ELAC and JVC garage sale score

Sam Cogley

Last of the Time Lords
Subscriber
Picked up these two turntables for a grand total of $25. The JVC arm is, I think, going onto my Empire 598. The ELAC/Miracord/Realistic 45 will probably be removed from the plinth and used in a console (Stromberg-Carlson electronics going into a cool mid-century Philco cabinet). The Realistic-branded Shure N75 will likely be replaced with an N91ED that I have hanging around. The JVC's dust cover is intact, but the ELAC's is shattered.

The ELAC's headshell is loose on the arm tube and needs to be reglued. Any ideas on how to make sure it's aligned properly?
Both tables need to be cleaned and lubricated.

Any information about the care and feeding of these tables is greatly appreciated.

ELAC45_1.jpg

JVC_idler_1.jpg

JVC_idler_2.jpg

Also, does anyone know what this mat came from? The design is aggravatingly familiar.

mat.jpg

Last edited:
The cartridge taped to the back of the JVC's deck is the original Victor MD-1004, which is a rebranded AT6E.

Anyone know if other ELAC spindles will interchange with the 45? I'll probably only use it for single-play, but it's nice to have the changer spindles.

Last edited:
I've already pulled the arm from the JVC, I'm going to have to make an extension shaft for the Empire but it should be just the right length. Since my 598 had the silver finish instead of gold (and I think I'm going to have to sandblast it and paint anyway), the chrome arm will fit right in. I'll only have to drill two little holes for the anti-skate weight hanger. That has to be the earliest arm I've ever seen with the SME/Japanese standard headshell socket.

I've already pulled the arm from the JVC, I'm going to have to make an extension shaft for the Empire but it should be just the right length. Since my 598 had the silver finish instead of gold (and I think I'm going to have to sandblast it and paint anyway), the chrome arm will fit right in. I'll only have to drill two little holes for the anti-skate weight hanger. That has to be the earliest arm I've ever seen with the SME/Japanese standard headshell socket.

Nice find! I would have left the arm on the JVC and used as is.

Nice find! I would have left the arm on the JVC and used as is.

Too many tables around here that are superior to the JVC as it is, but the arm has extremely nice pivots. After a rewire it should be quite the performer, especially for a 45-year-old arm. That table has a rather lightweight stamped platter, not the best thing for an idler drive. The ELAC/Miracord/Realistic 45, on the other hand, is built like a freakin' tank. All it needs is a cleaning and better cables.

Hmm...with some tinkering and a fresh coat of walnut veneer, the JVC's plinth and dustcover might make a very nice new home for my AR XA...

The arm of that JVC does look pretty cool. Looking forward to be seeing it on it's new station. :)

Always liked the look of the plinth of the the Elac too for some reason, I'd refinish that and resell it if it were mine considering what they fetch here.

Back
Top Bottom