BOSE 901, without BOSE EQ?

iloveitloud

Can 901's be made to sound the way they were intended to without the BOSE EQ? The reason I ask is that I already run a spectrum EQ, and use the EQ/base,mid,treble controls as well. With both of those systems together, there is alot of potential to boost low, and high frequencies, which seems to be what the BOSE EQ dose. The main reason for this question is that I don't want to loose the spectrum EQ, due to the BOSE EQ takeing up the tape 2(monitor) input/outputs. Also, I found a good deal on some series V's, But the EQ is not included. Thanks alot for any advise.

The EQ curves are posted in a thread here.

Gonna be KINDA hard to get there.... :tongue:

Can 901's be made to sound the way they were intended to without the BOSE EQ? The reason I ask is that I already run a spectrum EQ, and use the EQ/base,mid,treble controls as well. With both of those systems together, there is alot of potential to boost low, and high frequencies, which seems to be what the BOSE EQ dose. The main reason for this question is that I don't want to loose the spectrum EQ, due to the BOSE EQ takeing up the tape 2(monitor) input/outputs. Also, I found a good deal on some series V's, But the EQ is not included. Thanks alot for any advise.
You won't be able to make them do more than they can, but with a good "other" EQ in-line, you most certainly will be able to get the same or better response that you would with the 901 EQ. Bose didn't invent EQ as a desired stereo component. They were the first (that I know of) to require it as an additional component for their speakers to perform at their best. Even then, a subwoofer and a pair (or array) of tweeters added will make a world of difference in sound quality.

Im not sure about the series V you are contemplating, But I had a set of series IIs and I was never happy with them till I tried a Soundcraftsmen EQ with them, It was a definite improvemant over the factory EQ, so I would think that as Bob Orme suggests that you could use a different EQ and get as good or maybe even better results than the base factory EQ.

IIRC the Bose EQ has another tape loop to compensate for the one it occupies in the pre-amp, so it would be possible to use both, althouh I do agree that you could likely equal or better the Bose EQ with your own.

A standard graphic eq will approximate the performance of the Bose eq, but won't have the same "range". Pretty much all graphic eq's are 12db boost/cut whereas the Bose is greater, I believe 15 db. Ideally, you should at least stick with the Bose eq.

No life to them whatsoever w/o equalizer!!! Cant speak for using another equalizer. I believe that the equalizer for the series IV and V are the same. Series I,II,III equalizers are the same for Series I,II,III speakers, I think. The frequencies are different for the different sets of series.

Yes they do have a tape loop deal. I have always used the preamp to amp hookup for 37 years to my Series I.

Series 1 and 2 definitely use the same equalizer, series 3 is different. I don't know about any of the later models. With Series 2, I have run the recommended Bose equalizer, and also experimented with substituting out the equalizer with BBE sonic maximizer. The results with the sonic maximizer were decent.

The Bose 901's can basically be looked at upon, as a full range speaker with limited range. This is why the equalizer is needed to boost both the bottom, and top end.

Last edited:
I wonder if the usual fixed frequency slider eq wouldn't give a lumpier response than the Bose, which I assume gives a relatively smooth curve. Of course once the speaker is in a room, you are going to have lumpy response because of the room, and so possibly the standard eq might give you a smoother overall response. Especially if its a parametric.
I don't think that the Bose unit is all that expensive used.

The EQ curves are posted in a thread here.

Gonna be KINDA hard to get there.... :tongue:

Here's some info, and some...opinion.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142289

je

attachment.php

Last edited:
the real question is "how ARE the 901's INTENDED to sound?"but you hit the nail on the head as far as boosting hi and low frequencies,after all these are 4" drivers, they need no help w/ midrange frequencies! series 1/2 didnt have a mid control at all, bass is controlled by a 2 position rocker switch,treble w/ a 5 position pot.( I would bet all that "no highs, no lows" crap originated w/ that POS) I use a series 4 EQ w/ ser.1 speakers but I had no problems with 10 bnd pioneer, your spectrum should work just fine.

Old thread but I figured I'd still chime in.. I recently picked up a pair of 901 IIs with the equalizer. The Eq is in need of repair. I have a Luxman C1010 preamp sent to a Technics SH-8055 EQ sent to a Pioneer VSX9700s 125WPC amp. And with this setup minus the Bose EQ the 901's sound great! I also picked up a pair of 501 series IIs from the same person and hooked them up as well. The combination of the 901s and 501s is great! The lows are much better with all 4 speakers running as opposed to the bass of the 901s alone. The other plus of not running the Bose Eq is that I'm able to run the 501s without damaging them. According to the 901 manual you aren't supposed to run any speakers except the 901s with the Eq.

According to the 901 manual you aren't supposed to run any speakers except the 901s with the Eq.
The subjective opinions don't matter.

To play reasonably flat, 901's need the proprietary EQ, period. The curve is unique as is the 20+ db of gain in the lower end and cannot be duplicated by any consumer EQ on the market now or then.

Here is a graph showing how much boost a 901 Equalizer applies to the signal. There is no linear octave equalizer I'm aware of that can supply as much boost. You will note there is little to no boost below ~35Hz or above ~16KHz. This is because of the inherent limitations of 4" speakers.

Old thread but I figured I'd still chime in.. I recently picked up a pair of 901 IIs with the equalizer. The Eq is in need of repair. I have a Luxman C1010 preamp sent to a Technics SH-8055 EQ sent to a Pioneer VSX9700s 125WPC amp. And with this setup minus the Bose EQ the 901's sound great! I also picked up a pair of 501 series IIs from the same person and hooked them up as well. The combination of the 901s and 501s is great! The lows are much better with all 4 speakers running as opposed to the bass of the 901s alone. The other plus of not running the Bose Eq is that I'm able to run the 501s without damaging them. According to the 901 manual you aren't supposed to run any speakers except the 901s with the Eq.
Oh boy what a mess, if I read your system correctly.

You are sending a great preamp signal out to the SH EQ and doing a Bose 901 bump to the bass and treble and pulling back the midrange a bit to make the 901s sing and you have that signal going to the Pioneer. If the 501s are also connected to that same Pioneer, you are subjecting them to the eqed signal for the 901s, eqed through your SH, not the Bose EQ but still, heavily boosted highs and lows will kill a regular speaker, especially the tweeters. All that extra high frequency energy and deep lows added by the eq can hurt things, amps included.

But if you have a second amp and run the 901s with the eq on one amp and the 501s not eqed on the other amp, things would be better for the 501s. I don't think the 901s care about boosted highs and lows as far a damage they are designed to handle that.

You are sending a great preamp signal out to the SH EQ and doing a Bose 901 bump to the bass and treble and pulling back the midrange a bit to make the 901s sing and you have that signal going to the Pioneer. If the 501s are also connected to that same Pioneer, you are subjecting them to the eqed signal for the 901s, eqed through your SH, not the Bose EQ but still, heavily boosted highs and lows will kill a regular speaker, especially the tweeters. All that extra high frequency energy and deep lows added by the eq can hurt things, amps included.

But if you have a second amp and run the 901s with the eq on one amp and the 501s not eqed on the other amp, things would be better for the 501s. I don't think the 901s care about boosted highs and lows as far a damage they are designed to handle that.
I took your advice and am using a seperate amp for the 501s I'm using a mac4280 minus the sh8055. Luckily the Luxman c1010 has 2 preouts so I have #1 to the sh8055 to Pioneer & #2 directly to the Mac4280. Sounds just as good and now the speakers/amps aren't at risk! I also setup a doctors appointment for the 901 Eq! Like I said before this is just a temporary "fix" until I get the 901 Eq in proper working order. I think the Luxman c1010, combined with the sh8055 and the tone settings of the Pioneer receiver make the 901s "work" but I'm sure not to the full potential. I'm excited to get the 901eq back to 100% so I can hear them to there full potential.

The subjective opinions don't matter.

To play reasonably flat, 901's need the proprietary EQ, period. The curve is unique as is the 20+ db of gain in the lower end and cannot be duplicated by any consumer EQ on the market now or then.
I'm not by any means disagreeing with you. My 901 Eq is need of repair and I wanted to see what they sounded like with what I have. With The Luxman c1010 preamp outputed to a Technics SH-8055 sent to a Pioneer VSX9700s receiver using the tone controls I'm able to get pretty good sound from the 901s I'm sure the 901eq will sound much better but this is my temporary solution until I get it repaired.

By the way is that a Luxman C1010 or the C1000 in your profile pic? I will never ever sell my C1010! Best preamp I've ever owned! Gotta love all the phono settings! You can really dial in the sound just how you want it!

Back
Top Bottom