auto return issues

ra7c7er

Chloride Listener
Subscriber
I have a JVC QL-A2 turntable and the turntable has slowly developed a auto return issue.

When the auto return comes back it goes back far enough to rest on the arm stand but when the auto return stops pulling the arm back the arm kicks forward (toward the platter) and the cue lever winds up setting the arm down in between the arm rest and the platter. It's gotten to the point that the arms is nearly coming back far enough and fast enough to sit back down on the record.

While having a auto repeat turntable would be a interesting novelty I don't really want it. Any guesses as to what could be causing the kick back?

I did already try adjusting the auto return screw and that didn't stop the kick back that the arm is doing.

my guess would be petrified sticky grease on the mechanism underneath. Not having ever been inside of one of these, its just a guess but I've had similar whackiness from other autos and semi-autos in the past that were lube related.

Auto Return

I have a QLA5 which used to do the same. There is a lever that pushes the tone arm back to the rest. It has a piece of rubber on the end of the lever. Over the years the rubber becomes sticky and pulls the arm back towards the center. I cleaned the rubber piece with alcohol and put a piece of nylon tape on the end where it moves the tone arm. I have not had the problem after doing that. Maybe your table has the same.

I had a similar issue with my Kenwood KD-3055 where the arm would kick sideways slightly at the end of the record. I took it apart and cleaned all the grease off and re-oiled it. All is golden now.

There is a lever that pushes the tone arm back to the rest. It has a piece of rubber on the end of the lever. Over the years the rubber becomes sticky and pulls the arm back towards the center.

There's your problem. I use a piece of double stick foam tape, but leave the paper on one side.

Thanks guys. I have never taken apart a turntable that I planned on using again so this might be an adventure. At least in theory it seems easy. I even have some foam tape if the rubber is to far gone.

It's a common problem with JVC in particular and I've seen it on several of that brand.

You should get some alcohol on a Q-tip and clean the contact point for that foam rubber thing. As for the replacement pad you might need to play a bit with the thickness as it might activate the return early or late. Almost anything slightly resilient will work; I think I used adhesive backed cork on one table.

Thanks everyone I got it fixed. The auto return works better than it did the day I bought the table.

Back
Top Bottom