Different Bose 901 generations

Ollollo

Can anyone rate the different generations and perhaps explain a little bit about them, such as different characteristics/quality?

I think the third generation and onwards had ported cabinets. I also understand there are different EQ:s for different generations. Did the drivers specs change? I have seem some with three mounting screw holes, and some with four. Some have blue material in the cones, some black. Some have cloth fringes, some have foam. It's all a bit confusing.

Cheers!

Can anyone rate the different generations and perhaps explain a little bit about them, such as different characteristics/quality?

I think the third generation and onwards had ported cabinets. I also understand there are different EQ:s for different generations. Did the drivers specs change? I have seem some with three mounting screw holes, and some with four. Some have blue material in the cones, some black. Some have cloth fringes, some have foam. It's all a bit confusing.

Cheers!
Original, often referred to as Series I but not marketed as such, were A.S. (air suspension or acoustic suspension). Drivers, supposedly, were manufactured by CTS to Bose specifications, and were 8-ohm. Series II, also A.S., had drivers manufactured in house and bear the name Bose on the cones. Supposedly each driver was tested and 18 were then "matched" for optimum performance. There was also an update to the Active EQ, but I don't know the specifics. Both can share either EQ.

Series III was the first B.R. (bass reflex or ported design). Many opinions on the reason for the change, but most seem to agree about usability with lower power amps, etc. These went to 1-ohm drivers wired in parallel(?). Another EQ was designed for these speakers. Series IV I'm not sure what exactly is different, but again EQ's were supposedly interchangeable.

Series V and VI, again, have interchangeable EQ's, but I believe based on other posts had even better EQ's and not as much changed (dramatically) in the cabinet or driver designs (or did they add the wizzer cone?).

In order of preference, most seem to like II, then I, then VI. Some have indicated a strong preference for the VI, but not sure of the specifics.

Now, there are people who have actually owned many of the models and know more than I, for sure, and likely will chime in and correct any errors or omissions on my part.

Personally I own Series I and I'm quite happy with them.

Copa1934's description is probably as good as it's gonna get. Fundamentally, they all have the spacious sound due to a similar direct/reflective pattern. I own the V's and also quite happy with them. As I age, I seem to be growing into them.

Some of the latter ones have a different rear grill design, but I am unsure if they are all like this.

The odd numbers are the major upgrades. The I and the II are almost alike, the III and the IV should sound exactly alike, the V and the VI are almost alike. Or you might consider the Series III to be the only radical change.

The I and II have fabric surrounds, treated with oil, which seem to last forever. They have 4" drivers. I recently found out that late Series II's have foam surrounds. The cabinet is also made out of solid wood. I've never heard the early ones. Some people say they were the best. Other people say that they lacked detail in the bass and smoothness in the treble, compared to newer generations. The I and II went deeper in the base, if one doesn't engage the Bass switch on the EQ. By cutting off the bass below 40hz, that control reduces the required amplifier power.

The originals and the Series II were flat in front. They had cloth grills, but with an optional walnut cover with a gap for the front driver.

The Series II was available in an edition known as the Continental, which should sound the same as other Series II's, but has a curved front, so it resembles the later Series III and IV, but with a corded grill.

The Series III and later have 4.5" inch drivers. The early ones are known for being power-hungry. this was fixed with the Series III, by giving them a more flexible voice coil, made of flat (helical) aluminum. The III also introduced the plastic internal compartment known as the Acoustic Matrix, in part to improve the bass. The ported designs have attenuated bass below 38hz (without the need for a switch). They also have wind noise, which isn't noticeable as noise, but which can make the bass sound somewhat muddy.

The original acoustic matrix was enclosed only by the particle board cabinet. The later ones are enclosed in plastic, so theoretically, you could remove the outer cabinet and still play them. They made this change in the middle of a Series run. I don't recall if it was when they were making Series III or IV.

The V added a coating to the back of the cones, to smooth out the low treble and high midrange. This ostensibly gives you more natural female voices.

To my ears, the VI do sound subtly clearer than the IV.

The V had aluminum on the sides; nobody liked the looks, and some also claimed that the aluminum sides hurt the sound. That was the main reason they were replaced by the VI. The VI also had changes to the equalization, partly to adjust the sound to compensate for the change to particle board and wood veneer on the sides of the cabinets, partly because Bose "performed research" (changed their minds) about the acoustics in an average home.

If you have the III, IV, or early V, or II with foam surrounds, then by now the foam surrounds should be brittle, unless, of course, they've already been replaced. If you don't do the work yourself, replacing the surrounds is expensive because each speaker has nine of them. Later V's and original VI's have improved foam, replaced with some antibacterial substance to imcrease their life. Now Bose is selling the Series VI Version 2, which returns to cloth surrounds.

Bose has a transferable trade-up policy. If the foam surrounds go bad, you pay for the shipment to Framingham, Massachusetts. For a discounted price, which keeps going up, you get new speakers and equalizer. they tell you to keep your present pedestals.

(I wonder what they do with the old speakers and equalizers.)

I used to own the 901 Series IV. I asked a Bose representative if I could upgrade them by replacing just the equalizer. His answer was no, that would make them spikier. Each generation of EQ is optimized to each generation of speaker. However, as I pointed out before, there is relatively little difference between EQs of Series I and II, between III and IV, and between V and VI.

Suffice it to say that the Series I and the Series II are *basically* the same speaker, and the Series III, IV, V and VI are basically alike. The III and IV had with an extra connection for the Bose Spatial Control Receiver, which permitted the user to attenuate either the inner or outer rear banks, to widen or narrow the image.

Last edited:
Good stuff in here, many thanks all!

Hoho, if I understand you correctly, serie I and II had 4 inch drivers and later models had 4.5 inch drivers?

I have a pair of series II. I can't detect any difference in the sound when I switch the EQ between "Below 40" and "Contour". Should I hear some boost on low bass when it is set at "Below 40"?

Hoho, if I understand you correctly, serie I and II had 4 inch drivers and later models had 4.5 inch drivers?

I have a pair of series II. I can't detect any difference in the sound when I switch the EQ between "Below 40" and "Contour". Should I hear some boost on low bass when it is set at "Below 40"?

Not "boost" per se, the switch is basically a filter to filter out any below 40Hz information, in the open position it allows 40Hz information through to the speakers, and keep in mind most recordings don't have a lot of below 40Hz information if any... ;)

I have II and III. I like more my II with the creme-white cloth and brown walnut cabinet. Even the sound is in my opinion a bit better than the III.

I have a set of series ii Continental. I love them. They are my barn speakers, hooked up to a Fisher RS-1080. Classic rock all the time. Chickens make better eggs with them running. ymmv:thmbsp:

I've made a point of not having anything Bose in my household, and seems to be a good one. My brother had Bose 901 speakers, then later got rid of them. These are really about 90% about the EQ. If you heard them without the EQ, you'd know in a hurry.

Yes on both counts. You need a more powerful amp if you're listening to a recording with deep bass, without the bass filter engaged. Turntable rumble might be irritating too.

The original acoustic matrix was enclosed only by the particle board cabinet. The later ones are enclosed in plastic, so theoretically, you could remove the outer cabinet and still play them. They made this change in the middle of a Series run. I don't recall if it was when they were making Series III or IV.
The top and bottom wood panels are an integral part of the matrix enclosure. If you remove them, you have two gaping holes in your speaker.

I don't have sales numbers but the V's had their run. I like mine and really consider them the best due to the aluminum side panel. When the VI's came out, they seem decontented to me. The PDF side panels are super cheap to produce, the molded grill on the back, likewise.

I also wonder what happens to all the old 901's sent to Bose.

"I also wonder what happens to all the old 901's sent to Bose. "

they are replaced with the foam surround drivers and sold mostly in asia, malaysia, and some third world countries. really.

I'm considering sending in the EQ for a recap to a shop here in Sweden. Does anyone know of a list och scheme of parts that should be changed? Thanks!

Thanks for all the detailed informations here. As I mentioned I have II and III. I like the III and use them quite often, and I will do so until the foam goes to hell again. Refoaming was 2006 by a professional restorer. But I love the II.

This thread raised up a question. Hoho, you are obviously very familiar with 901 and you mentioned that late II have foam surrounds. It is actually impossible for me to remove the covers without damaging something, how can I realise if my II are early or late and have foam surrounds or not?

Please an answer, thanks!

i recently refoamed a pair of series II.
the rear grills were held on with velcro and came right off, along with the plastic rings that poke out the back like tail-fins.
the front grill was a real pain, it was stapled to the plastic housing. 4 staples, one in each corner. I struggled to get 2 out of one side...then bent back the grill to dislodge the other side.
Now the front grills are held with velcro...i wasn't gonna staple them back.

the cabinets were dated August 1978...blue cones with Bose on the dust caps.

Are you sure you mean Bose series II? They weren´t built anymore in 1978, as far as I know. That was the age of series III, I think.

:scratch2:

BillyThaKid, you have late Series III or early Series IV. If the rear grill has Velcro, then somebody has worked on them before. The rear grills on earlier 901s were stapled on. The grills on the later ones have repositionable glue, so the cloth grill is easy to remove and put back on.

All 901s came with front grills that are stapled. They are difficult to remove without damage.

Harmonkardon, I don't know quite as much as you think. I would guess that the way to tell if the surrounds are corroded is to play Telarc's classic CD of the 1812 Overture, at a normal comfortable volume, and see if one of the cannon shots bottoms out. Use a powerful amp so you know that any harsh sound is the fault of the surrounds, not the amp clipping. (That is how it works with a later, vented model.)

Back
Top Bottom