Craigslist, Seattle smattering ...

Yea, it was my player. They sound good.

I can't believe you got those for 50 bucks. No deals like that around here.

Crazy part is they sat there for over a month. OfferUp is usually pretty quickly swept up when it comes to rarer audio stuff.

I'm enjoying watching the progression of these karlsons via craigslist. 3rd time I've seen them for sale now.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ele/d/vintage-pair-of-karlson/6220490531.html

Lol! It's the CIRCLE OF LIIIIFFFEE!

The guy came yesterday and traded me a AudioSource 7T in mint condition for them. I figured he'd actually use them, but apparently he thinks his marketing skills are better.

It sucks, because they're so beautiful and sound great. They were just too big in my living room.

Those look like early KEF B110 midrange drivers, with a Phillips soft dome tweeter and sorta generic 10-12" woofer. The midranges are very useful and sought after.

9c12aa3f02964b3989b9512a6de7022b.jpg

Those look like early KEF B110 midrange drivers, with a Phillips soft dome tweeter and sorta generic 10-12" woofer. The midranges are very useful and sought after.

9c12aa3f02964b3989b9512a6de7022b.jpg
Sure, if you call a custom modified Eminence woofer generic. (If they are stock) the surround looks orig, so im guessing stock. 12" it is. Chapman used 3 woofers mainly. First, Eminence. Then moved to Credence, today he uses Dayton. All of which are known only as Chapman woofers due to the fact all 3 companies manufacture them to his specific specs. Which is why in ALL Chapman literature his woofers are refered to as Chapman woofer. The 10" of the T7 which put him on the map, as far as bad ass base from a 10"driver. The orig t-7 shortie with bass performance that is better than a vast percentage of vintage offerings. The SCJ1 however, is not as good in bass, even though a 12" driver. Go figure.

Last edited:
My mistake and apologies. I am not familiar with Chapman or Eminence woofers other than what I've read about them. IME, many many woofers with stamped frames, smooth cones, large dustcaps and ubiquitous foam surrounds of the 70's could have come from any number of manufacturers and been used by any number of custom and OEM houses.

Obviously, these speakers have a lot more design care and parts selection in them than was typical of mass produced chain store types - IIRC, the Seattle market had a lot of smart people designing speakers. I should have stuck to what I know more, namely the KEF and Phillips drivers.

Sure, if you call a custom modified Eminence woofer generic. (If they are stock) the surround looks orig, so im guessing stock. 12" it is. Chapman used 3 woofers mainly. First, Eminence. Then moved to Credence, today he uses Dayton. All of which are known only as Chapman woofers due to the fact all 3 companies manufacture them to his specific specs. Which is why in ALL Chapman literature his woofers are refered to as Chapman woofer. The 10" of the T7 which put him on the map, as far as bad ass base from a 10"driver. The orig t-7 shortie with bass performance that is better than a vast percentage of vintage offerings. The SCJ1 however, is not as good in bass, even though a 12" driver. Go figure.
ta

So
My mistake and apologies. I am not familiar with Chapman or Eminence woofers other than what I've read about them. IME, many many woofers with stamped frames, smooth cones, large dustcaps and ubiquitous foam surrounds of the 70's could have come from any number of manufacturers and been used by any number of custom and OEM houses.

Obviously, these speakers have a lot more design care and parts selection in them than was typical of mass produced chain store types - IIRC, the Seattle market had a lot of smart people designing speakers. I should have stuck to what I know more, namely the KEF and Phillips drivers.

ta
Sorry, was not my intention to sound offended, just wanted to inform. Them woofers could indeed be just about anything at this point given the multitudes as you mention. Foam were inverted like we see here, but also looks cracked out, leading me to think there stock.
Correct indeed on the keff and Philips as you well know. The Audax was also used, (not in the scj1) as well as Vifa. Tweets were Audax/Polydax, Peerless, MB Quart, LPG, seas, to name most. (Not in the scj1)Today they (tweets)and the mids are Scanspeak.
I bought the first prototype of the scj1 from Stuart about 6 years ago. What i found inside, shocked me. Same tjing whenni cracked open a little T-3 (similar to Rogers). My my..between Chapman and ADS ive rather lost my marbles.
The interesting thing is that, with all the drivers Chapman has used over the years, he manages to have a continuity in sound. Mostly anyway. But then, im slightly partial...;)

Thanks for the response allhart. I’ve had the original shorties and the bass was fantastic. Right now I’m switching between a 10 year old set of T7’s with the scanspeak mid and the German lp26 (?) tweeter and a set of chapman b250’s and truely am shocked how well the 40 year old bookshelf keeps up with a modern speaker. I’m liquidating so no more for me.

Barzilay console with Dual turntable, Sherwood receiver and what looks like a pair of Recilinear Lowboy speakers - all for $300.

Pictures for posterity:

00E0E_9oGlSjXAmUK_1200x900.jpg

00S0S_4Lg66JvJNsy_1200x900.jpg

00w0w_3PXIAaGXDAy_1200x900.jpg

00101_6lBlSffnG3A_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_6674IxBzunW_1200x900.jpg

If that was closer to me, it would already be mine. I hope it goes to a fellow AKer.

Back
Top Bottom