Bsr Dr-1550

stephenwhitney

Stephen Daedalus
As part of someone's old system that I got recently (primarily for the electronics), I now have a pair of BSR DR-1550s. The woofers and one set of midranges need new foam. My question is whether anyone knows whether these speakers are worth the trouble.

They look interesting. (I will post photos if I can.) They have a front-firing horn tweeter, mid-range with clearish plastic cone material, and 15" woofer, plus an upward-firing horn and smaller midrange. The cabinets are pretty substantial and covered with wood-grained vinyl. I can't evaluate the sound very well with the foam problems.

I have never seen anything like these and don't know about BSR's place in the scheme of things. Any information or opinions would be very welcome.

I think that they may be from the DAK era of BSR -- BSR went through a series of owners and ended up being sold through Drew Kaplan's catalogue of closeouts and so on, all sold with exclamation marks. They might be one of the "Thunder Lizard"(!) models. Might be perfectly fine, but not particularly well built or designed.

Pictures

I remember DAK. I bought some tape from them--lousy stuff that shed oxide on the tape heads. And now that you mention it I remember their ads for Thunder Lizards, which I thought seemed absurd. How ironic if I've ended up with some!

The BSR DR-1550s look like this.

Attachments

• BSR DR-1550.JPG
    BSR DR-1550.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 147
  • BSR DR-1550 top.JPG
    BSR DR-1550 top.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 184
A friend of mine had a pair several years back (or a model very similar). I recall thinking they sounded great driven by a 30wpc RS receiver (i don't recall the model, just that it was 30wpc - go figure). Course, that was quite a few years ago and I was likely under the influence of one thing or another at the time. If you were to ask me to describe their sound, I couldn't do it. Regardless, if they were already in my possession, I'd refoam 'em and find out what they're all about.

Mr Russel

I have a pair of these BSR DR-1150 speakers. I bought them new from DAK in 88. Original price was $199 each. Just recently both the 5" top and 8" front mid-ranges suffered from the foam surround rot. Had the foam surrounds replaced and the speakers are again perfect. Used them for years as front mains, I am now using them as rear surrounds in my 7.1 digital surround system with Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver. The performance is still exceptional, especially with the clarity of the midrange and highs. Individual volume controls for the mid and highs are provided. Also fused power lead to protect from burnout.

The dual set of drivers on the box provides a brillant clear midrange and highs improving the spacial imaging without adding coloration. They have no problem handling high power rated at 150 rms and 200 peak. Closed box acoustic suspension combined with the 15" woofer provides clear accurate bass.

I would recommend the foam surround repair and continue using them. You will not be disappointed. I have tried many new speakers sets over the years and can only approach the performance, having never actually found a speaker in the $500 each range which outperforms them. In a large room the cabinet is an awsome, large full size speaker enclosure from the old school of building closed box acoustic suspension, which is hard to find nowdays.

They're great if you want lots of noise. Crank 'em up they rock!. If you want quality sound, you may be quite dissapionted. I had a pair and must have loaned them out or sold them or something, I don't remember. Either way, they're gone and I don't really miss them. Good luck with them. You may really enjoy them.

Dave

I just got a hold of a pair of the BSR DR-1150 speakers for the incredible low price of $0. I replaced the foam on the midranges but one of the woofers are blown. Can you suggest a replacement?

Back
Top Bottom