player from circa 2000 will NOT play CDRs. From what I understand, this era was the height of the copyright wars, and the player was intentionally designed so that it would not play CDRs.

This player is otherwise a great value, retailed for $1500 now available for ~$250, sounds great on SACD, quite good on redbook and built like a tank. Also a favorite of modders. But if you want to play CDRs, look elsewhere...

The reason I avoid Sony product , very well made but often issues like this.

The old Technics players play CDR's fine , SLP-555 , SLP 990 and and old bottom of the line one. Denon DCD 1015 is fussy though but I think its got laser issues.

I believe CD-R's will work with most CD players but CD-RW discs are a different story.

Yep, those RW discs are different. I think they will play in quite a few players if you make sure to lock the disc after burning. I think you lose the ability to over-write the disc in the future when you do that though. Unlocked discs aren't recognized by most CD players. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, those RW discs are different. I think they will play in quite a few players if you make sure to lock the disc after burning. I think you lose the ability to over-write the disc in the future when you do that though. Unlocked discs aren't recognized by most CD players. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You need to finalize both CDRs and CDRWs before they will play in most CD players, but that is not all:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2498433&postcount=16

My 1986 Sony CDP-35 plays CD-Rs flawlessly. Even the Pioneer LD players (CLD-V2400, -1070, and -V740) play them well.

However, I second the late '90s DVD players can't play CD-Rs at all, my Panasonic DVD-A120, though it reads DVD-Rs without problems.

My 1986 Sony CDP-35 plays CD-Rs flawlessly. Even the Pioneer LD players (CLD-V2400, -1070, and -V740) play them well.

However, I second the late '90s DVD players can't play CD-Rs at all, my Panasonic DVD-A120, though it reads DVD-Rs without problems.

It probably only has a red laser. They did this in the late 90's to cut costs, but by the early 2000's lasers were cheap enough that they started using two again.

Back
Top Bottom